Valve/HL2-source engine and VAC - ban

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
da_giz
Two Eyed Hopeful

Valve/HL2-source engine and VAC - ban

Post by da_giz »

Hi ,

I know it might not be the right topic but I couldn't find a better one to post it. Admin please move thread to better topic if available.

I have a question regarding all the games on Valves Source-engine running on servers that are secured with VAC.

It seems all the Source Engine games work pretty well in 3D-stereo, I only played Counterstrike-Source in 3D but I guess it is the same for all of these games.

The 3D effects look great, the only problem I had was to get the crosshair focused on the depth of the target to avoid seeing 2 crosshairs when focusing on the target.
With the Dragon 3D Stereo Utility provided here in the download section I was able to solve that problem and it works just fine now.
It creates a custom crosshair that focuses on the target, perfect! Good job on that! (works also great on Battlefield 2 :wink: )

My big question now is, is it possible that you will get banned for that on Valves Anti Cheat programm VAC?
Does anyone have any experience with that?
I know they don't ban you right away, it takes some time.

I just don't want to take the risk of having to buy all the games again.

Will it be considered a cheat? Because there are some guns in the game that normally don't feature a crosshair when not zoomed.
But with this program you will get a crosshair even then when you are not supposed to have one.
Also I guess the Dragon 3D Stereo Utility accesses the game data and modifies it, which is pretty much what some cheats would do.

Would be great if anyone has an answer on that that is based on knowledge :D

Thanks
da_giz
Apocalyps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Apocalyps »

Hi there,

Wel I play CS:S with 3D on and they crosshair from the drivers (because de dragon tool thingy only actives some Nvidia drivers setting) So my guess is: no it doesn't change any game data, only adds something to render on top.

Anyway, I've never been banned from any VAC secure server.
(gotta admit though, it's easyer in 3D with the crosshair... aim is better -> my score is better lol)
da_giz
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by da_giz »

Hey Apocalyps,

thanks for the answer! Still some questions for you.
Since when do you paly CS:S with these settings?

And second and more important, how did you turn on the nvidia crosshair?
Did not work for me, CS:S is not in the games list of my stereo driver and you can only mark "Crosshair for configured games".
How did you set it up that you get the crosshair in CS:S?
I would like that much better than with the dragon tool.

I use the nvidia stereo driver 93.81 with the 93.81 forceware.
Was not able to turn the crosshair on for CS:S and BF2.

thanks

(yeah playing in 3D is just the way to go, I hit much better with the Anti Tank rocket in BF2 in 3D :D )
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Vac makes no problems, but Punkbuster

in Bf2 it kick me from servers and says something about unalowed system drivers ore something so i better be carefull

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”