internet explorer 8 posting bug

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

internet explorer 8 posting bug

Post by iondrive »

There seems to be a bug in my IE-8 browser that makes it hard to post posts that are longer than a certain length. After about a page and a half, there's a reverse scrolling problem that keeps pulling my view up so I can't see what I just typed. I can type text with another program and then paste it into the window and that works, but it's pretty bad to use it as it is. So I installed Firefox and I'm not surprised that it works fine so that's what I'll use. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this too or is it just me and my system.

On an unrelated note, where are some of MTBS's official game reviews. For example, I see the Star Trek Legacy entry in the "Game Review User Remarks" forum but there's not really a review there. Maybe there's a missing link?

Oh yeah, another IE-8 bug I just remembered occurs when I open multiple tabs of MTBS3D, then IE-8 freezes and I have to kill it and restart. It works fine if I just have one or two MTBS3D tabs open, but if I try more, then when I close one of them, that's when it freezes. I blame MS not you, but I just thought you should know about these things if you didn't already.

bye.
System specs:
CPU: 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400
RAM: 800MHz 4GB dual channel mode
Video: geForce 8800GTS PCI-e, 640MB ram, driver 196.21
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: internet explorer 8 posting bug

Post by cybereality »

IE sucks, use Firefox.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

IE sux?

That's the idea I'm getting. Normally I use Mozilla on Linux, but I just did a fresh install of win-XP and upgraded to IE-8 and within minutes it froze while trying to install Flash or Shockwave. I downgraded to IE-6 and then it worked. Anyway...

I found where the game reviews are:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/game_reviews.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe there should be an obvious link there in the "MTBS Game Review User Remarks" forum.
System specs:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

IE6?!?! Thats like walking through a war-zone with a mesh tank-top as a shield. So many security holes its not even funny. Please, just don't use it.
Neil

Post by Neil »

We are going to be doing some updates soon. Yes, modernize your browser! :D

Regards,
Neil
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

"a mesh tank-top as a shield"

yes, tanks for the warning. :roll: I reupgraded to 8 soon after, and now I'm following your advice to not use it. No problems with firefox yet. Smooth as butter. I'm very happy with it so far. Glad I installed it, etc...
System specs:
Neil

Post by Neil »

We upgraded phpbb to the latest version. Does this bug still exist?

Regards,
Neil
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

yes, bug still exists on IE8 but I normally use Firefox now and am very happy with it.
Neil

Post by Neil »

We are going to be re-installing the forum to fix some other bugs. I don't think it's connected, but we shall see. Bizarre.

Regards,
Neil
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

I used to have this issue in IE8 and I tried to turn the Compatibility mode on and it didn't fix that particular bug for me. However right now this bug is gone and don't even see the Compatibility View button in IE8. Looks like re-installing the forum software helped it.

I'd imagine since they updated PHPBB to directry opt-in for IE7 "Compatibility Mode" instead of the default IE8 "Standards Mode", they probably worked around the edit form bug as well.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I hope so. We upgraded everything here - even PHP itself.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”