VR920 opinions

crises9000
One Eyed Hopeful

VR920 opinions

Post by crises9000 »

hey, nice to see a site dedicated to stereoscopic viewing :D i have been through a few different systems going back to 1995 with a vfx1. some asus geforce 3 shutter glasses and now have just got a VR920.

Having owned a vfx1 i knew what to expect with the low FOV being the biggest problem but at the price of 399 dollars especially with the pound being so strong against the dollar it was an easy choice.

In general the VR920 640x480 is pretty good, its not the type of resolution i would play guild wars in but IL2 sturmovik, EECH2 type of games with stereo and head tracking are really good and clear. icuiti have good customer service - i had a small problem with my unit which we sorted out with some DIY and they are sending me a free "immersion visor" for free for the hassle.

The unit has an SDK which they are pushing at developers but its support for older games is added by either some direct plugins or mouse emulation.

Considering stereo3d without the shutter glasses ghosting, built in head tracking, a nice light piece of hardware and the low price i would highly recommend.

Interested if anyone else has a VR920 yet? what do you think of it? oh and also have you gotten head tracking to work in IL2 1946 :D
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

Yes I've been watching the vr920 and keeping track a very long post on stereo3d.com about it. There's a member of that board, named Cybereality, that is supposed to give an indepth review of the eyewear.

If you play anything like Oblivion, Flatout or any type of FPS I'd like to hear your opinions and how restricting the FOV is while playing. I have some real doubts I'll want to play these types of games with such a small FOV.

Thanks the info :)
IZ3D~ My answer to S3D!
tentaclesex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tentaclesex »

Here is the aforementioned review: http://www.cybereality.com/trackback.ph ... 920_review

I ordered one of these devices, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. It has some limitations, but it's clearly very capable for the price.

Considering the state of driver and software support at the moment, I wouldn't want to get anything too fancy, because I know I'm going to be spending more time fiddling with settings than actually enjoying the 3D effect. :)
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Hi,

how have you orderd the iWear VR920?

I'm from Germany and icuti wants 82 Dollars (!!) Shipping.
and that for 6-8 Weekt waiting....

So do you know an other place to buy it?
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

I live in the netherlands and have the same problem. A while ago I e-mailed them about it and they replied with reasons why it's that high (some made sense others less so). Back then you could also place an order for only 2 units at most, but I pointed them to it and turned out it was a bug which they subsequently fixed.

Maybe if we find some other people we could do a european group buy and save some shipping costs. Would be even nicer if there was someone within an EU-country with low tax, since apart from the shipping there will also be lots of VAT (19% here, in Germany too I think) and at least here the VAT is calculated over the full productvalue PLUS the shippingcosts. Besides that there are also possibly importrights (I can't find out if this is true for this kind of product) and there's always a fixed amount of handlingcosts for customs (which in a groupbuy I presume would only have to be paid for once and thus would be split).
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Yes that an nice idear, but I will not be within this collective order, because my father knows an Lufthansa Pilot who kann carry that thing with him.

And I looked up at UPS.com there they want for an 2 lbs package from ny to germany 100 dollar
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Could that pilot take some additional units and have you ship them to the rest of us? For a nice fee of course ;) (would still be cheaper than the shipping costs)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

I just have to ask him, before next , monday I don't know anything Concrete
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Well I ordered a VR920 on tuesday and they sent it yesterday. It's already in the country, but has to be checked by customs so should get here on monday. Anyway, there is really no wait time anymore apparently :)

I'll let you guys know what I think of it once I have it and had some time to play with it.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Nice.
I've got my VR since two Weeks or so and started to love ebay ;)

And the 3d effect is so... B?M... ( http://www.bamlee.de.vu/ )

With the VR its better than with schutterglasses because you got no problems with Sync and ghosting and you can turn up the effect to the maxx.
In Oblivion and Bioshok I take 100% seperation without dubeling some objects.
I other games Theoretical that is also posible but I got flickering squares on the edges, but that is a Gf8800 and Core 2 duo 6700 problem.

The heandtracking I don't use, because in WoW its every time about 45 to 90 degees to the left. In Hl2 (deathmatch) the Headtracking functionate nicely but with the head you are not fast and accurate enough for such an game.

For me the 400$ are a good price for that thing.
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

I am getting a free one! They agreed to it a couple of days ago, and it is already in Sydney. Yay! It should be here soon. I think the 6-8 weeks is a lie, so that you get a pleasant surprise when you order it and it arrives a couple of days later :-).

The reason I am getting a free one, is because I made a free program for emulating TrackIR, Mouse, Joystick, or Keyboard with a VR920 (with either the head-tracker or microphone).

So if you want to play any TrackIR game with a VR920 then you can. Just check out the forums at http://forums.vr920.com

You may have to register for the forums before half the forums appear. It is strange that way, I don't know if they have fixed that.

Anyway, I can't wait to try it, even though I only have Windows Vista :(

I may have to try to hack some kind of stereo driver myself, damn you nvidia!
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

At least on the new site (they are vuzix now) they aren't even listing that wait time anymore. I think they just got a few more orders initially than expected and it took some time to have more units ready.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”