Crystaleyes3 Shutterglasses Trade In Special

pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Crystaleyes3 Shutterglasses Trade In Special

Post by pixel67 »

Hi everyone,
The folks over at RealD have a trade in program going on for the Crystaleyes3 LCD Shutters. For those not familiar with these excellent glasses, head on over to http://www.stereo3d.com for a little history. These glasses are the very best money can buy at this time, however they are still VERY expensive. You can trade in ANY wireless LCD glasses (I traded an old set of E-Dimensional glasses) and purchase a new set of Crystaleyes3 with an emitter for $450.00!! OUCH!!! But, you get what you pay for, and these are simply amazing! The "hot spots" with the E-Dims I mentioned in earlier posts is gone and replaced with a much wider field of view, higher dynamic range, and completely ghost free image. Very much worth every penny expecially at 50% off. The improved image quality and excellent battery life of 250 hours sold it for me, especially when you consider I was going through a set of batteries every week with my E Dims. Thats $500 a year just in stinking batteries! Here is the link if you are interested:
http://www.reald-corporate.com/ce3_upgrade.asp

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

It would be a better upgrade if I could actually get one of those DLP tv's over here to use my shutters with ;)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Wow...that is steep...as close as my eyes are to my Edimensional glasses I really don't notice the hotspots enough to justify that. For $35 for the wired edimensionals I don't worry about batteries. I already use wired headphones and wired track-IR so a third wire running to my head doesn't bother me. :)
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Interesting thing. I think I've just seen some today at a science development center (today was technology day and I got to see some 3D DLP projectors 8) ).
They enable a big field of view, that's true, but the other things don't convince me.
How can you get no (much less) ghosting, if your glasses are better? As far as I know, ghosting depends on the system (on the CRT and/or DLP system).

And I don't see me spending 500? on batteries for ir glasses. If you know how much batteries you need, you can order a big packet at Ebay (e.g. 100? for maybe 50bucks or so). On top of that my IR glasses are all broken, whereas cable versions last much longer (i.e. they work when the come from ebay :wink: )

The glasses might be worth, if you've got a projecting system for xxx.xxx$ or more (if you count several rooms for the projectors and mirrors and one for the servers :!: ). But I doubt they are necessary on a homeprojection system.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Are the glasses brighter than eDims?
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Freke1, yes they are much brighter. A nice boost in contrast and the LCD's shutter quality is consistent from edge to edge (no artifacts). I could back down on the gamma settings a bit after installing these. The larger FOV is very welcome as now i can sit even closer to the set (vertigo time). All good...

LukePC1, of all the crap I have purchased on ebay over the years, i never once searched for them on ebay. (DUH) Some really good deals out there! At least now Iknow where to get the new batteries... We should create a sticky note somewhere on the site so other folks don't throw their money away at Radio Shack!

On the ghosting, let me clarify a bit. I was using the original E-Dim glasses, not the new DLP ones. I emailed E-Dim support when i purchased my sammy and they told me there wasn't much of a difference with the glasses, only with the emitter to enable longer range viewing. The issue I had with the E-Dim's is that ehy would progressively get worse the longer i wore them. After 45-60 minutes the artifacts were bad enough to cause eye strain. These artifacts look like a banding or blotchiness of the LCD panel and started at the outside of the glasses and worked their way in the longer the glasses were on. When looking through the banding the image would ghost slightly. Turning the glasses off for a minute and back on temporarily fixes this but it returns even quicker the next time. PITA! I had a choice where i could spend another $85 on the DLP version of their glasses and see if they really fix the issue, with the realization that they may just be added to my E-Dim graveyard (5 pairs of glasses over the years), or invest in the best out there. Since I look at my Sammy as an investment that will last me many years, it only made sense to view the Crystaleyes the same way. I don't see myself investing in any other 3D display solution over the next 5 - 7 years or more. The sammy is part of my living room and is here to stay. The Crystaleyes come with a 3 year warranty which keeps me from adding them to my graveyard. By no means do I feel this is the path for everyone with E-Dims. $450 can go a long way to upgrade a pc and could potentially get you a lot closer to purchasing, say, IZ3D's uber cool monitor. But for those that want to get the best image quality out of their DLP3D HDTV, this is one way to do it.
Cheers!

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”