Got my 3D Ready DLP, Now what?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
simmerd
One Eyed Hopeful

Got my 3D Ready DLP, Now what?

Post by simmerd »

I just got one of the last Samsung 61" LED based DLP sets. It's gorgeous, and does 120 hz. One of the reasons I got it was the 3D Ready capability. I also have several PCs ( two relatively fast ones ), but none set up in my home theater near the TV. I also have a Samsung bdp-1600 Blu Ray player, if that matters for 3d movies.

I am also a game developer who is interested in adding 3d stereo support to my game Ancient Galaxy, which is coming out this week ( but without testing stereo support ).

Right now I am interested in 3d stereo Movie content, and 3d stereo gaming.

So, which glasses do I get? The tridef ones? Do I really need a PC hooked up to my Samsung just to watch 3d dvd or blu ray?

Is it worth it to hook up a PC or should I wait for xbox/ps3/wii to support stereo gaming?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Got my 3D Ready DLP, Now what?

Post by BlackShark »

Hi and welcome,

For now there is no content available on console or blu-ray, it's coming but not available yet. So your only solution at the moment is to connect a PC. Your will have to configure your pc to use some resolutions which should be specified in the TV manual. If you want to have some content, i highly encourage you to use a PC since the gaming content is widely available (most current PC games already work with 3D drivers), whereas console support will only come on a game by game basis and only for new games (it must be native support, there won't be drivers like on PCs to make previous games compatible)

You'll need shutter glasses, you can use any type of shutter glasses which uses the standard 3D-sync plug which connects at the back of your TV. These include the new nvidia 3Dvision glasses, the samsung glasses, and maybe more but i don't know enough about all the different brands of shutter glasses.

For gaming, you have the most choice, you can use the 3 most used 3D drivers : the nvidia driver (nvidia graphics card only + windows vista only at the moment), the iZ3D driver (nvidia and ati graphics cards, windows xp and vista 32&64bits, DirectX games only), and the DDD Tridef driver. And finally, since you are a developper, native 3D support in your game is possible using both interlaced 3D and DLP3D checkerboard output.

For movies, all you need is a video player that supports interlaced 3D or DLP3D checkerboard output, DDD provides one with the samsung glasses, Peter Wimmer's stereoscopic player also supports it, i'm not sure about the nvidia player, i know it's a special licensed version of Peter wimmer's player but i don't know if it supports your screen.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, if you want to take advantage of the 3D capabilities of your screen you will have to hook up a PC to it. Console support is in the works but nothing is available at the moment. You'd probably be fine with the TriDef glasses to start with although you might be interested in using the IZ3D driver with it. For 3D movies you will have to purchase a copy of the Stereoscopic Player and use that with your PC, a Blu-Ray player won't cut it. More 3D support is coming, you just have to sit tight.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Im soon getting the samsung plasma and am looking for compatable glasses. I have xforce wired but they dont have the din3 connector. Is there a way to wire a din3 plug to the stereo plug and use them for testing?

Would this dongle http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/wiirinvitr3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and some elsa glasses work ok?

They also sell this http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/dlphd3dtrfid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for dlp sets but it looks exactly the same and costs a bucket more.

This fellow suggests that the io glasses are superior to the sunsungs for ghosting too. http://www.bedfordbraces.com/reviews/sa ... eview4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”