Help! My Zalman 3D is no longer allowing correct resolution!

MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Help! My Zalman 3D is no longer allowing correct resolution!

Post by MadRussian »

First off, I've had a Zalman Trimon 22" 3D monitor since last spring... and it's always worked like a charm. (Technically, I've got a dual monitor setup, the 2nd monitor being a non-3d Asus 22" with the same available resolution set as the Zalman.)

The trouble started when I took my computer over to my sister's the other day (box only), plugging it into a different primary monitor. Got home later and plugged back in my Zalman 3D, ready to fire up some S3D gaming. Unfortunately, the available resolutions are restricted now, and the requisite 1680*1050 is no longer available. No 1680*1050, no S3D. :?

Taking a closer look in the display settings, I noticed that my Zalman is listed as a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor", while my Asus is shown as a "Generic PnP Monitor". Unlike my Zalmanm, my Asus is currently allowing the expected resolutions, so now I'm thinking it's a driver issue. Thing is, after checking, both monitors are using the same driver! And the option to roll back the Zalman driver is greyed out (indicating it hasn't changed)... :|

After some head scratching, I next tried the "Allow all resolutions" option on my Zalman, which as expected, allowed 1680*1050. Thinking I was all set for S3D, I fired up Mass Effect, only to discover that the game only allows the aformentioned limited resolutions, (based on the Non-PnP). :shock:

So now I'm stumped... Hope it's something obvious that I'm missing.

In any event, any help getting me back up and running again would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Help! My Zalman 3D is no longer allowing correct resolution!

Post by Neil »

Uninstall your GeForce or Catalyst drivers completely. It would probably be wise to get a free driver cleaner software package too.

Once you re-install, this should solve your problem.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You may have swapped the video cables by accident. For the 3D to work the Zalman needs to be plugged into the first port on the video card. I am almost sure thats what happened. Just to be safe, unplug the ASUS and leave just the Zalman connected on the primary port and make sure that works first.
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

Thanks for the suggestion Neil. :)

I tried uninstalling my GeForce drivers and then reinstalling... and unfortunately no dice. I'm still locked out of 1680*1050 on my Zalman.
Then I tried swapping out the connectors between the two monitors, to no avail.

For whatever reason, Windows thinks my Zalman is not Plug and Play, and thus restricts my resolution settings.

Any other ideas?

Edit:

After typing out the above response, I see your post cybereality. Yes, I tried swapping them out with no luck.
Now I'll try with Asus unplugged, trying the Zalman in each port to make sure I get the primary. Will return shortly with result...
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

That nailed it Cybereality. Both monitors now recognized as Plug and Play, with both purring away at 1680*1050 (and without having to "Show all resolutions").
Thanks for the help guys... great community here! :D

Now a quick driver related question:

While installing the new GeForce video driver (190.38), it automatically uninstalled my previous S3D driver during the setup.
I had been running the 181.20 video driver and the corresponding 181.20 S3D driver (which at the time installed and showed up seperately in "Programs and Features").

Seems I need a new S3D driver now. However, on the nVidia website, they only seem to have 3D Vision drivers listed. When I look at the listed Products Supported (for 3D Vision driver 186.18), I don't see Zalman Trimon!

Anyone know if nVidia is still (silently) supporting Zalman in 3D Vision 186.18?

If not:
a. Should I simply revert to the 181.20 set? (Fortunately I did keep the files.)
b. Was there a higher final release of nVidia S3D drivers prior to them dropping Zalman support?

Thanks again! :)
gicko
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gicko »

HI MadRussian
there is a zalman steroscopic driver 190.38 that works perfectly with the 190.38 display driver !!!

I have it in my PC and i am sure you can also find it...
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

Found it on nVidia website... didn't notice the link chain at first (starting in the Other Drivers area).
To be quite honest, after seeing links to the TriDef drivers on the Zalman website, I was so sure that nVidia had dropped Zalman support.
Fortunately that's not the case!

Thanks Gicko! 8)

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”