Invincible Tiger 3D trailer & screenshots!

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
phil
Cross Eyed!

Invincible Tiger 3D trailer & screenshots!

Post by phil »

Hi,

A 3D trailer and screenshots, in anaglyph format, have now appeared on http://www.invincibletiger.com

BUT PLEASE NOTE: these are cyan left eye, red right eye. That means you have to turn your anaglyph glasses around.

[UPDATE: The screenshots now open when you click on them]
[UPDATE: The video has been re-done... it now starts cyan-red and then switches to red-cyan part-way through. Oh dear]
[UPDATE: This is all Namco's fault]

Anyway... looking pretty tasty if you ask me 8)

Cheers,
phil
Last edited by phil on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Invincible Tiger 3D trailer & screenshots!

Post by cybereality »

Uh... I don't know what to say. I tried to watch that trailer with red/cyan glasses and I didn't see any 3D. I did try turning my glasses upside-down but that didn't help much at all. The screenshot thumbnails did appear to have some 3D effect, but you need a friggin password just to see the image. Not a good start...
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

mmmm.
definitely not a good start at all...
flipped my glasses upside down and did get some 3d effect, but hardly.
i actually prefer having the red part on my right eye, seems more natural.
waiting patiently......
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Hi,
I'm very puzzled by what you've said about the video...

Just to be totally clear - there are two trailer videos on that site; the 3D one is here: http://invincibletiger.com/#/3d/trailer
anotherFrench
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by anotherFrench »

I also don't like to turn my glasses arround but 3D seems to be nice
http://tls3d.fr le site de Toute La Stéréo 3D
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

I'll buy the game on XBOX Live when i get home tonight and try it with my Samsung DLP.
I'm curious to see if I can run the signal thru my Onkyo AV reciver and it pass the 3D thru to HDMI port 3, or if any processing the Onkyo does will mess it up.

May have to run a 2nd HDMI to my TV, we will see.
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

Killigath wrote:I'll buy the game on XBOX Live when i get home tonight and try it with my Samsung DLP.
I'm curious to see if I can run the signal thru my Onkyo AV reciver and it pass the 3D thru to HDMI port 3, or if any processing the Onkyo does will mess it up.

May have to run a 2nd HDMI to my TV, we will see.
same here, even tough Ill hate use anaglyph I feel somehow an obligation to help the pioneers of s3d out by spending a bit of money here and there...
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

The screenshots ask me for a password (using IE 8).
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
anotherFrench
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by anotherFrench »

same here using firefox but the video works
http://tls3d.fr le site de Toute La Stéréo 3D
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Just downloaded the game and the 3D works great. My Onkyo 705 receiver passes it thru without a hiccup. All i had to do was use HDMI 3 instead of 1 on my TV, then plug in my dongle and turn 3D on in the Samsung menus.

The game menus were very easy to deal with. Swapped to Digital 3D (defaults to anaglyph). I set mine to 3D DLP TV then had to press Y to see advanced options. Messed around with it a bit. Have to set your screen width manually its 26" by default, so i changed mine was 60". I liked it on 20% brightness and 50% on the 2 3D settings.

The Depth was really nice, but isn't distracting from the game. Pop up text boxes are popped out a bit which is nice. The cut scenes have good 3D and i really like the leaves flying around. The cool thing about 3D mode for this game is that when you go in and out of the 3-4 planes you can really tell the depth into each area. Hard to explain, you'll just have to try it out.

Very nice IMO for the first 3D enabled console game, even if it is an arcade game. I hope other developers take notes and there are more to come soon. Can't wait for Avatar now that I know how easy it is to set up an Xbox with a DLP enabled TV :)
JonF
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JonF »

Killgath, what glasses are you using, ive got Nvidia ones and they dont seem to work:(
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

I'm using the Tridef glasses kit. The dongle plugs strait into my TV on the 3D port.

http://www.blitzgamesstudios.com/invinc ... /print.php

According to that link "Nvidia GVision (these only work with PC games)"
skylennard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by skylennard »

After an extensive internet search, I'm thoroughly stumped with PS3 3D, so I'm hoping someone here can help!?

The Invincible Tiger site indicates that they've tested their game with various 3D TVs... including the Mitsubishi 3D Ready DLPs...and since it's only out for Xbox and PS3, the stereoscopic 3D doesn't appear to require a PC to work!?

