Minoru3d: getting the 30fps - AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Minoru3d: getting the 30fps - AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE

Post by yuriythebest »

note: this guide was made for Windows XP but hopefully will also work for Vista/Win7

right, many people on youtube seem to have trouble getting the full 30fps out of the minoru3d, here is a mini-guide that might aid you through this quest. Hopefully it will help you achieve 30 frames per second even in side by side 1280*480
Towards the end if all goes well you should be able to make nice smooth videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXbQ6J64Dtc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also according to minoru3d this might not work for everybody
a small number of PC's the 30 fps mode cannot work due to the specific PC hardware and a blank screen will result. In that case then please select the 15 fps mode. Also note that in order to achieve 30 fps then the scene should be well lit or the exposure should be adjusted manually.
All I can say is your pc better be "modern". I haven't even been able to get any laptop to record in 1280*480 even at 15fps

A room with good lighting is imperative!

1. install the latest minoru3d drivers, run the setup wizard, etc- make sure it's working correctly and that youa re able to record at least a low-fps video

http://minoru3d.com/download-a-support.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2.make sure your camera uses the vimicro drivers and not the microsoft drivers.

For this, go to the device manager (right click on the "my computer" icon,go to the hardware tab, and click the device manager button)
"Under the imaging devices" category you should see something similar

if you see "usb webcam" this means it's the microsoft driver! to make sure, even if it's as above, right click either one of them and go to properties- make sure the manufacturer is "Vimicro" and the driver version ends with .31 (and not .29)

if the manufacturer is listed as microsoft this means the default windows drivers kicked in which is not what we want- right click each webcam in the device manager, go to "update driver", follow these steps:

if the driver is by Vimicro but the version number ends with .29 then download this:
http://www.voipvoice.com/downloads/Mino ... _0_0_3.exe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and install- it will update the previous driver automatically

3.Adjusting the exposure

Go to the Minoru3d video capture utility.
first select 1280*480 and 30fps, then go to video propeties

adjust the exposure- in a regularly-lit room a setting of -3 or -4 should do. This will make the image somewhat darker- to compensate I always set the the brightness to full and gamma to very high. Also if your room is dark turning off "white balance" will make the image much nicer and also yellower :) However be careful with "white balance" - you have to turn it off/on every time you start the webcam or start recording since other wise you will get a green-colored video

Remember- exposure is the only true setting that affects hardware/frame rate- all the others like brightness/gamma/contrast/etc are filters/effects and are no different if you were to add them later in a video editing suite like Sony Vegas/Adobe Premiere/Final Cut/movie maker/etc

Ahh help!! when I select 30fps my camera goes black or 1 eye freezes!

answer: make sure that in step 2 your driver version ends with .31
If that doesn't help make sure you have plugged it into a usb 2.0 port- try plugging it into different usb ports.
if none of that helps try a different computer :)
Last edited by yuriythebest on Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Minoru3d: getting the 30fps - AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE

Post by cybereality »

Nice guide. I still have yet to get one of those things.
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

Great guide, if/when I get a Minoru webcam I'll use it, thanks! :D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

slight update - the newer versions of the minoru3d driver will do all/most of this automatically - if you still have problems post here
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Thomas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Thomas »

Dude yew ROCK.

I just got a Minoru yesterday and I couldn't figure out why the video was so choppy? And that was using the newest drivers!

But I tried what yew said and it worked GREAT.

Something for y'all to keep in mind... This camera DOES seem to perform as advertised. However, if yew are in a large room, there is going to be ghosting. The further apart yew are from whatever is in front of yew or behind yew, the more ghosting there is going to be.

Also, the directions for the calibration are a bit off. If yew do what they say, there will be severe ghosting. Recalibrate again after the setup is finished with the 3D glasses ON. This will result in a better quality picture.

The main problem I am having with it is I can't get it working with AIM. The driver isn't there? It has the vimicro usb listed (twice, one for each camera), but there is no Novo Minoru driver listed in the menu to choose the camera. How do I get this thing to work in 3D with a messenger? ACK!
The Honorable Thomas A. McKean, HOKC
http://www.thomasamckean.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.neurointegrity.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Partner in Policymaking
Author, Soon Will Come the Light: A View From Inside the Autism Puzzle (Appeared on Oprah)
Author, Light On the Horizon: A Deeper View From Inside the Autism Puzzle

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”