New ps3 3d standard and what it means for projectors?

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
Pianotips
One Eyed Hopeful

New ps3 3d standard and what it means for projectors?

Post by Pianotips »

All right.. So Getting on this Forum and being inspired by the dual projector stereo 3d method, I sold my 1080 projector.... After reading all this news about hdmi 1.4 and ps3 going to shutter technology.. My question is this.. I was planning on buying 2 tx1080 1080 @3600 lumens. But now. I am worried. Wait for 1.4? I hate shutter technology.. hurts my eyes.. If sony releases all these movies and games using shutter glasses... will it still work on a dual projector system? So its 3d on the ps3 .. and i will the signal split to both the projectors which are polarized.. Can I use regular polarized 3d glasses? Should it still work ?
thanks a lot for your help guys
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: New ps3 3d standard and what it means for projectors?

Post by Likay »

Yeah. I guess nobody really knows what happens with future compability for anything. For example if 3d-bluray will be playable in stereoscopic player or if only specific hardware is supported. First time i'm really worried about future support for dual vga rigs... :shock:
If broadcasts, consolegaming and hd-movies in 3d are important, i'd suggest you wait some time until the "smoke scatters" and more info is revealed.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Pianotips
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pianotips »

Ugh i want to buy a projector... but i donut want to be lamed out with something that wont work in a year or two .. or be come obsolete.. or even worse.. you buy and then all of a sudden the price drops cause they roll out the standard version..><

I don't quite understand though.. if I take a 3d signal and spit it.. with a hdmi signal splitter.. theoretically it should work right? That being said any signal split to the polarized projectors should be 3d with the glasses? Or am I missing something!

Thanks Likay ...your very patient and quite personable its great! :)
Pianotips
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pianotips »

ok that new lg projector looks cool. http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/01/lg ... projector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but ultimately i would like to avoid shuttle tech and use polarized glasses.. http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/01/lg ... projector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <---- this would split hdmi to multiple displays right?if the source is stero 3d .. would the dual rig still work? ugh .. i hate being "in between" tech time.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Don't buy anything yet. Now is the worst time to buy. Wait until the 3rd quarter to purchase once the standards are in place.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Pianotips wrote:Ugh i want to buy a projector... but i donut want to be lamed out with something that wont work in a year or two .. or be come obsolete.. or even worse.. you buy and then all of a sudden the price drops cause they roll out the standard version..><

I don't quite understand though.. if I take a 3d signal and spit it.. with a hdmi signal splitter.. theoretically it should work right? That being said any signal split to the polarized projectors should be 3d with the glasses? Or am I missing something!

Thanks Likay ...your very patient and quite personable its great! :)
The problem is this: A dual projector rig have until now been one of the most compatible rigs there is for 3d. But since consoles are getting into the s-3d and they're using only hdmi you need to separate the left and right eye views from it to be able to run the projectors. The problem is: This can only be done via hardware and future bluraystandards (with hdcp) can only be splitted hardwarewise (no software is "allowed" in the signalchain if i've understood correctly...)

So yes: Wait until all the bricks falled into place before deciding. Now is indeed the worst time to decide.
rajkosto
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajkosto »

build FPGA based signal processors :D would cost you only about 500$ and a lot of time
with a separate DVI receiver of course, so you could decrypt HDCP
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

rajkosto wrote:build FPGA based signal processors :D would cost you only about 500$ and a lot of time
with a separate DVI receiver of course, so you could decrypt HDCP
Besides some knowledge and most of all skills to practically build the circuit (fpga's with enough capacity...would really 500$ be enough if stereo-hd is desired?) :shock:. It is of course possible though. :P
Anyway when things are settled and standards are set then maybe conversionboxes would be commercially available for outputting different stereoformats out of the standards. At the same time i wonder if someone actually would find this worth the effort...
rajkosto
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajkosto »

high quality pcb setup costs about 150$ one time fee, and then additional cost per pcb
FPGAs required for dual HD signal processing cost like 40$ (cyclone 3 series from altera for example), + you would need fast DDR2 ram + flash + other things required for a FPGA
then you would need a hdmi compatible reciever that would decode hdmi and give you 24bit parallel input to fpga, and then VGA/DVI transmitters...

so yeah 500$ is about right, not including cost of software, ive contemplated making one for the iz3d, but the high cost put me off.
Pianotips
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pianotips »

rajkosto wrote:high quality pcb setup costs about 150$ one time fee, and then additional cost per pcb
FPGAs required for dual HD signal processing cost like 40$ (cyclone 3 series from altera for example), + you would need fast DDR2 ram + flash + other things required for a FPGA
then you would need a hdmi compatible reciever that would decode hdmi and give you 24bit parallel input to fpga, and then VGA/DVI transmitters...

so yeah 500$ is about right, not including cost of software, ive contemplated making one for the iz3d, but the high cost put me off.

Is it really so easy? would a box top like that spit the incoming signal from the source ie..ps3 into two projectors? I. I think they are all heading to active shutters...I think the dual projector rigs will be cut out of the picture. they can make lot of money charing you another 200-400+ using proprietary glasses.....shivers. Sounds like almost everything Sony introduces doesn't it? This is terrible, I love 3d, but active shutters hurt my eyes. I get eye fatigue easily and the work my eyes over in about 30 mins. While wearing polarized glasses work great for me. I just wonder will they really want to cut off all the more expensive lines of projectors and solutions made before this point.. will the give other options and solutions that will fit the dual projector groups? Is there a market for such? if not then rajkosto is right maybe some brains can fix that lol. I think that if there is a separate solution .. it would be cost effective.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Yeah. It is really "so easy". I'm not capable of doing it myself though. At the same time you should be able to make it compatible with most other input formats and actually add shutter support for older glasses as well as for other format in the same blow. However i don't think i'm capable of doing it myself and rather wait for some other to it in change of some payment. :lol:
rajkosto
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajkosto »

the big shots would never make anything like it, since it would mean you wouldnt buy their new shiny hdmi 1.4 compatible tv sets for lots of money.
and even in mass production this would cost a LOT, the matrox triple head 2 go uses a much more cheaper fpga i think and it still costs like 200$

Return to “3D Console Gaming”