3d glass's on samsung 67 inch DLP

vintendo
One Eyed Hopeful

3d glass's on samsung 67 inch DLP

Post by vintendo »

Hi guys just wanted to say nice site Before I start to babble hah

well here is the best way to explain if you guys could be ever as so kind to lend a hand.

I bought the tv and the glass's at the same time .. they are the tridef (4 pairs) and the tv is a 67 inch samsung Dlp with 3d supprt

Ever since I got them I thought I was being scammed .. I could never understand how All the forums had people talking about how amazing it was ..

for me it never seemed to work no matter what ..

always ghosting the whole time.. or just no effect at all... Sometimes It Would work for a scene or two then I would have to Mess with it all over on each scene to get it to work for a little bit again ..

Well Today I had a day off and I thought that since all the money that i spent on this whole set up I would try again at getting them to work. .

after once again messing with it for a few hours... (and god does it make you dizzy messing with it haha)

I ended up getting it to work !!!!

and Couldn't believe how amazing it is ...
now the thing is ...

it only works on 1024x768... which means its SUPER tiny...

but I can see how it should be working its amazing ..

I wanted to ask since it seems like you guys have got it down pretty good.. .

Can it be done where it Fits the screen or is it only when its super small like that.

I read that you can at 720 and 1080.... which would be amazing .

or is the idea that i have of these things completely off ..

I built the computer less then 7 months ago with very Good parts so its not that ..

maybe the video card is not set up right ? Or the tv is not taking the Right REs?

has to be something cause it works perfect when I make the screen 1024x768 just super small...

Thank you For your time.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3d glass's on samsung 67 inch DLP

Post by cybereality »

Hey man! Welcome to the board.

Which TV do you have specifically? I am going to assume its the Samsung HL67A750. If thats the case you should be able to run it in 1080P full-screen in 3D mode. I am not sure why that wouldn't be working. At least you know the glasses and everything work since you can see 3D at 1024x768. I also have to ask exactly what programs/drivers/games you have been using to test with, that can make a difference. Also list your system specs just for completeness.

I would recommend downloading the Stereoscopic Player ( http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and trying out some of the HD video samples they have on the site. The trial version will allow you to watch 5 minutes of video, more than enough to see if your setup works. You can also download the iz3D driver and use the trial to test some games: http://www.iz3d.com/t-dcdriver.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few people here with 3D-DLP setups so maybe they can help you further. Good luck.
vintendo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vintendo »

thank you for teh advice

yeah the pc is pretty much new

I have a intel quad core 2.66ghz. With 4gb of 1333 ram with an ati 3870 with 1gb

I have been using tridef and that same player you havel linked here.

Just weird that it would work fine with the res set at 1024x768 but not at 1080.. :(
vintendo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vintendo »

any help ?
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

vintendo wrote:it only works on 1024x768... which means its SUPER tiny...
Wow, if thats "super tiny" I'd hate to watch a DVD or anything else in Standard Definition on your TV because thats even lower resolution. (Every Monitor/TV I've seen upscales by default :roll: )

I don't think Tridef have much respect amoung the people here, one things for sure though its not possible to generate decent 3D video from 2D video in real-time which they claim their software does it great. (In my testing I got no or a bad 3D effect on every 2D video I watched with their software)

From what you've said it sounds like you bought this to only watch Movies in 3D. You are aware that there is literally only a couple 3D Movies in the right format for you to watch right? And that you can not convert normal videos into 3D?
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

vintendo wrote:any help ?
Can you please explain what the problem is exactly? Are you running your PC desktop at 1080P resolution? When you start a 3D video, what do you see? Full-screen with just a 2D image? Checkerboard image without the glasses working? Somewhat working, but out of sync (as in the left and right eyes swap randomly). Its really difficult to say what the problem might be. Also, have you at least given the iz3d drivers a shot (you can download any DirectX game for testing, like Call of Duty 4, for example)?
vintendo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vintendo »

its pretty much like this. in anything higher then 1024x768 the effect doesnt work at all.

seems that in 1080p The Effect is barely there or i have to mess with it non stop to keep it somewhat going.

As Far as 720p The samething happens

I think this has to do with scailing or something along them lines that the video card is Doing.

just weird that it would work Perfect in 1024x768 but its a very tiny size in the middle of the tv.

