Was Avatar All THAT?

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Was Avatar All THAT?

Post by PressBot »

Stereoscopic 3D gaming has been around for over ten years, and 3D movies much longer than that.  Prior to Avatar, while not as grandiose, there have been several box office successes.  However, professionals in the industry continually credit Avatar as the reason the industry is or has taken off.

While a bit anecdotal, it would be interesting to see what our members think!  Was Avatar part of your decision process in taking an interest in stereoscopic 3D gaming and entertainment?
Read full article...
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Was Avatar All THAT?

Post by Dom »

Avatar is the main concept that brought 3d to normal theatres, Imax was only before this. 3D at home was limited and hard to get with no LCD 3d displays. Autostereoscopic tv's were only shown off by companies like bang&ofslen or a wealthy comsumer engineers. What this movie does is tell everyone who went to see it, is that they can be apart of the virtual reality crowd even seemlessy in their homes. There were many other movies but James Cameron's movie showed 3d in the whole thing and not just pop out scenes. It was more dramatic.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I've been interested in stereoscopic 3D for many years before Avatar, first by discovering IMAX 3D at the Futuroscope in 1995, then by buying SimulEyes VR glasses around that period for my PC and CRT. But Avatar was the first - and last - 3D movie I did see in a cinema, and it made me reuse my stereoscopic glasses again some months ago.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I don't think Avatar is the sole reason for the recent push for 3D. Much of the technology coming out now must have had R&D long before Avatar hit theaters. But Avatar legitimized what people were already doing in the 3D space. I think for many people Avatar may have been their first experience with 3D movies so that has much to do with it as well. I mean, the 3D in Avatar wasn't even that amazing. Other films, like A Christmas Carol, had far more impressive depth. But those earlier 3D films were not blockbuster critically acclaimed successes. So in that respect I think Avatar was a game-changer, if only in the fact that it woke people up to what was already existing technology.
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

I voted "No! I've been enjoying S-3D for years!" but that should not downplay the role AVATAR has for s3D. I think what AVATAR does/did was to give me confidence that s3D is here to stay.

I was owner of a ELSA Revelator way back but somehow the whole thing didn't stick. Now after the financial success of AVATAR im confident that there will be content and that there will be a massmarket wich means more people working on improving every aspect of s3d from filming equipment over filming process/ storyboards to the consumer electronic in our homes.

I feel AVATAR is a bit like the iphone or the Nintendo Wii. While a lot of rather vocal people dislike Apple and tell me the Wii isnt a "good" console, the success of the product made other developers think more out of the box towards touch-interfaces and motion controlled games. I believe we need such "Icons" in every market to really install change and innovation even if those things (like tablet computers) have been done way bevore and even if it seems unfair to the real pineers of the business.
enrolao84
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by enrolao84 »

I think a few how craylon:

My impression:

For me probably avatar is between the worse films 3d, not the worst but it's not an example.

There are many films better that avatar.

By know avatar is the last film I see at cinema and don't go anymore until don¡t see a 3d trailer before.

Avatar may go many person go to 3d cinema, but the new 3d cinema begin before avatar, and bluray-3d, ... speak also before avatar.
enrolao84
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by enrolao84 »

I think near craylon

I think:

Avatar is for me between the worse 3d films (also in 2d films).
There are many good 3d films and avatar for me is not there: jaws 3d, ...
Maybe that avatar atractc many people to 3d films but I don't believe so, the new 3d films grow before avatar and also notice over bluray-3d.
For me Avatar is bad for 3d and may give bad information to people over what is 3d.
In avatar I get bored and near to take out in middle of film.
By now I don't like return to cinema until give 3d trailers where I can see the 3d quality.
enrolao84
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by enrolao84 »

enrolao84 wrote: Sorry. Duplicated.
Neil

Was Avatar All THAT?

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Stereoscopic 3D gaming has been around for over ten years, and 3D movies much longer than that.  Prior to Avatar, while not as grandiose, there have been several box office successes.  However, professionals in the industry continually credit Avatar as the reason the industry is or has taken off.

James Cameron

While a bit anecdotal, it would be interesting to see what our members think!  Was Avatar part of your decision process in taking an interest in stereoscopic 3D gaming and entertainment?

Return to “MTBS News”