Trying to Understand the Technology

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Shadow98
One Eyed Hopeful

Trying to Understand the Technology

Post by Shadow98 »

First, this is an awesome site and resource for all things 3D, so thanks for all the help.

I have been doing some research about the different methods of displaying 3D content, and need a little clarification. The way I understand it is that screens that require shutter glasses use a page-flipping method at a high framerate. So, if the screen was paused at any frame, it would be a full 2D image (either left or right eye). I also assume this is how DLP HDTV's work as they use shutter glasses, but am unsure. So, how do displays such as these show 3D still images like a picture?

I was also confused about row-interleaving. I understood that these displays (passive) only require polarized glasses because they display both images at once, but with different polarization. Is this what row-interleaving is? If so, does this cut the horizontal resolution in half?

Thanks for the help :D
rajkosto
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Trying to Understand the Technology

Post by rajkosto »

row interleaving does cut the vertical resolution in half, but since youre seeing 2 images your brain can interpolate almost as much visual information as a single full resolution 2d frame.
DLPs "wobulate" anyway, so 3D is a very natural thing for them to do.
Page flipping must be supported by the driver itself and yes, the displays do show 120 full 2d frames, 60 for each eye, one after the another, the lcd glasses block the ones not meant for the current eye.

about ghosting, no ghosting award goes to dual projector setups, then the horisontal interlaced displays (which have some ghosting when the intensity difference is big), then the DLPs (which have some color distortion), then the LCD page flipping setups (although ghosting in these will decrease as panel response times get lower and lower)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Trying to Understand the Technology

Post by cybereality »

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Shutter glasses work via page-flipping, also known as frame sequential. This is when each eyes view is shown back to back flipping between left and right. Images are shown the same way, it just flips between the left and right view. Row-interleaving, also known as field sequential, is when both eyes are shown on one image but dispersed between alternating fields (horizontal scanlines). Using a polarized monitor, like the Zalman Trimon, you can then see both views using polarized glasses. It does cut the vertical resolution in half but it looks alright. The mind is easy to trick.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”