Just a note...

Elukka
One Eyed Hopeful

Just a note...

Post by Elukka »

This is not meant as an attack, so try not to take it as one.

As you might have noticed, you guys been banned on some forums, threads have been locked, etc. This is not people being unfriendly. This is not moderators abusing their powers.
This happens because your "advocacy" is rather clearly advertising. People tend not to like that on their forums.

I think this is definitely not the best course of action. This is what spambots do, join forums to advertise something.

Many people (including me) are already biased against you because of this spamming.

All publicity is not good publicity. So, if you want to get this thing forward, i'd suggest finding other means to get publicity.

True 3D may have potential, but the picture i (and undoubtedly many more) have gotten from this thing is a company that wants free advertisement, because that is what it looks like.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

*Just note, I am just a user of these forums, and hopefully a soon to be user of a 3D device, not a representative of the company**

From what I have seen, this is not "Advertising"

Members who post, are posting on game sites that they really think SHOULD be 3D.

For instance, I just posted On the StrikeRacer forums,
http://strikeracer-forum.gpotato.com/vi ... f=25&t=916

As you can see, I actually DO play that game (In fact, I play it far more than I should)

I do not work for MTBS3D, this group is all about Stereoscopic 3D, and getting more companies to code in the functionality of 3D... Not for a company, or for a certain video card, but for all 3D in a whole..

It's too bad that some people take it as spam, but it is simply not. I'm sure if the posters had 2,000 posts, you would probably say, Oh that's a great idea! Instead of just banning them.

Many of the forum posts have had a good outcome, and some threads go on for 10 pages, because it is seriously a cool thing for a game to have...

Games have support for joysticks, and controllers, so why not Stereoscopic 3D devices?

-Welder
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hello Elukka,

Thanks for joining!

I'm unaware of anyone spamming forums. Where did you hear this?

I'm aware of a lot of gamers that want to see video game compatibility with stereoscopic 3D technologies. I'm aware of gamers who have been waiting ten years for compatibility that didn't come because they didn't ask for it.

They learned their lesson, and now they are asking for it. Ask our members if they think discussing S-3D compatibility with their favorite games in game developer forums constitutes advertising, and I think you will have your answer.

It's like shunning patients for seeking an FDA stamp of approval for drug safety. If you spent a few thousand dollars on a computer that didn't work, you'd start asking questions too. Especially for something as exciting as S-3D gaming.

You don't ask, you don't get - that's life.

Now, some good news. We ran the incentive programs to add a sense of fun to the program, and I think that gave things a needlessly false impression to outsiders. So, after the FG contest, we are most likely going to stop the incentive programs, and let the advocacy stand on its own.

This initiative is new, and we are always open to new ideas. Maybe you have some?

EDIT: I would add though that it is better for our members to post on official game developer forums rather than independently run forums. Game developer forums are there for actual video game customers, not members interested in video games. There is a very important difference.

Regards,
Neil
Denaris
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denaris »

Elukka,

Thanks for offering up what appears to be fair advice. I must admit I am continually amused by the double standard most people use, probably without any knowledge they are doing it.

If the same standards used so harshly against me by some forums was used with you, it could be fairly assumed by your post count that you joined not due to interest in either 3D or MTBS, but rather to offer your negative opinion about the site.

Free advertisement? It's much more convenient for people to think what they wish without verifying with facts. First, from what I can tell (I've only been a member here for a few days), this site is not selling anything. S-3D certification is completely, 100% free to game developers. Also, the advocacy is not "free". I had to type up the posts I made in other forums--it took quite a bit of time. I went only to sites that related to games I own, love, and played quite a bit. I went there with a legitimate interest in the game, as well as a desire to spread the word about a certifying games for 3D, mainly because I want to see 3D hardware and games become more prolific, and yes, because this site was offering incentives as well.

I have to say, the willful intention by certain forum mods to interpret my posts as spam confuses me. Several posts got a fair amount of interest from forum members before they were shut down. That's probably because other forum members there were interested in the prospect of playing that game in 3D. I know the mods were only doing their jobs, and after I was given a harsh welcome I attempted to offer a sincere apology. Boy was that ever a mistake. It just goes to show how people are much more inclined to believe what they are predisposed to believe, as opposed to looking at a new situation objectively.

But this (mtbs) seems to be a different kind of forum, and I don't think anyone here is going to shout at you or treat you rudely. For my part, I would like to thank you for the opportunity to express my own feelings on the subject, and maybe offer up a little clarity on what MTBS is really about.

Respectfully,
Denaris

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”