iz3d monitor impressions

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

iz3d monitor impressions

Post by chilledsanity »

I recently had a chance to check out the iz3d 22" monitor at some sort of gaming center where it was on display. I wasn't able to spend a lot of time using it, but here are my impressions of it. I would like to hear from people who own this monitor if my experience was normal or if something was off when I using it. I've done stereoscopic on shutterglasses/CRT for a long time (using Elsa's then later Nvidia's drivers), so that's what I'm comparing it to:

-2D Visual quality looked great on the games, maybe not quite as good on the desktop (image looked a little too bright, like there was too much gamma)

-Stereoscopic caused major slowdown in World in Conflict, didn't work for Crysis (probably will be fixed later in drivers). I did most of my tests in World of Warcraft, wasn't sure of all controls, only played with screen depth and convergence.

-Screen depth was good, though I wasn't able to push it to where things were in my face or look like things were really distant. Could be I needed to tweak things more.

-0% flicker is nice, as are no blue screens

-HUD seemed to be handled pretty well

-Ghosting was different than how I'm used to it on a CRT. On CRT's, it's mainly noticed when there are high contrast areas (spotlights in tunnels, skiiers in the snow, etc.). On the iz3D, it's like it was an exact copy of the images being ghosted. I found with tweaking I could get the image ghost-free (or so small I didn't even notice) only at specific depths. So if I wanted my character ghost-free, then the background would have a lot of ghosting and vice-versa. While I could get a sharper picture on the depth level I was focused at, overall I found the ghosting to be worse on this monitor than compared to a CRT with shutterglasses. Again, all I adjusted was depth/convergence.

Overall I think the monitor has pros and cons compared to a regular CRT, but the pronounced ghosting and especially the price tag are really big cons. Has anyone else had a similar experience to mine, and if so, were you able to fix any of the problems I mentioned?
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

i have one, here are my thoughts regarding your points:

1) the monitor is shipped at 100% brightness. i felt sick without knwoing why, then i noticed that it was the screen brightness, reduced it and now it is like a charm. i have set it at 50% now, simply lower it.

2) depends on a gpu, its known that it needs a powerfull gpu for double rendereing. i have a 8800 gts and except some games with no profile all games run smoothly. crysis is on the works, since it has a completely new shadow system (posted by blackq on iz3d forums)

3) depends on the game. on FPS you wont be able to have the gun at your face without beeing sick, but thats with all xolutions. but on many games you can. i posted some screenshots in the gallery in the "others" section. cant remember the exact name of the application something like "yhdrrtbl"... check the screens with the scull and those with the balls.. definetly a high popout effect. i made those screen with iz3d drivers in windowed mode.

6) ghosting is highly visible in certain situatioons only. like a eagle in the bright sky or similar. very high color differences. else in game you notice it only at the beginning then your brain automatically excludes it. after a week of gaming you dont notice any ghosting anymore. (i was able to teach my grain to eliminate ghosting on the 17" and THAT was ghosting.. :D soshouldnt be aproblem for anybody with this model)

in my opinion the day passed with the idea in mind that tomorrow you can play in 3d is worth all the cons. it took me one year and a half to be able to play a game with other drivers. painfull experience.. now i know that when i wake up there are WORKING, GREAT drivers, and i know that there will be drivers also in a month or a year. and allways up dto dat, plug n play... moreover if you tilt the monitor backwards a LITLTLE bit (5/10°) ghosting is reduced by 40%, and if you reduce brightness like me, ghosting reduces (it does not reduce, its still there, but you dont see it.. :D lol ) by another 10%...

hope this helps you.

bye

igor
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

1. The brightness didn't seem too high in-game, but that could account for the desktop looking off.

2. It's alright, I'm kind of a retro gamer anyway and am more forgiving about drivers not supporting the newest stuff. I just mentioned it becuase it was what I saw at the display.

3. All I was going on was World of Warcraft, so that could be the case.

6. This wasn't my experience. In the game I was in the Undead territory, which was all very grey and bleak. As for my brain automatically excluding it, I've been doing stereoscopic off and on since 1999 (using CRT/shutterglasses) and have never automatically excluded it or stopped noticing ghosting, it's one of the most annoying aspects to stereoscopic vision there is; I just try and deal with it. I find it hard to imagine I would simply exclude it with my brain on the iz3d (when I clearly saw it) and not a CRT.

Nvidia has certainly dropped the ball on their drivers. I've learned how to tweak my setup to avoid blue screening, but for a company its size that doesn't update its drivers in over a year and a half, then says it will be for Vista only is pretty inexcusable. Even if I have some misgivings about the monitor, I hope iz3d does well just to soak up some of the market. Thanks for your feedback.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

If you haven't already, try the latest drivers in the MTBS news section. You will probably find some ghosting improvements.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”