Mageknight Apocalypse

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Mageknight Apocalypse

Post by iondrive »

HEY!!!

After years, I've tried this game again recently and I got it thanks to some things I've picked up along the way. It's DirectX 8 and seemed like it should work but never did until now. It's partly because there were two problems:

1) dual core CPU mode caused freeze on 3d toggle so use single core mode. see:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) had to edit the 3d registry entry for the game and set StereoTextureEnable to 1.

Here's my .reg exported file. You can just save it as a text file, rename the extension .reg and double-click it, or just add the StereoTextureEnable D_WORD manually:

-----
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D\GameConfigs\MageKnight]
"StereoConvergence"=dword:4345d487
"AutoConvergence"=dword:00000000
"FrustumAdjustMode"=dword:00000000
"Time"=dword:00000000
"StereoTextureEnable"=dword:00000001
-----

I used my 7800GTX card with drivers 162.50/162.50 with my CPU in single core mode on 32-bit winXP.

Everything looks fine (good 2d HUD) except for 2d monster hit-points above their heads which is usually OK unless you're attacking from a distance and convergence is wrong, and also that this game uses alot of zooming so you really need more presets like iZ3D or a good autofocus function. Just try to stay in medium zoom and you might be happy with it. Else you could try using hotkeys to zoom in and out and simultaneously tie the same hotkeys to converge (or change Separation) in and out so that you zoom and change convergence at the same time with the same hotkeys. More game notes here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=5911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have fun,
this was a tough one, I already had decided to label it as a hopeless case, then thought of something else to try and BINGO!!!

--- iondrive ---

PS: Graphics settings on minimal but you can try bumping it up. I expect some things to work before you hit a wall of post-processing. It looks good to me the way it is though.

Tested: you can have all settings on highest but shut off "volumetric lighting" and "fullscreen glow" to get rid of odd lighting. Unfortunately water texture flashes on/off as you run through it. I don't know how to fix that. The sky also flashes but less often. The other problem with game interface mechanics is that you can't really look up but that's typical of these kinds of games. Still, "low-angle distance view" is pretty good. "Distance Haze" also doesn't look good (slightly wrong depth). Shut that off too.

Also note that this game takes a long time to load so don't think it crashed unless you don't see it in Taskman anymore.

This game can do multiplayer co-op via LAN or internet. It's a nice and complicated game if that's what you enjoy. The box says you can have a party of five.

PS: I figured out how to get this game working with iZ3D's 1.10b3 driver so you may prefer that as it seems to work better with that driver. More info here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=5911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically, if you use anaglyph or iZ3D's monitor, you're fine, but if you use something else, you may need a no-CD crack in order to get it to work for you.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”