Some questions from those who have traveled first! Thanks!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Pianotips
One Eyed Hopeful

Some questions from those who have traveled first! Thanks!

Post by Pianotips »

OK... after Sony's 3d announcement I realized I had jump the gun on my projector purchase....even more so when we tried to watch Coraline in 3d... what a flop.
I currently have a Sanyo PLV 1080hd. Its around 1200 lumens give or take..

Heres what I am wondering.
1.)Is there a way to test if the 2 projector setup will work. IS there a link to a method of testing polarization for lcd. I saw the polarizationtest_on_lcd avi.. but is there a set explanation on how to do? What do I use.. what am I looking for?
2.) For movies already filmed in 3d using the 2 projector method will it enhance the viewing of the 3d ?
3.) I see I will need the polarization lens, silver screen, a stacking method, a second projector, and a pc with a dual head card for pushing the media. This is real general but did I miss anything?
4.) If All of the above works for me.. Can I get a hdmi splitter to use the setup with my consoles as well? Or is it driven from the computer graphics driver. For example I have a 3d ps3 game.. Can I use the above method with 2 projectors to view it in 3d?
5.) Is there a conversion box that is relatively economical .. so i can use any incoming signal and output it 2 projectors on a silver screen to achieve 3d?

LOL sorry for the very basic questions.. but tis my first step .. and after i was reading this site.. I got quite excited!

Thanks a bunch for any help, pointers, advise, links you can share.

Ray
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Some questions from those who have traveled first! Thanks!

Post by yuriythebest »

I'll try to answer what I know
1.)Is there a way to test if the 2 projector setup will work. IS there a link to a method of testing polarization for lcd. I saw the polarizationtest_on_lcd avi.. but is there a set explanation on how to
do? What do I use.. what am I looking for?
any projectors will do but it's best if they are the same model because of the lense/optics differences
2.) For movies already filmed in 3d using the 2 projector method will it enhance the viewing of the 3d ?
when compared to 2d? yeah

4.) If All of the above works for me.. Can I get a hdmi splitter to use the setup with my consoles as well? Or is it driven from the computer graphics driver. For example I have a 3d ps3 game.. Can I use the above method with 2 projectors to view it in 3d?
very few console games currently support any time of 3d but you could try with avatar the game

5.) Is there a conversion box that is relatively economical .. so i can use any incoming signal and output it 2 projectors on a silver screen to achieve 3d?
2d->3d conversions just don't work and cause dizziness. it's like converting black and white to color- the information just isn't there and your best result will be headaches and disappointment.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I use lcd-projectors myself and they work splendid just using standard polarizers even though i'm using sparfilters right now. There's one hook with lcd-projectors though: You need to align the polarizationangle of the film at 45° or 135° for a proper colorexperience. The "polarizationtest_on_lcd avi" shows the phenomena you get if you align the polarizers right versus wrong. If you have a sheet of linear polarizer (circular works as well, be sure to have the polarizerlayer closets to the beamerlense) you can test behaviour of your own projector.
I have to add: There's a new generation of lcd-projectors (LCoS) which might not be compatible with polarization:!: It is possible they might work fine, i just don't have any experience or heard anything with these and compability with polarized passive projection yet.
As Yuriy says and i agree you should use identical projectors. If you have to use different ones, makes sure that aspect ratio is correct. If you have misalignment of the picture when setting the projectors up: It's more important keeping the horisontal alignment correct.

What you need for your setup is two projectors. One necessary thing needed on the projectors are some kind of keystone correction. Lenseshift is definitely the best but digital keystone correction also works if you can stand loosing some pixels and performance because it looks better playing in a higher resolution than the projectors native one.
You need polarizers for your projectors and glasses: Check polarization.com for cheap filters and i advice you to try both circular and linear filters. In my opinion linear is pretty much to prefer because of the less ghosting. Mounting them at some distance from the beamerlenses drastically increases the lifetime of the filters.
Computer with two outputs and a stereodriver for games and/or a stereoscopic player is required. I don't think future 3d-compability with eventual xbox250 or ps3 is going to be good. In best case you'll probably need to use some kind of black box which splits up the two images between the projectors.
Last thing and probably the most crucial: The silverscreen. As it seems nowadays more or less all screens sold seems to be of good quality. Check this thread for info: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Extra note about lcd-projectors and sterepol filters with ar-coating (SPAR): I always pushed for using lcd-projectors for passive rigs because it's easy (but expensive) to upgrade the projectorfilters. Nowadays there seems to quite bad spar-filters circling around so be watchful: A good sparfilter should have a throughput of close to and over 75%. 65% and below is simply and definitely not worth the money (standard polarizers have a theorethical maximum of 45%).
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Pianotips
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pianotips »

Ok so after much research...

Spar is a killer on costs lol. is the lower quality filters ok?

Silver screens are not cheap.. even diy. Is the paint cheaper to work with?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The lcd-quality linear polarized film from polarization.com (and yes, they're quite cheap) has just as the spars no visible ghosting but the light throughput is of course maximum 45% for polarized filters compared to 75-85% for spars. (again: spars only works for lcd's!)
In my opinion the silverscreen is the most crucial part of a dual projector polarized rig. I have only experience with silverfabrics silverscreens and i'm fully satisfied. There's a tiny visible structure but it's nothing that annoys me in any way. I know too little about other silverscreens to give straight advices though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”