Questions about Shutter Glasses (Esp. NVidia 3D Vision)

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
adf2006
One Eyed Hopeful

Questions about Shutter Glasses (Esp. NVidia 3D Vision)

Post by adf2006 »

Hey, I'm new to 3D, and I'm hoping to run it on my 85hz Optoma DX617 projector. I've covered most of my bases (I think) in my research. I have a couple questions regarding the solutions:

1) I am looking at buying the Nvidia 3D vision kit. The problem is I don't have an NVidia GPU. Is it possible to use these glasses with the iz3d or other drivers? I can't upgrade my gpu because I'm working on a laptop with no expansion slots.

2) I'm mostly going to be watching films in 3D since I'm not an avid gamer. Is there a better pair of glasses around?

3) Shipping to my location can be a problem, so I usually prefer to buy in store. Do you know any physical stores that sell shutter glasses? This is one of the main reasons I was going to go with the NVidia kit, but obviously if it isn't compatible I'd have to look somewhere else. I do live near a major city so any chain store should be fine... I think I'm going to be stuck shipping online though if the NVidia isn't compatible.

Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Questions about Shutter Glasses (Esp. NVidia 3D Vision)

Post by cybereality »

The Nvidia 3D Vision glasses only work with Nvidia GeForce cards. And you will probably not have much luck finding any shutter glasses in stores (aside from the 3D Vision). I doubt most B & M stores have even heard of 3D glasses, let alone carry them. Beyond that, I have not heard that the Optoma DX617 supports 3D. So with your current hardware you may be limited to anaglyph as a 3D option. If you do want to try anaglyph I recommend the Pro-Ana anaglyph glasses, which sell for under $10. Sorry I can't be of more help.
adf2006
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by adf2006 »

Thanks for the help, cyber. Do you know if there is any way to test the compatability of the projector? I know it runs at 85hz but I guess what it also needs is the pageflipping? Is there a test I can run to see this in action short of wearing the glasses? Thanks again!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well it is a DLP projector, so its possible it works. There are a number of 85Hz DLP projectors that people have used for 3D. Personally, I don't have much experience with projectors so I wouldn't know how to test them. But you will likely need all the hardware (glasses, etc.) in order to test. There are some people here using projectors so maybe one of them can chime in with an answer. Its not exactly my forte.
adf2006
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by adf2006 »

Thanks again, For a preliminary test, I decided to download the Stereoscopic Player trial version, along with some 3D trial videos. I turned it to software pageflipping output mode and ran it. The effect matched my positive hypothesis result: the image alternated between the sides with blurry, superimposed edges. This being at least a slightly positive result, I decided to order the cheap wired eDim shutter glasses to test it out. If it doesn't work I'll save the glasses and upgrade in the future, no loss. I'll let you know if it's a success and submit a report to update the online list of 3D-capable projectors whether it is or isn't. Thanks for being helpful and taking the time to respond! Very friendly boards.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well if any glasses are going to work then its going to be the eDims. Good luck.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”