So how big are your screens? How far away do you sit?

Lucky
Two Eyed Hopeful

So how big are your screens? How far away do you sit?

Post by Lucky »

Hey all,

I'm just trying to figure out which way to set up my projector. How big are your screens and how far away do you sit from them? I can't decide, but if I am going to keep these I have to. I have to know how big of a screen I need , where to put it and whether or not I need a mirror to give me a little more throw.

~Lucky
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, Core2Dou E8400, 4GB PC-4200 Kingston Ram, ATI Radeon HD 3870 x2
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Hi Lucky,
I went through the same process when I was using my infocus projector, however since I believe you are using a polarized rig it may be a little more complicated but not much. I believe the objective should be to fill the FOV within the glasses that you are wearing. With the E-D glasses this was easy to test but will be different on a polarized setup. I initially had my projector sitting on a table making it nearly impossible to get a good FOV without blocking some of the beam (always had to sit on one side of the projection path or the other). After much trial and error I decided to ceiling mount it. This ended up being the best decision I made with this setup as I could get very close to the screen, fill the entire FOV within the glasses, without obstructing the projection path. I also wasn't able to get a large throw distance to get a huge screen but made up for this by sitting closer to the screen. Since the beam is projected over your head, and most projector are designed to do this and have an inherent keystone effect that helps keep the projection path very high, I could make the FOV as large as I wanted just by adjusting my seating position. Sitting that close to the screen wasn't good for watching movies but was great for gaming! While I could see the pixel pitch in 2D, in 3D it was not visible and very immersive. With my current rig I get the same FOV but with much higher resolution, at the cost of game selection (the only drivers out there that support my setup are the DDD drivers that don't support a lot of games yet). In my opinion, anything larger than the FOV within the glasses is a waste as you end up sacrificing perceived spatial resolution. Is your rig ceiling mounted? If not, you may want to give it a shot.
Good Luck,
Pixel
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Hmmm

My screen is 2.1 meters wide, and 1.225 meter high.. or so.
I sit probably... 2-3 meters away from it.. not sure.

I just tested the projector on the wall, to see what size I liked from what distance, and then went for that size silverscreen. My themepark style glasses are huge in FOV sense.. so I don't want to fill those..
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

2000x1500. Sitting about 4 meters from it. In my case the beamers decides the size of the image. It can be adjusted to be a little bigger than the screen i have now. Unfortunately not as much to the next standard screen. Really like to have one size bigger though. (maybe knocking down a wall or two... haha)

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Nice advantage of a polarized rig vs active since my E-Dims limit my FOV. Still large enough to cause vertigo.

:mrgreen:
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
falcon96
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by falcon96 »

I?ve got a screen of 1500X1250, sitting about 2.3 meters from it
A STAR silverscreen mounted on the wall, projector ceiling mounted aprox
1 meter behind me and 1 meter above me.
My setup: