Is the purchase of an HD3D TV recommended yet?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Is the purchase of an HD3D TV recommended yet?

Post by winlonghorn »

Hello, I am fairly new to stereo 3D and I was wondering if now is the right time to purchase a television set capable of HD3D. I would like to be future proof with my new television purchase, but I want to make sure that the compatibility will be there for when 3D blu ray becomes reality. I appreciate any input on this matter. Thank you. :)
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Is the purchase of an HD3D TV recommended yet?

Post by koshien »

winlonghorn wrote:Hello, I am fairly new to stereo 3D and I was wondering if now is the right time to purchase a television set capable of HD3D. I would like to be future proof with my new television purchase, but I want to make sure that the compatibility will be there for when 3D blu ray becomes reality. I appreciate any input on this matter. Thank you. :)
If I were you, I would wait for Panasonic 3D TVs...they'll probably come out in less than a year and they will be 1080p per eye (it seems like you can't do that right now with hdmi 1.3... panasonic 3D TVs will probably have hdmi 1.4)... But if you want a tv immediately, I would buy a 3D-ready full-hd LED DLP (Samsung or Mitsubishi) or maybe a Mitsubishi 3D-ready laser tv, but it might be too expensive.
These TVs are 99% future proof since they are real 120 Hz TVs... but again, my advice is to wait less than a year and get a 60" plasma tv :D

Check this out: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3217
winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

Ok, I will strongly consider waiting for the Panasonic tvs then. I would prefer that it be 1080p per eye for sure. Would it also be the format for the 3D blu ray that they are creating? Also, is there any release timeframe during this year that they are slated for? I am anxious to bring 3D to my living room tv, but I want to make sure that I do it right as well. :) Also, any idea on the price and difference in picture quality of the 3D? The trouble is that having a budget does limit me somewhat, so I want to make sure that if I wait, I have a chance of affording it. :)
koshien

Post by koshien »

winlonghorn wrote:Ok, I will strongly consider waiting for the Panasonic tvs then. I would prefer that it be 1080p per eye for sure. Would it also be the format for the 3D blu ray that they are creating? Also, is there any release timeframe during this year that they are slated for? I am anxious to bring 3D to my living room tv, but I want to make sure that I do it right as well. :) Also, any idea on the price and difference in picture quality of the 3D? The trouble is that having a budget does limit me somewhat, so I want to make sure that if I wait, I have a chance of affording it. :)
Panasonic is trying to push its format with the Blu-ray Disc Association...it is very likely a standard will come out by the end of the year so that James Cameron's "Avatar" (in movie theaters on the 18th of December) will have a real 3D blu-ray edition. I wonder about the Monsters VS Aliens blu-ray release.... but it seems like a 3D blu-ray standard won't be ready by that time.
Anyways, nothing is scheduled yet, neither pana 3D Tvs, nor blu-ray standard... but still, it will likely be all set by the end of the year.
Panasonic TVs are usually not very expensive... last Xmas my father bought a 42" hd-ready pana plasma for my grandma and he paid it 600-700 euros. If you will have 2000$ to spend on it you'll probably have a big full-hd 3D tv.
3D movies are usually darker because of the glasses... but I guess there will be no problem with Panasonic's new technology (NEO-PDP, it should make displays look brighter) and with the newest xpand shutterglasses.
Just make sure to get a huge tv, or to stay very close to it while watching in 3D :)
p.s. You'll probably need a brand new blu-ray player in order to get 1080p per eye... it seems like hdmi 1.3 (ps3...), as I said, doesn't have enough bandwidth... With a ps3 and a 3D DLP you'll have checkerboard input, something similar to 1080i per eye.
snarfbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snarfbot »

ok, i did a little digging but couldnt come up with anything on this.

is it going to be integrated into the entire plasma lineup or just in the top tier models?
koshien

Post by koshien »

snarfbot wrote:ok, i did a little digging but couldnt come up with anything on this.

is it going to be integrated into the entire plasma lineup or just in the top tier models?
No one knows...
here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuQ8pXVCrXU

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”