indie binary questions

jackeberg
One Eyed Hopeful

indie binary questions

Post by jackeberg »

I somehow missread royalty-free with free for non commercial use. That would have been to much fun.

Indie binary cost 2500$ + publishing fee, Indie as in <11 employies or <6?

if it fails to obtain funding and is cancelled, no publishing fee. Does that mean that if the game is published by the game studio, the game studio pays the publishing fee.
I would suggest a higher percentage instead of a publishing fee for indie games. Internet based delivery systems would be the choice of many indie game companies.
10 000$ means alot when you publish yourself via steam or other distributions, market penetration is uncertain. I for one have no trust or desire to use a known publisher. But I guess there would be need for quality testing of some sort. Publishers are most often used to filter out and sell the uninteresting games. Something even known studios are plagued by.

With 3d this would probably end up like the wii-controller. It is still not used in but a few games, other then as a gimmick.
binstream
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: indie binary questions

Post by binstream »

jackeberg wrote:Indie as in <11 employies or <6?
It depends. If you are a new studio without major funding, say 1-10 developers, you're definitely an indie. If you are an international corporation with 10+ years history and 500+ employees, you can hardly be treated as small independent developer 8)
jackeberg wrote: if it fails to obtain funding and is cancelled, no publishing fee. Does that mean that if the game is published by the game studio, the game studio pays the publishing fee.
If an indie studio plan to release its Unigine-based project by itself, it has to pay the rest of license fee prior to the release.
jackeberg wrote: I would suggest a higher percentage instead of a publishing fee for indie games. Internet based delivery systems would be the choice of many indie game companies.
10 000$ means alot when you publish yourself via steam or other distributions, market penetration is uncertain. I for one have no trust or desire to use a known publisher. But I guess there would be need for quality testing of some sort. Publishers are most often used to filter out and sell the uninteresting games. Something even known studios are plagued by.
Well, modern technologies mean expensive content. Even with a team of people, who are ready to work for the lowest salary, $10k is almost nothing if you want to create something good-looking, not to mention A-class projects. We would like to give indie developers a chance, but they should think about overall project complexity with current level of technology. If someone plan to create a simple project with low level of graphics and interaction, he/she doesn't need Unigine power for that, there are a lot of less powerfull (and cheaper, even free) solutions.
jackeberg wrote: With 3d this would probably end up like the wii-controller. It is still not used in but a few games, other then as a gimmick.
As far as I know, Wii controller is a real key gameplay feature of a bunch of Nintendo's games.

We are interested in support of capabilities of modern VR hardware, including stereo 3D. Soon there will be more in this direction from our side, so stay tuned.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”