Everything else to date apparently has (to get the drivers to work right for the 3D effect) required a PC to make use of the TV's ability to do 3D...as far as I can tell?

The Mitsubishi TV site WD60737 (my model) spec sheet PDF shows that the 3D emitter port is an OUTPUT on the TV...so the TV should be sending the data to the emitter to sync up the glasses to the screen's refresh rate... but in the nVidia setup (at Fry's Electronics here in AZ) the emitter has a plug that goes to USB on the PC that's sending out the 3D video source, and another plug to the TV. I am not sure why it needs to connect to the PC (other than for power reasons, not data reasons), since it should be getting the sync signal from the TV 3D emitter port, right?

So, is it safe to say that I should be able to buy a pair (or a few) of the Samsung SSG1000 3D kit and glasses and plug in the emitter to the TV and the stereoscopic 3D powered by this game from my PS3 will work?

Assuming that it actually *would* work, does anyone know if this is even remotely future-safe with the apparently forthcoming "bios upgrade" previously announced (google "playstation 3d bios upgrade" for a bunch of reference links) to get BluRay and "all games in 3D" support on the PS3 whenever Sony gets around to releasing that, sometime in 2010?

I'm really anxious to play my PS3 in 3D, even if the only game supported so far is Invincible Tiger, which looks like a pretty cool game in its own right... but I'd rather wait if this stuff hasn't been hashed out yet and is subject (and/or probable) to change. I'm not even remotely interested in setting up a media center PC to get 3D on my TV... I'd rather wait for full 3D support from the PS3 since all I care about with 3D is gaming and BluRay movies, both of which seem to be forthcoming from Sony... but if this is the first of many, I'm ready to jump on board as the train is first leaving the station (so to speak)

Any ideas and/or suggestions for what I should do? Has anyone been able to get their PS3 to do stereoscopic 3D with their 3D-Ready TV (preferably my model)?

Thanks!!!

-nate
skylennard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by skylennard »

...and does anyone know where to get those glasses? It appears that Samsung has discontinued them... ::sigh::

... which ones are a good substitute? I like the nVidia ones, but they're kind of cost prohibitive.

Thx again for any/all suggestions!

-nate
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

skylennard wrote:Has anyone been able to get their PS3 to do stereoscopic 3D with their 3D-Ready TV (preferably my model)?
Yes 8) This game is compatible with all 3D-ready DLPs on both PS3 and 360. All you need is the right emitter that plugs into your TV, and the glasses that go with it. You also have to set the console to the native res of the TV.

There's no PC involved. The game engine generates the two views and sends them to the DLP in checkerboard format. The DLP itself alternates between displaying the left-eye and right-eye subsets of the pixels, and drives the emitter to sync the glasses accordingly.

Have fun!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

tried watching with reversed anaglyph glasses and it was 3d at first few scened but later it was very poor
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

yuriythebest wrote:tried watching with reversed anaglyph glasses and it was 3d at first few scened but later it was very poor
Yeah, it's because the video starts cyan-red and then switches to red-cyan part-way through (at the shot where they're fighting on the tree branch).

It's another embarrassing example of a 3D video made by someone who doesn't understand 3D :evil:
Reassuringly it's the publishers who messed this up and not the developers of the game.

In any case, some appropriately furious emails were sent about this... hopefully they'll avoid these problems next time round.
skylennard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by skylennard »

phil wrote:This game is compatible with all 3D-ready DLPs on both PS3 and 360. All you need is the right emitter that plugs into your TV, and the glasses that go with it.
Which glasses do you have, or suggest?

I was hoping to pick up some of the samsung SSG1000, but they're apparently discontinued.

These are the only glasses that IMHO were the right balance between cost and quality... until the Sony PS3 3D glasses (powered by RealD) are put out in 2010 [[speculation]].

;)

Thanks!

-nate
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

I wonder how much actual development is involved in making the game compatible with different dlp-tvs. Generating the views is more or less straightforward, wondering about the rest. Is there just one uniform method of concocting the left-right images between different manufacturers? Any APIs?

