Shockwave integration?

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Shockwave integration?

Post by Aeroflux »

While functional, the site still looks pretty basic at this point. The side navigation menu is nice, but remains static, with no interaction. Shockwave has the potential to transform this website into a real example of what 3D can do for gamers.

I would take the present design and dumb it down a little, make it look like a true 2D site at first glance. Take the cursor and make it a simple 3D cursor, as a hint. The instant the user hovers the 3D cursor over an interactive area, like a magic wand, links, banners, even news transforms to a 3D view.

I know bandwidth is always an issue, but here are some random ideas:

A polygonal shape with links that would expand into 3D slightly as the cursor hovers over them, expanding completely into window when clicked. The shape could be rotated with cursor movement. Maybe even make the cursor animate, showing interaction with the shape.

Navigation could be represented by lateral or vertical rotation of the main window.

The cursor could be a hand in a data glove.

The hand could take a side navigation link, crumple it like a piece of paper and throw it at the main window, causing the window go to the link with a explosive/focus warble/fireworks effect of transition.

The cursor could rotate to reveal two hands, one still pointing at the link, the other would move to point at the window, then a contact animation. Maybe the brightness would dim momentarily, simulating the transfer of energy. The main window would blur and like changing the channel or a satlink communique, the information would appear.

The hand could act like the hand from The Adams Family. 8)

It would really be cool if there were an alternative link for those that already own 3D hardware. A link that would lead to a true 3D mirror of the website. VRML maybe?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Shockwave does sound like a good idea. I'll ask internally about that.

Keep those valued ideas coming.

Regards,
Neil
sharky

Post by sharky »

i think that the problem is that around 10% of the users don't have shockwave.

i personally would make a static background wich looks a bit better, and add a javascript menu on it. just to have abit of movement.

what do you think?
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Neil

Post by Neil »

Well - let's get the basics done with the logo first, and as the foundations get laid down, the rest will be far easier to implement.

Still - I like the idea of making the site more animated.

Neil

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”