Goofy Idea - Panoramic s3D - is it even possible ?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Goofy Idea - Panoramic s3D - is it even possible ?

Post by craylon »

hi,
even tough I'm not that new to s3d I'll post my goofy ideas here not to bow my head in shame if its totally impossible...

I wanted to ask if anyone has ever heard of panoramic s3d.
let me explain what I mean:
back in the days when the internet was young I had a lot of clients that wanted a 360-degree look-around of their shop or houses they sell on their webpages. I hardly see these anymore but back then you would take a camera, make a ton of photos by rotating the camera always a few degrees and after that stitching the photos together. thos were put into some java applet on the page and visitor could kind of look around.

I was wondering if the same would work in s3d.
at first I thought it would not be so hard if you had a stereo image viewer that would not show you the whole pictures but only the right portion of it and the user would be able to move around in the picture. then a voice in the back of my head said I should worry about the angles and distortion and finally I was confused enough to post here to see if any expert could tell me if its possible in theory.

I'm asking this because I'd like to know if a sophisticated enough setup of cameras (and lenses/mirrors/whatever...) would be able to capture more then a straight view of a scene but a bit more. This would allow for a limited version of head tracking (lets say 10-20 degrees to all sides) even in real movies (opposed to real time rendered games)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Goofy Idea - Panoramic s3D - is it even possible ?

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, that is totally possible. In fact, I believe the Fujifilm W1 actually has a panoramic mode to do exactly that. You could also DIY it with your own 2 cameras and a dual camera bar mounted on a panoramic tripod head (http://www.nodalninja.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Of course you would have to take the pictures perfectly and then stitch them together yourself, but its totally doable.

In terms of video, that would be a little harder because I don't believe there is any equipment you could get off the shell to do this. It would have to be a custom job. But I have seen 360 degree videos done (in 2D) and it looks pretty cool:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/03/if ... ellowbird/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”