can i play games in 3d with a regular CRT monitor?

goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

can i play games in 3d with a regular CRT monitor?

Post by goemon »

if i just buy some 10 dollar polarized glasses can a regular CRT monitor do 3d if i just get certain drivers or game modifications?
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

some games i have in mind to try out are ut2004, f.e.a.r., and maybe prey, half life 2.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

Hi!

nope, polarized glasses don't work with crt monitors. if you have a nvidia card then you could buy shutterglasses.. they are very cheap too (from 20 $ upward on ebay) and those can be combined perfectly with crt monitors. and the games work all with shuttrglasses. some better, some worst but it SHURELY is worth the 20-60 $ you spend. there are people here spending more than 2000$ for 3D so i don't think that they would do it if it wouldn't be cool.. :D

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Little checklist for you: If you have an Nvidia card in your comp you're on the go.
If you happen to already have one of those pair of funny looking red/green glasses you can play stereo now already. (just to get the feeling of it but the result is of course no real color reproducion).
The other way is to get a couple of shutterglasses (You get full color reproducion also)

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

ok now i understand why they're actually making a 1000 dollar 3d LCD monitor. ill have to find some info on shuttgerglasses vs. iz3d 22" monitor.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

ok here is the answer:

iz3d:

PROS: no flickering, full resolution, full color, full frequency for both eyes, no eyestrain, driver support postprocessing, driver support vista, driver support nvidia 8 series, driver support dual core.

CONS: expensive. uses both vga/dvi ports of the GPU (is a problem if you use dualscreen), you need more gpu power because the image is rendered 2 times, ghosting

shutterglasses:

PROS: its the perfect beginner solution to see if the 3D world is something for you without spending a lot, cheap, drivers work with most nvidia cards, drivers are free, compatible with nearly everything involved in stereoscopy (like player or imageviewer), no gosting

CONS: work only with nvidia cards (ati give serious problems), work only on crt monitors (lcd work only with special drivers wich work not that good), flicker at under 100 HZ frequencies, you need a 20-30% higher gpu power, its hard to play long because of eyestrain flicker and so on,

i don't find other pros/cons at th emoment... what i would do in your case is buy some cheap shutterglasses just to see if itis a tecnology you like, and if you really like 3D (wich is VEEEEEEEEEEEERY likely what will happen) then you can go for another solution like iz3d or passive projection or whatever you want.. ;)

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

after seeing a 3d imax movie of course i love 3d technology! it could probably enhance my gameplay skills too if i learn to use it well. if i use shutterglasses i might want to get a good crt that can do 120hz at a resolution like 1280x900 or higher because i love v-sync and i understand the shutterglasses make you see half the refresh in each eye of what your monitor really is refreshing at. though i dont know if v-sync relates to the effectiveness of shutterglasses. i dont expect eyestrain to be a problem since virtual boy game system never gave me a headache after hours of playing.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”