Philips 3D WOWvx

sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Philips 3D WOWvx

Post by sharky »

hi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWgSQLnhWMw&NR=1

in this video they say that you don't need to wear any kind of glasses. its autostereoscopic. has somebody seen this tv or tested it? what about the "dont move your head" thing? wich autostereoscopic solution actually exits?

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

tsk tsk..

I even posted a review of this thing a few topics down....

3DTV, Wowvx, same thing..
Apocalyps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Apocalyps »

Hi all,

I've not posted a lot (lol) but on this thread I can answer! :lol:

I've seen these screens (on IBC in holland) and they look pretty good. They are indeed autostereoscopic, no glasses or anything needed. The effect is pretty good when you are in front of it, you can 'move your head' and it doesn't effect the 3D.

The more you go to the side, the less the 3D effect (probably normal) so for max effect you better be right in front of the screen.

They can't match the stereoscopic effect you see with shutter glasses... it seems less 'deep' to me, well that's my feeling, but I cant compare with anything else!

Cheers

Apocalyps
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi! thank you for your answer.. i have a question to you. i have read that there are 9 "positions" on wich oyu get it and between these positions you don't see the 3D effect.. is it true? because what you said seems different than what i have read. do you know also how it works?

thank you

igor

Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Sharky:

Philips has a technique that is totally unlike stereoscopy, it more has something alike holography (I am talking in the way the image is projected, not the way it looks).

So for starters, forget all you know about stereoscopy, it just confuses.

Normally, a screen has pixels, you see all pixels and the total makes up the 2D image. Each pixel shines in all directions, so you see any pixel, everywhere. Now Philips placed cylindrical lenses over the screen, from top to bottom. Each long lense covers 9 pixels wide. These 9 pixels now do not shine in any direction, but to 9 distinct directions.

In this way, you are creating a lightfield, actually not extremely unlike a normal window you look through to outside. Now, 9 pixels shine to 9 directions, that means that at any given position you sit and watch, you see only 1 of the 9 pixels (the other light beams shine in other directions, not to you). So this way, philips has a way of showing you an image.
(it is kind of tricky to understand how they do it, read their tech sheets about it)

So what you actually see, is 3D. You right eye sees another pixel ensemble as your left eye. Now they *do not* use stereoscopy as input files. They use a 2D image and a z-depth image (grayscale) as input and a processor calculates 9 different views onto this scene. If you would start for instance centered in front of the screen, and see nice 3D and move you head to the left then quickly you see double. You enter a region where 1 eye sees a 2 pixels together (each half) instead of just 1. No 3D here. Move further and your eyes will see just 1 pixel again and this time you see a view that looks like you moved around the scene too. Your left eye now sees a even more left view of the scene and your right eye sees what the left one saw before.

Like if you walked around a scene in real life.

The idea is cool, but there are huge drawback to this technique.
-dead spots where you see double
-3D depth is not that hot
-2D info image, so you have serious issues since you have no "behind" info on very near objects (yes they have sort of solution.. sort of)

There is, for the coming years, just 1 single field of interest for this TV, that is malls, fairs and shops. I would never, ever consider it for gaming for instance... it is vastly inferior to full S-3D.
What they do have though, is a very bright, colorfull screen, that has pretty decent 3D feel to it. It is a instant eyecatcher in a shopping window for instance. Everyone like the sudden feel of 3D, from a "standard" TV screen.

edit: let me change my wording a bit, I do not want to sound like the screen is worthless :) Let me rephrase: the screen is a super way to show people 3D when they don't expect it (no one told them to put on glasses etc) and the 3D is definately very functional. You can make pretty cool stuff with it, things a normal 2D screen can never touch. However, for gaming, film watching etc it has inherent strong drawbacks. I'd say that everyone would prefer to wear glasses, but at least get great S-3D.

It is being pushed as a 3D TV, so for sports and normal viewing.. I am a bit uncertain whether it will get that far though..

Ow and the screen is 10k euro too :P
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi jahun! many thanks for your explanation! that was more than clear.. :)

bye

sharky

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”