Starwars Republic Commando

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Starwars Republic Commando

Post by iondrive »

Hi all,

This looks like a pretty good game so far and I've tried to get it working good in 3d for a long time without success but now I've got it as good as it can be gotten. One problem was a frozen display on 3d toggle on which would resume good after toggle off. That got fixed with v-sync on and FSAA x2 but I recommend a different solution. You get better performance if you leave FSAA and v-sync off and make this edit. Go to the game directory and edit the System.ini file in the GameData\Save subfolder. Find the section labelled [WinDrv.WindowsClient] and set FrameFXDisabled=True and that should help alot although it does make the night-vision function look different... more like a flashlight than night-vision. So anyway, that should disable the post-processing that screws up your s3d view. After that, you can enable bloom and blur and shadows but I prefer them off to speed up gameplay since I'm using win98se with a geforce FX5200 for this but it should work on XP too once you've got the game working.

Summarizing, set FrameFXDisabled=True in System.ini in the GameDir\GameData\Save subfolder.

After that I still think you should make these adjustments in the registry for your 3d settings so that you can use the HUD and game targetting reticle. Most games have some leeway in the 3d settings that you can use but this one is fairly restrictive because you want to use the HUD so much in this game. I also use a little trick with the lasersight and the frontplane to make the lasersight mostly 2d since it doesn't do proper auto-ranging like it should. I find it helpful especially when zooming in. I would like to shut off the drawing of the gun too but I haven't figured that out yet. It's an Unreal game engine and you can open the console so maybe someone else knows how to do that offhand. Also you should keep your helmet off. Anyway, here's what you do:

Use regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D\GameConfigs\SWRepublicCommando
and set these dwords:
LaserSight to 1
StereoConvergence to 440a7e8a
RHWGreaterAtScreen to 3b30bc38

That should do it. I hope you enjoy it, I will. Use a projector if you can since this is one of those games that suffers from "big gun syndrome".

chow.

PS: you can probably use this fix for other Unreal 2 engined games that are giving you problems. It's worth a shot anyway.

Here's an interesting and handy list of unreal engined games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... gine_games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Update:
Works fine with winXP.
You can use higher graphics settings but shut off squad shadows because it screws up the 3d in some scenes. Try it before you break the glass in the first level to see what I mean. It makes it go 2d when looking at some things.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”