Tried searching for answers before asking these questions

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
bigdps
One Eyed Hopeful

Tried searching for answers before asking these questions

Post by bigdps »

Hi there,
I searched but couldn't find any answers to my questions. Either I used words that were too common or not enough info.

This is what I want to do. Knowing that next year might be the year where 3D is easily accessible to the normal user, I don't want to put too much money in.

Right now, I have an LG 160hz plasma TV and a Sanyo LCD projector. One system that I'd be interested in is the E-dimensional connecting to my HTPC. On their web site, they have a software that will let you watch regular movies in 3D.
Question is, would I be able to see a reasonable 3D effect if I got the proper refresh rates they are calling for? I understand that it will be far from being the 3D that we can see at our local theatre.

Both my displays don't have the 3d stereo flicking doodad so my HTPC would have to rely on the VGA dongle.

Any info will be appreciated.

Very informative site by the way! :shock:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Tried searching for answers before asking these questions

Post by cybereality »

EDimensional are a bunch of scam artists, don't believe anything their website says. First off, shutter glasses will not work on 99.9% of Plasma/LCD screens or with LCD projectors. There are a few DLP projectors that will work with shutter glasses, but not many. EDimensional falsely advertises that their product works with LCD screens and it is a flat-out lie. Secondly, real-time 2D->3D conversion is yet another load of BS. I have yet to see a system that could accurately produce any real sense of depth from a standard 2D source. It may produce some 3D effects for certain specific content, but it really doesn't work so well and is probably not worth your time or money.

Please explain more about what you are looking for and maybe someone can give you a recommendation. Are you just looking for 3D movies or do you also want to play games in 3D? Would you want 3D on your regular PC or only for the HTPC setup? What kind of video card / OS are you running on your machines?
bigdps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bigdps »

Thanks for your reply. At the price they were asking for glasses, I kinda thought this would've been too good to be true.

This is really what I'm looking for: After seeing "Up" and "Final Destination" in Real D, I'm looking to find a way where I can watch movies in 3D. We have seen many movies using the colored lenses but some aren't that good. The latest one I bought was Coraline and putting on the glasses they came with, the effect is very hard to try and endure for the whole show. So much that 15 minutes in the movie, I told my wife I had enough and so did she.

My projector is LCD based and my plasma had 160hz capabilities. I want something that will give me 3D movies for my wife and I. Computer is dual core with 3gb ram and 7600 nvidia card running on XP.

I know there is something coming soon so I don't really want to spend a fortune only to start all over again.

Having read this thread about being new to S3D, I see some people have 2 projectors or something like it. If I had to buy 2 used DLP projectors, that might be something to do.

Again, any input is appreciated.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Even if your plasma have 160Hz screen refresh it's a totally other thing if it actually accepts or handles 160Hz or even lower as "True refresh". Standard broadcasts fps are usually 24Hz which is multiplied of the tv-set into 160Hz (for example). This guarantees a relative flickerfree and comfortable experience.
In 3d the tv-set needs to shift the total image on the screen certain times a seconds (85Hz is minimum, still not really enjoyable in my experience). Most tv's with 100Hz and even upwards are not close to do this and i have no idea about yours. The lcd is most probably also a nogo with shutters. :(

Regardless: The most fun i had with 3d-gaming is actually at the ol' times when i used those e-d's and a crt! :D
I had a crt-monitor (works great with ed's and if you're able to get your hands on one it's gonna be cheap. It'll probably be second hand stuff though). One other thing to think about (you meet that criteria. :D): Maximum the 7000-series of nvidia is supported using the 91.31 + 91.31stereo. In some cases you can run newer stereodrivers (up to 162.50stereo + 169.21forceware). It depends on the good will of nvidia and your monitor. If only anaglyph option is given there are hacks to get around this (vga-pinmod) but i'm not entirely positive if the difference between 91.31 and 162.50 is really worth it.

So: Change your displaydrivers to 91.31 and download the 91.31stereo from mtbs3d and you should be able to run quite a few oldies in 3d. The "only" thing you need is a good old crt... Your projector will probably only be able to handle anaglyph and most probably also your tv. :( I don't think it will harm them if you try to run them in shuttermode with your e-d's but keep your expectations for 3d low!

Goos luck!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well if you are running XP with an old series 7 Nvidia card you do have some options. Mainly that you can get some used CRTs or even certain DLP projectors and these will actually work the the Edimensional glasses (or ELSA Revelators, etc.). Check out the list here (in the 85Hz category):
http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am pretty sure those projectors will work with the old Nvidia drivers and you can probably pick up a used model for around $400-800 depending on the brand. Of course, if you are thinking of getting one you might want to come back here and try to get confirmation if it works but that is the definitive list AFAIK. You could also get a cheap CRT used and a pair of generic shutter glasses (around $50) and at least test out some 3D for the time being. Most likely the really good quality 3D HDTV/projectors (aka 1080P full-res) aren't going to be out until mid-2010 (around the time the first 3D BluRays are coming out) so I wouldn't suggest spending a ton of money right now. However for around $500 or less you could probably get some last-gen tech to at least toy around with.
bigdps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bigdps »

On the computer that I have a CRT monitor (21 or 24 inch I think) I have Win 7 RC with a GTS 250 nvidia card. I have 8gb ram and quad core cpu.

If I were to buy ED glasses or something like it, would I be able to see 3D movies or like someone said earlier in this thread, the effect would not be the best since the computer would try to guesstimate were 3D effect should be applied?

There are so many choices to get S3D that it makes my head spin... :woot

If I get a chance, I'll try to see this weekend how fast my computer can force the plasma to refresh. it's still under warranty.... :shock:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I am not really sure what you said or what you are asking, but I believe the Nvidia 3D Vision *may* be compatible with your computer setup. It really depends on your specific CRT and whether it can do 120Hz in Windows7. If it can then there is a good chance it will work with the 3D Vision glasses, however I don't think you will be able to use edimensional glasses. Those are only for XP.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

eDimensional glasses work with iz3D in Horz. Interlaced mode.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

bigdps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bigdps »

Basically, I want to be able to see or watch regular movies in 3D on either my Plasma or my projector. That's the main goal. I keep reading about certain samsung plasmas that does 3d but my LG has no 3D output connection so I'd have to use my htpc. This is oh so confusing and to add salt to injury, there are at least 3 companies that I know of (Sony Panasonic and LG) that promise to have 3D sets out in 2010, that we will have 3 different incompatible standards that will have me stuck to choose the one, that I think, would be the winner of all three (if no other join in the run). I already lost with buying the HD-DVD thinking they'd be the winner that I don't really want to be the "loser" once again :shock:
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

bigdps wrote:Basically, I want to be able to see or watch regular movies in 3D on either my Plasma or my projector.
Impossible, its like turning black and white into color. Its just not possible with good results, at least not without human interaction (The likes of the professionals doing it for half a million due to the amount of work required to do it well)
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

bigdps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bigdps »

So I guess I am basically SOL until a real standard is approved and supported by all.

I might give my main computer a go at it though. Must be nice to play battlefield in 3D.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”