I have many samples of stereo 3d That Seem to working with ALOT of ghosting in 1080 and of course I always have to be messing with the settings while the movie is playing in order to keep it somewhat working.

but in 1024x768 it works perfect even on 2d dvd movies and so on. Even go it to work on a bluray but its toooooo small
vintendo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vintendo »

can anyone help me ?
vintendo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vintendo »

ive spent the last two days doing nothing but trouble shooting and reinstalls of the os...

and still nothing ..

seems that ive tried everything from xp to vista to windows 7 ... and 32 bit and 64 bit ...

It seems that the new ATI drivers dont have the same options that the old ones used to have... like overscan setting and such..

The Tv now Refuses to give me the 3d option ... now it only lets me turn on 3d when the pc is set to 1024x768 and only then.

Any help would be great. I would be glad to pay anyone via paypal for there time
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Try unplugging the emitter and plugging it back in. That works for me when my TV won't switch to 3D mode. Its best to have some sort of 3D image/video/game up so you can tell if its working right off.

I have also noticed that my TV wont go into 3d mode except for certian resolutions. Used to run my monitor in 1900x1200 cloned with a samsung monitor. With that high a resolution it cuts off the very top and bottom of the screen when in 3D mode. Like half of the start bar isn't visible, but its playable.

You have to switch the TV into 3D mode using the remote and going into the menus. When I am in 3D mode 1080p, the screen looks slightly pinkish.

Also, are you plugging the HDMI cable into the HDMI port labeled 3D? There is only one HDMI input that supports it. On my TV its the 3rd HDMI input. The VGA connection to your TV will not work if thats what you are using. Get yourself a DVI to HDMI cable or converter.
vintendo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vintendo »

yeah seems that i got it working again.. but not like thats a good thing hah

After Reinstalling os after os all day For the past two days .. im back on windows vista 32 bit with ati drivers 8.11 anything else would not give me the pixel format slider in CCC and hence the Tv would not let me turn on 3d...

seems that this is just a fluke and Doesnt work like i thought it would to be honest.. the only Time that I can see 3d is when I put the res at 1024x768 which is maybe a 1/4 of my tv (67 inch)

I have it all hooked up Right in the third hdmi slot and im using the dongle that Came with the ati card DVi/HDMI...

I dont know what could be Wrong im losing my mind here ..
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Are you able to view your PC on your DLP in 1920x1200 (or 1080) in non-3d mode?
Perhaps try raising the refresh rate to 60hz if its not already there.

When mine won't go into 3D mode it is usually because the 3D emitter isn't plugged in properly or it just needs to be unplugged and replugged. Occasionally I have to turn off my tv and back on to get 3d mode working.

Since you have an ATI card. I suggest downloading IZ3D drivers and displaying their test screen. IZ3D checkerboard DLP output is free to all ATI users. So might as well grab it to test on and play games on if you have any.

That's about all I can think of man, good luck.
gravity360
Cross Eyed!

Post by gravity360 »

Hey buddy, I had a same issue for a long while. It's your video drivers. The ATI Video drivers will enable a feature called OVERDRIVE where you can control the scaling. I'm not talking about the Overdrive used for overclocking the video card either. All you need to do to play at 1080 is make sure that you have disabled the scaling. If you don't disable it, then you can only play at the one resolution. I spent countless hours working this out with the IZ3D drivers. But once I got it working, the 3D just blew me away. Ghosting was almost next to none! I could not stop playing L4D with my cheap LC shutter glasses and my novint falcon controller. Anyways, let me know if that helps. OH yeah, once you get it going, don't start reaching out to touch your tv, cause it's really hard to tell just when your gonna bump into it and breaking it by putting your hand out to reach for something that you darn well know isn't there, well that's just plain... dumb.
cyberized
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyberized »

I see you were using an ATI Card.....please tell me, after you went to using the DVI\HDMI OUT in order to enable 3D on your Sammy.....did that ""knock out" your Audio thru the ATI card? I have a similar Sammy TV and after I changed from straight HDMI to the DVI\HDMI I gained 3D but LOST Sound and the ATI which WAS the Default sound provider now says "not plugged in". I have spent 2 days trying to get this straightened out - am about to forget 3D and sell my NEW XpanD 102's.

PLEASE help me IF you can....before I throw in the towel

TKS michael :?
Snozz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Snozz »

I have ATI's newest drivers and there is a way to disable overscan(it's called overscan, not overdrive as another poster suggested). In ATI's Catalyst Control Center, Overscan can be turned off under "Desktops and Displays"->In the bottom left click the arrow on the TV icon and select "Configure"->"Scaling Options"->Drag slider to the right to set to 0%

I also have a samsung DLP.