I'm developing games on a small scale for now on iPhone, thinking about trying x360 with 3d :)
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Rosomack wrote:I wonder how much actual development is involved in making the game compatible with different dlp-tvs. Generating the views is more or less straightforward, wondering about the rest. Is there just one uniform method of concocting the left-right images between different manufacturers? Any APIs?
Hi Rosomack,

DLP displays are nice and friendly because:
- they all take in the same stereo format (checkerboard)
- they only come in two resolutions (1920x1080p or 1280x720p)
- both of the resolutions are supported by Xbox 360 and PS3.

So, to support every 3D-ready DLP, you just have to be able to output checkerboard stereo at both those resolutions, and provide a way of swapping the eyes because I have a feeling the left-right order can vary.

Here's the paper on the DLP standard:
http://www.dlp.com/downloads/Introducing%20DLP%203D%20HDTV%20Whitepaper.pdf

Good luck with the games!
phil
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

Very nice! Thank you, Phil :)
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

I believe you are mistaken about DLP. The source does NOT output 'checkerboard format' to the DLP. The source sends a side by side (or perhaps over/under?) image to the DLP at 60hz (60 frames per second). The DLP decodes this by seperating each 'double image' frame into 2 single image frames and creates the checkerboard pattern. This is why 3D DLP can and will be viable for many years to come for having a wonderfully large, cheap, and great picture quality 3D HDTV.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

tomgiboney wrote:I believe you are mistaken about DLP. The source does NOT output 'checkerboard format' to the DLP. The source sends a side by side (or perhaps over/under?) image to the DLP at 60hz (60 frames per second). The DLP decodes this by seperating each 'double image' frame into 2 single image frames and creates the checkerboard pattern. This is why 3D DLP can and will be viable for many years to come for having a wonderfully large, cheap, and great picture quality 3D HDTV.
Checkerboard is one of the dlp "standards". It means that the input signal to the projector indeed is interleaved l/r image in a checkerboard pattern. Side-by-side is another whether or not squashed...
The above statement falls on this i think: If the original image is side-by side, then why convert it to checkerboard which gives half res (unless the dlp have twice the original res) when the dlp uses shutters to alter images? It makes no sense.
It's not general that stereoinputsignal is checkerboard interleaved, side-by-side etc. I agree it's somewhat confusing though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

Likay wrote:
tomgiboney wrote:I believe you are mistaken about DLP. The source does NOT output 'checkerboard format' to the DLP. The source sends a side by side (or perhaps over/under?) image to the DLP at 60hz (60 frames per second). The DLP decodes this by seperating each 'double image' frame into 2 single image frames and creates the checkerboard pattern. This is why 3D DLP can and will be viable for many years to come for having a wonderfully large, cheap, and great picture quality 3D HDTV.
Checkerboard is one of the dlp "standards". It means that the input signal to the projector indeed is interleaved l/r image in a checkerboard pattern. Side-by-side is another whether or not squashed...
The above statement falls on this i think: If the original image is side-by side, then why convert it to checkerboard which gives half res (unless the dlp have twice the original res) when the dlp uses shutters to alter images? It makes no sense.
It's not general that stereoinputsignal is checkerboard interleaved, side-by-side etc. I agree it's somewhat confusing though.
This confirms what I am saying: http://www.dlp.com/downloads/DLP%203D%2 ... nology.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason DLP can't do full rez 3D page flip is simple.... bandwidth. Also, the fact that DLP's in 1920x1080 are actually 960x1080 and the DMD chip 'wobbles' very very quickly to double the 960 and create 1920. The 3D feature on DLP uses this to it's advantage. That's why ghosting is almost completely eliminated and shutter sync is almost perfect on DLPs.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

True about bandwidth. But i meant that the source (computer, future bluray etc) indeed outputs checkerboard interleaved signal to the projector. No way around but it's still half res which then is interpolated up to "true" full hd res.
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

Likay wrote:True about bandwidth. But i meant that the source (computer, future bluray etc) indeed outputs checkerboard interleaved signal to the projector. No way around but it's still half res which then is interpolated up to "true" full hd res.
So... it's the source/input that decides on the checkerboard pattern, it's just that the DLP knows which pixels to send to the left eye and which go to the right eye? I think my confusion is clearing... Thanks Likay
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Exactly. The ways to fill in the "missing" pixels may vary but if it's done it's always done in the projectors hardware. So you most probably won't see a checkerboard pattern with your eyes since the missing pixels are interpolated via the projectors internal electronics.

Return to “3D Console Gaming”