DLP Dualview of 2 players using 1 TV - is it even possible?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
disolitude
One Eyed Hopeful

DLP Dualview of 2 players using 1 TV - is it even possible?

Post by disolitude »

Hi everyone,

I purchased the LED DLP 67 inch samsung TV 7-8 months ago (HL67A750) and have been very interested in the 3D promisses that I saw at various CES shows.

There was a Texas Instruments demo in 2008 of something called Dualview. Basically it had 2 players playing a game on the same TV using the glasses and 2 Xbox360 systems. This demo can be seen here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuXlNe6s7s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However there hasn't been any news on how to make this work on latest DLP TV's... I know that Samsung has stopped making these DLP TV's but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible with the latest TV drivers or settings. I tried looking through the manual and their website and there is no info on this what so ever. I guess the hard part is getting 2 video sources to combine in to 1 intermitent video. If these TV's can't do this, is there an accessory that can?

Any info or insight is appreciated...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: DLP Dualview of 2 players using 1 TV - is it even possible?

Post by cybereality »

Well if you just want to play 2 videos you have on your computer then you can use the Stereoscopic Player and just load the left & right channels using seperate videos. The audio will only play from one channel though. If you are trying to output a realtime source (like having an Xbox360 on one eye and the PS3 on another) then thats a little complicated. Not sure if thats possible without some serious hacking.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages ... 1224780213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One side note: The sales person where I bought my DLP TV mentioned a feature of these TVs where two different people could see two different images on the same screen at once (i.e., one person watching TV while another is playing videogames)...I can see how this might be feasible, as with 3D, there are two images being sent out, but I have not heard this anywhere else...If anyone knows more, would be interesting to hear more, but really, although it sounds cool, I can't image how practical this would be, especially when you consider audio.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/texa ... echnology/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/vide ... k-geekier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Things get interesting when you remember that current DMD can do 5000hz, and each viewer only need 60hz, so how many people could be watching one tv? But all seeing different channels!
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
disolitude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by disolitude »

cybereality wrote:Well if you just want to play 2 videos you have on your computer then you can use the Stereoscopic Player and just load the left & right channels using seperate videos. The audio will only play from one channel though. If you are trying to output a realtime source (like having an Xbox360 on one eye and the PS3 on another) then thats a little complicated. Not sure if thats possible without some serious hacking.
Thanks for the advice...I will try the first suggestion and will play around with a few things once I get my 3D shutter's.... I was hoping texas instruments had a product solution ready since they were showing it off well over a year ago.

I am looking to order a set of glasses and am leaning towards the TriDef solution as they seem to support Samsung officially as well as provide means to view 2D dvd's in 3D. Do you have any experience with them or any recomendations for or against me purchasing them?

I know this is somewhat off topic but I noticed that the Samsung TV I have lets me go in to 3D mode even without the glasses plugged in. It lets me select it when my PC is plugged in to my TV with HDMI...however it will not let me go in to 3D mode if the computer resolution is set to 1920x1080. Option is grayed out and it kicks me out of 3D mode while I am in it when switching the resolution...Is this possibly a know issue with ATI video cards or something you heard before? The 3D mode works fine but looks cropped at 1360x768...
Thanks again
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

disolitude wrote:as provide means to view 2D dvd's in 3D.
When will people learn...
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

disolitude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by disolitude »

UndeadD3vi1 wrote:
disolitude wrote:as provide means to view 2D dvd's in 3D.
When will people learn...
Are you saying that it will suck in quality or that this isn't possible?

I've tested it with TriDef demo software few hours ago and while I don't have glasses yet to test if the quality sucks, the JCVD DVD movie video was doubled and blurry as it should have been...so i believe it should work.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

I've tried TriDef with Red/Cyan Glasses, tested with several different types of videos (Futurama, Die Hard 4, Heroes)
Most of the time it didn't even produce 3D, but when it did it was really weird and deffo not anything like a Real 3D movie.

Its like converting a Black and White TV show into Full color. Its simply not possible, at least not with satisfactory results. (Although if you add humans into the conversion process the story is different in the case of 3D)

Edit: I'm going to go and test it again on my Shutterglasses so I can give more details. (I only had Red/Cyan glasses two months ago when I tested TriDef)
Edit2: I'll need to reinstall Windows to try it again unless I pirate it.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

disolitude
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by disolitude »

I see UndeadD3vil..

This is good info to know. This makes me want to go with the Nvidia glasses simply because of the known brand but I have an ATI GPU...not sure if im willing to spend 400 bucks on glasses and videocard

I'll have to do some more research and see what games are supported by each etc...
xFullHD3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xFullHD3D »

I only read that it could be a possible feature (in the future) to watch 2 different things.

Like he watches sports and she enjoys a movie OR she plays a game and he sees a BluRay - both with shutters, headphones and of course both in 2D...

I do not know of a currently available out-of-the-box solution...
Does anyone else know?

That needs a twin-receiver, two signal muxer, sound separator, ... :roll: :? :mrgreen:

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”