1) The problem with this however is for me it cuts off a large portion of the screen on all sides. I have heard of people fixing this by creating a custom resolution of 1800x 1000 or something like that so their desktop isn't cut off. Which doesn't really make since to me. It's as if the projector is mounted such that there are 30 or so pixels being projected off the screen and the video drivers have to scale the image to fit into a smaller portion of the screen?

There are no options in the Samsung DLP's menus for sizing the screen, only for moving it up/down/left/right.

2) The Samsung DLP when put into 3D mode disabled most of the brightness/color settings, and the default colors are not good. I could adjust the colors in the ATI driver, but then when I switch back to non-3D mode the colors will be off again. Ideally the colors should be corrected with the TV's settings so that switching between 3D mode does not cause that problem.

3) I had gotten IO Display's shutter glasses because I couldn't find any other shutter glasses that I could confirm would be compatible. It makes games much darker, and I can't adjust the brightness/contrast with the TV settings since they are disabled when in 3D mode. The game's settings are limited and trying to brighten the picture makes it washed out because there is no contrast/gamma settings that I can use to compensate. It is really dark since the glasses black out each eye half the time, and then on top of that the checker board format only illuminates half the pixels. So even when an eye can see the pixels, that eye is only seeing half the pixels. So effectively the amount of light an eye is receiving has been cut down to one quarter of the original.

So if I want 3D, it seems sacrificing large edges of my desktop, putting up with bad colors, and a dark picture. Plus the glasses hurt my nose and strain my eyes, but I knew that would happen and was willing to put up with that. I didn't reallize how the checkerboard format worked before I got the glasses. I assumed it was just another data format, but now I see how it actually sacrifices image quality. It isn't noticeable at first, but fine details exaggerate the problem. In games like Oblivion, it makes details like leaves look heavily pixelated, in a kind of old school dithering kind of way. It looks really bad as trees wave in the wind and the leaves do a little pixilated dance. This is running at 1920x1080, and I even tried jacking Anti-Aliasing up to 8x but that didn't make it better at all. Kind of disappointed and thinking about returning the glasses.

Would be interested in hearing opinions on these issues.
cyberized
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyberized »

Well sir - I am GLAD to read your honest evaluation of your 3D experience on your DLP Sammy........a SORRY to have to concur with MOST of what you report. I too took the plunge but spent/wasted more money on my experiment because I invested over $100 in just one pair of XpanD 102's [more on that later].
1st - I too was surprised to find that after you initiate the 3D\PC setup it auto basically obliterates your finely worked out Movie Settings and your picture is degraded in whatever you watch after that using that HDMI 3 connection. I thought yesterday that maybe there is a way around that by pulling the Standard setting and adjust it to what your old Movie settings were - NO luck it too has been grayed out in crucial settings choices. Then it took me a while to realize that this setup is not going to work for us in watching 3D over Cable or Satellite because you have to use a different HDMI port for them. Let down there too.
2nd - The 102's - for me - have also been a disappointment.....my initial trial of them I got lots of flickering and going to brighter and then darker.....contacted XpanD and they said try another battery...I did, and it was better BUT still not continually smooth, as some report, did enjoy watching Avatar using TMT3D plug in to fake it up from 2D-3D....was surely not perfect by any means BUT was still FUN. But like last night I did the same with Pan's labyrinth and it just was NOT worth it......flicker flicker and dar to light and overall darkness + like you said, they HURT my nose after while - I wear glases and the 102's weight eventually wears down on myy regular glasses until they HURt the ridge of my nose. I ended up once again turning OFF the 3D effect and enjoying the movie more in 2D.
XpanD tech support was GREAt and they actually replaced that batter with 3 of them...and told me that if I had to they would replace them......thru my retailer....I probably should do that,,,lots of money to me, on my income....but truthfully, I just don't think another pair would be any better.......so am not going thru the HASSLE...writing off buying them as mistake.
ONE Positive out of this for me.......Stereoscopic effects using Anaglyph Glasses while playing PC Games......BUT ..... I did not have to invest all this money for that, wish I'd known, YES, enjoying playing with the IZ3D software and using the Red/Blue glasses one can actually get some real nice 3D effects like you want thru those shutter glasses.
I now will wait until something better and cheaper that - down the road - arrives - as far as 3D glasses go........

Dissappointed, michael :(

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”