AMD x4 940 BE or Intel E8500

andrewmoquin
One Eyed Hopeful

AMD x4 940 BE or Intel E8500

Post by andrewmoquin »

Hi. I am building a computer and I have most the parts picked out except for the CPU. I think my GPU will be a hd 4870. This computer will be primarily for gaming and some occasional video converting. I can't decide whether to go AMD or Intel for the processor. I see that the AMD phenom ii x4 940 black edition and the Intel Core 2 duo e8500 are the same price. I know that the Intel has a slightly higher clock speed than the AMD but the AMD has 4 cores, runs at 3 ghz and has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking. I would appreciate some advice about which one to pick. I don't have a preference for either company.
Also, I would spend up to $250 on a CPU so if anyone has a better suggestion I would appreciate it.
I live the US by the way.
Thanks!
“Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.”
“Marriage is a three ring circus: engagement rings , wedding rings and sufferings.”
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: AMD x4 940 BE or Intel E8500

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

I'm personally a Intel fan (Used to love AMD, but they seem to have lost all advantages they once had)

But out of the two CPU's you mentioned, I would go for the AMD because I could never go back to a Dual Core from this nice OCed Quad (I have Intel Q6600, runs at 3.2Ghz easily with decent fan!)
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: AMD x4 940 BE or Intel E8500

Post by cybereality »

I would go with the E8500 if I were you. I'm running an E8400 which I OC'd up to 3.6GHz at one point (running stock now, though). Its a pretty solid chip, no complaints. Intel has always made better chips, the only thing AMD has is a price advantage. Also, what stereo3d solution are you planning on getting? It doesn't matter for the CPU but for the GPU it may make a difference.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”