3D monitors in 2D

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

3D monitors in 2D

Post by Rosomack »

Hi, I'm fairly new to the S3D concept and I'd really like to add another dimension to gaming, but after extensive reading I came to a conclusion that the only 3D solution that would satisfy me is a native 3D monitor.

I'd like to know about the image quality when not in 3D mode. I'm an IT student, so I usually do lots of work (or watch lots of movies :lol:) on my PC, plus I'm very picky when it comes to image quality (picture how I clean my flat panel 20 times before I remove all the fingerprints - you get the point :) ). So my question to both the Zalman and the iZ3D owners is - how does the 2D image look compared to 3D and to a typical modern LCD screen? Any differences? Something I should know about?

PS
Normally, I would just go to the store and see for myself, but since I live in eastern europe it would be very unlikely for me to stumble upon an iZ3D monitor. The Zalmans are also a rarity.
Last edited by Rosomack on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 3D monitors in 2D

Post by yuriythebest »

hi! I use an iz3d all the time for movies/tv shows and regular 2d stuff and it works petty well :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

I use the Zalman and its great in 2D, just a normal 2D screen :)
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

Thanks for the info :). If I decide to go 3D I think I'll go for the iZ3D (hate the idea of having a halved resolution in the zalman).

I may be going a little offtopic here, but how much did shipping to Ukraine cost Yuriy? Since I live in a neighboring country it would probably be a good estimate of the price I'll have to pay :).
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Rosomack wrote:Thanks for the info :). If I decide to go 3D I think I'll go for the iZ3D (hate the idea of having a halved resolution in the zalman).

I may be going a little offtopic here, but how much did shipping to Ukraine cost Yuriy? Since I live in a neighboring country it would probably be a good estimate of the price I'll have to pay :).
I'm probably not the best person to ask :)
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

yuriythebest wrote:
Rosomack wrote:Thanks for the info :). If I decide to go 3D I think I'll go for the iZ3D (hate the idea of having a halved resolution in the zalman).

I'm probably not the best person to ask :)
Bought it on Ebay? Won it in a contest?
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

rogerharris
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rogerharris »

Rosomack wrote:Hi, I'm fairly new to the S3D concept and I'd really like to add another dimension to gaming, but after extensive reading I came to a conclusion that the only 3D solution that would satisfy me is a native 3D monitor.

I'd like to know about the image quality when not in 3D mode. I'm an IT student, so I usually do lots of work (or watch lots of movies :lol:) on my PC, plus I'm very picky when it comes to image quality (picture how I clean my flat panel 20 times before I remove all the fingerprints - you get the point :) ). So my question to both the Zalman and the iZ3D owners is - how does the 2D image look compared to 3D and to a typical modern LCD screen? Any differences? Something I should know about?

PS
Normally, I would just go to the store and see for myself, but since I live in eastern europe it would be very unlikely for me to stumble upon an iZ3D monitor. The Zalmans are also a rarity.
I have 6 LCDs and a hitachi 21" CRT which was a basic standard for doing graphic design a while ago. I still reckon a top end large screen CRT is better than an LCD for top end graphic work. Even though the CRT is fuzzier, the colours are better for some reason i do not understand. Maybe its due to the sensory cortex of our brains being analog systems which operate on picking out emergent data from noise.

There was a digital/analouge debate that used to dominate music production in the 90's...with many musicians opting for obselete analoue gear.
FIRST RIG:
Nvidia 6200 grafix + Shutter glasses
Optoma EP719 projector
Hitachi 21" CRT + Fresnel
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

rogerharris wrote: I have 6 LCDs and a hitachi 21" CRT which was a basic standard for doing graphic design a while ago. I still reckon a top end large screen CRT is better than an LCD for top end graphic work. Even though the CRT is fuzzier, the colours are better for some reason i do not understand. Maybe its due to the sensory cortex of our brains being analog systems which operate on picking out emergent data from noise.

There was a digital/analouge debate that used to dominate music production in the 90's...with many musicians opting for obselete analoue gear.
What you said is true, the colours are better on a CRT screen than a regular LCD screen - due to the display technology involved (as an example - purple is far from perfect on an LCD screen). The new LCD screens with RGB LED backlighting are aimed to address this issue. These panels usually have a way better color palette than a regular LCD (don't know how this compares to a CRT screen though).
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

Ok, thanks for help everyone, I think I'll shell out for an iz3d. Shipment costs aren't such a problem it seems. I'll just wait till they start shipping these monitors with the new glasses.
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

Now that they are selling their monitors straight from iz3d for $329, I have a serious dilemma. I think I should wait till they start sending the new glasses bundled with the monitors (as I live abroad and I would have to pay extra for shipping if I were to buy them separately), but the offer is really tempting :) .

I realize that I can find one at a similar price on ebay, but the thing is - with a third-party retailer I can't be sure that the glasses bundled will be the new ones. I would probably be sure if I ordered the monitor straight from the iz3d site, but by the time they do start bundling the new glasses, the monitor price will probably have returned to "normal" - $400.

Uhh. So confusing... :| Suggestions, anyone?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Rosomack wrote:
Uhh. So confusing... :| Suggestions, anyone?

well, new glasses, I assume, will be 10$ (BlackQ/Dragon/Welder care to confirm?) so if you are going to buy several pairs + shipping it should be under 50$, so the question should be:

"am I willing to buy and enjoy the monitor now for $329 instead of waiting an unknown amount of time (several months minimum), and spend around 50$ later"

OR

"wait (several months minimum) and buy the monitor at (unknownPrice) with new glasses included"
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

yuriythebest wrote: "wait (several months minimum) and buy the monitor at (unknownPrice) with new glasses included"
Well, if you put it that way buying the monitor now does seem like a good idea... :P
Seems pretty obvious now that you pointed it out (less speculation, more facts :D )
And for me it's additionally 6-7 weeks for shipment, which pretty much wraps the whole idea of waiting up.
If I waited I'd just go crazy from anticipation :D.

Great then, it's settled, I'll most likely order it before the "website" offer expires.

Thanks for the help again Yuriy :mrgreen:

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”