Looking for two projectors

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Looking for two projectors

Post by Shilar »

I'm looking for two cheap projectors with the want of making a 3D setup, using dual DVD players (same model). I can separate the right and left channels and then make a dual-dvd 3D projection system, but I need two projectors that:

- do good on projection of DVD-quality (720p).
- have a decent lumens (1200+).
- not too big (My x1a projector is plenty big, would like a smaller unit).
- inexpensive bulbs ($300 for a bulb is a lot, if not too much)

Any suggestions? I've been looking at the micro projectors, but no way they'd work... too dim.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Looking for two projectors

Post by Neil »

Love the sig!

Regards,
Neil
tallguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tallguy »

I am actually nearing completion of a dual projector system right now. Sharky has been my guru through most of the proccess. But I'll do my best to offer advice based on what I have learned so far. Most of this information is available in various areas of this forum but I figure I'll consolidate some of it here.

1. What kind of filters do you plan to use? Most polarizing filters only transmit ~40% of the light through. If you are going to use one of them you will probably want to use a DLP projector with a 1600 or higher lumen rating (assuming very little ambient light). If you can afford to spend the money on Advisol StereoPol (SPAR) filters you can get 65% of your lumens (used to be >71% on the older version of the filter). SPAR filters can only be used with LCD projectors.

2. Are you looking to use a projector with a native 16:9 aspect ratio or are you OK with a standard 4:3 projector that uses letterbox. Most native 16:9 Home Theater projectors are fairly large in size and cost a bit more.

3. Where do you intend to mount your projectors (ceiling, table, shelf)? How far away from your screen will it be? How big of an image do you plan to project? This will determine the required throw rate, lens tilt, and keystone correction of your projectors.

Some other things to keep in mind:

o LCD projectors often come with lens tilt which really helps with superimposing your images without keystone correction. This is especially useful if you intend to mount your projectors on shelves

o Running projectors at max lumens often kicks their fans into overdrive. This means lots of noise. Since you will have two projectors you can multiply that by two. Also running them at max lumens decreases your lamp life. Opt for a projector with ~25% higher lumen capability than what you will require.

o This is a huge project that for most is very expensive and time consuming. Plan for everything before you begin making purchases. Do your homework. Identify experts with direct experience in building and using one of these systems (which I am not yet).

o Your projectors may be among the easiest fastest purchase you make. Filters, and screens are niche market items that are not normally targetted towards consumers and may require much more time to research and procure. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
NASAGuy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NASAGuy »

tallguy wrote:I am actually nearing completion of a dual projector system right now. Sharky has been my guru through most of the proccess. But I'll do my best to offer advice based on what I have learned so far. Most of this information is available in various areas of this forum but I figure I'll consolidate some of it here.

1. What kind of filters do you plan to use? Most polarizing filters only transmit ~40% of the light through. If you are going to use one of them you will probably want to use a DLP projector with a 1600 or higher lumen rating (assuming very little ambient light). If you can afford to spend the money on Advisol StereoPol (SPAR) filters you can get 65% of your lumens (used to be >71% on the older version of the filter). SPAR filters can only be used with LCD projectors.

2. Are you looking to use a projector with a native 16:9 aspect ratio or are you OK with a standard 4:3 projector that uses letterbox. Most native 16:9 Home Theater projectors are fairly large in size and cost a bit more.

3. Where do you intend to mount your projectors (ceiling, table, shelf)? How far away from your screen will it be? How big of an image do you plan to project? This will determine the required throw rate, lens tilt, and keystone correction of your projectors.

o LCD projectors often come with lens tilt which really helps with superimposing your images without keystone correction. This is especially useful if you intend to mount your projectors on shelves

o Running projectors at max lumens often kicks their fans into overdrive. This means lots of noise. Since you will have two projectors you can multiply that by two. Also running them at max lumens decreases your lamp life. Opt for a projector with ~25% higher lumen capability than what you will require.

o This is a huge project that for most is very expensive and time consuming. Plan for everything before you begin making purchases. Do your homework. Identify experts with direct experience in building and using one of these systems (which I am not yet).

o Your projectors may be among the easiest fastest purchase you make. Filters, and screens are niche market items that are not normally targetted towards consumers and may require much more time to research and procure. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
I'd love to get some more detailed info on this as well..
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

tallguy wrote:I am actually nearing completion of a dual projector system right now. Sharky has been my guru through most of the proccess. But I'll do my best to offer advice based on what I have learned so far. Most of this information is available in various areas of this forum but I figure I'll consolidate some of it here.

I plan for whatever is cheaply available, but would prefer 16:9. It's the current width of my screen.
If possible, closer is better, and will design a table for them (and a DVD with a lens alignment video). Nice thing on my current InFocus X1a is the ability to throw a 60-70" screen from 2-3' away.

Surprisingly I'm trying to simply recreate the 3D effect they use currently in theaters. RealD uses a standard screen from my knowledge (and avid movie-goer :wink: ), only the projector's different. As far as polarized lenses, there are two easy options, one good for a smaller projector, one for larger.

- The RealD glasses can easily be taken apart and the lens removed. Simply going to the theater a few times can land quite a few pairs on your lap.
- Edmund Scientific sells sheets of polarizing material here: http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3071939. Not sure on the compatibility with RealD's glasses, but with leftover material can fabricate a set as it is, using a pair of glasses from a second-hand store.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

A dual projector setup at home gives a similar and in some cases even better image than at the cinema. It costs since two projectors and silverscreen are needed but if you want the best there is today then a passive dual projector rig it is. Remember that nvidia 3d-vision drivers do not support dual projectors while more or less every other softwares do.
I use a passive rig with linear filters and experience that ghostingrejection and brightness is way better than in a reald cinema. Brightness is better since the screen is smaller though.
Future compability with console gaming is a questionmark but in general i believe high compability will be preserved in the future regarding computergaming and movies viewed through the computer.

When looking for projectors specially for dual projection: Go for lcd-projectors from the beginning! They indeed have polarized properties in the output beam but using 45/135 filters+glasses works just as great for lcd's as for dlp's etc. The advantage of choosing lcd's is that they can later be upgraded by using spar-filters. They're expensive but worth it since they can double the light output (i use them myself). However i can't really advice using advisol filters because of the low light throughput (which "only" gives about 50% light increase). It's hardly worth the price if using standard projectors. Atm i don't know any other manufacturers with more better/priceworthy spars though. :(
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”