Hello!! - Introducing myself & my 3D rig

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
foxpup
One Eyed Hopeful

Hello!! - Introducing myself & my 3D rig

Post by foxpup »

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in 3D for some time but only recently put together a rig to enjoy it. Here are the main components.

(1) InFocus 800x600 DLP projectors (quantity 2) (got those for free from my employer - this is what started it all)
(2) a few square feet of polarizing film that I got cheaply (filtering the light from each projector - 90 degrees opposite)
(3) a bunch of polarizing 3D glasses (linear polarized at 90 degrees from each other and at 45 degrees from horizontal)
(4) intel Q9300 (2.5 GHz intel quad core processor) home video computer with 2 double headed low end NVidea cards (GeForce 8400GS)
(5) 8 foot wide Da-Lite silver screen to keep the light polarized when projected. (biggest 3D-only expense in this project but high quality)
(6) audio system that packs a wallop.

So far I have managed to view and enjoy the 3D videos at http://www.3dsession.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and other places using stereoscopic player. It seems to work rather well but I'm wondering if it is the best player out there. Its kind of pricey and I'd hate to throw money away if there was something of good quality that was much cheaper or free.

Also I'd like to hear any opinions on what I should do next with my rig. I like 3D 1st person shoot-em up games but I'm on a tight budget. I live in a family setting and have 4 kids that I want to have enjoy my set up too (ages 6-10). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Questions are cool too.

I also have a matched pair of 2 Megapixel canon digital cameras that can do video at 320x240 video (may be too low of resolution to make decent 3D movies)

Best to you all.

Foxpup :D
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Hello!! - Introducing myself & my 3D rig

Post by Neil »

Welcome to the community!

I am envious of your setup!

Your first step is to get a mid-range graphics card. Could be ATI or NVIDIA. Our members can recommend a good driver solution. A lot of people here enjoy dual projector setups.

Regards,
Neil
foxpup
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by foxpup »

Neil,

It must be the screen then? (that is causing your envy?) Its certainly the priciest piece of equipment involved (ignoring the home theater PC and sound system). (Worth every penny) I suppose that a better card would help, but my video isn't choppy. I'm sure that modern gaming would make things different. Right now my family is known for playing ancient games like Unreal and Unreal Tournament network games. Old cheesy games still have appeal in my household. For instance, I think my old SEGA Genesis gets about as much action as the Nintendo Wii. 3D gaming would be cool if I can keep it cheap, I'm mostly interested in 3D video (viewing and making).

When I'm working on a project I am always looking for that sweet spot where my setup can do everything I want it to, but not end up spending much $. ( I know, I might as well be looking for the holy grail while I'm looking for the impossible.)

Mainly I'm trying to figure out what to use as video player software. Am I throwing money down a well if I buy stereoscopic player? I find the 5 minute limit too limiting.

Thanx. :-)
foxpup
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by foxpup »

Neil,

I just read your signature. Its hilarious!!! :D :D :D Everyone needs a good laugh every now and then.

Wonderful!!!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Hi :D

Stereoscopic Player (http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is worth every dollar I think. You can stretch the window bigger in 2D, switch on 3D and watch (I use Nvidia's old 3D driver though).
sharky

Post by sharky »

nice setup!

some hints to improve GREATLY the quality in the future:

change to lcd projectors
get some spar filters.
change to a hurley or trivision screen

it costs quite a lot to make this upgrades so one step at the time.. ;) but the quality of this can be compared to the 3D cinema with almost no ghosting.

have fun and welcome to the 3D world! :D

in the general stereoscopic discussion forums yu can find a sticky silverscreen review.

and dont forget to join NAW! (http://www.mtbs3d.com/naw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

cu

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

rikun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rikun »

Has anyone tried the "new" Da-lite Virtual Grey silver fabric? It should be very good..
sharky

Post by sharky »

yes, i tried it. but i am not allowed to say the results.. the only thing i can say is that those in the review are very good.. (who wants to understand understands.. :lol: )
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi foxpup and welcome!
I'm also enjoying a passive polarized rig since a few years ago. Once tried there's no way back to some other solution. At least not yet. :mrgreen:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hi, welcome foxpup. Sounds like you have a nice setup. To play modern games you may want to get a newer video card and try the iz3d driver. Also the stereoscopic player is very good and well worth the price. Hope that helps. Stick around.
winch8
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winch8 »

frankly i don't really think you need two projectors for a 3d stereo rig, one dlp projector capable of 1024x768 85hz and shutter glasses like nvidia ones or samsung or edimensional are more than enough fo page flipping.
85hz gives only a slight flickering, there is no reason to buy two projectors and all the rest for a polarized sistem that would give just some more refresh rate, consider that *100hz* is eoungh for no flickering not 120!! 85hz is very near to 100hz
bye bye
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Foxpup!

Glad you like my signature!

There are a bunch of them. We have an excellent graphics designer named Sir C who put a lot of time into them. If you have caption ideas or anything for the site, let us know.

Feel free to use a signature for yourself. We are hopeful members will use them on other sites to help draw attention to what we are doing. There is a link to the signature thread at the bottom of my message.

Regards,
Neil
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by chrisjarram »

It's only a forum people, lets try not to get carried away! :)
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

chrisjarram wrote:It's only a forum people, lets try not to get carried away! :)
I'd say this is much more than just a forum- it's an advocacy group, a movement dedicated to changing the world and bringing 3d to every home, *goes on long inspirational rant*
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

yuriythebest wrote:
chrisjarram wrote:It's only a forum people, lets try not to get carried away! :)
I'd say this is much more than just a forum- it's an advocacy group, a movement dedicated to changing the world and bringing 3d to every home, *goes on long inspirational rant*
Yeah, its a way of life. Plus NAW makes it more than *just* a forum.
AlphaOne
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Hello!! - Introducing myself & my "NON" 3D rig

Post by AlphaOne »

Hello all, just intro myself and my "NON" 3D Rig - however I am hoping to get it 3D in the following months.

Windows: Windows VISTA x64 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer: 7.0.6001.18000
Memory (RAM): 4094 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
CPU Speed: 3166.7 MHz
Sound card: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated D
Display Adapters: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 | ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1680 X 1050 - 32 bit
Case: Antec 900
Power Supply: Thermaltake 1200w
Network Adapters: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
CD / DVD Drives: G: EZBSYS ISO CDVD DRIVE | H: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-H10N
Mouse: Logitech G9 - 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Hard Disks: C: 232.9GB | D: 698.6GB | E: 232.9GB | F: 298.1GB | G: 1TB
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Time Zone: W. Australia Standard Time
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N32-E SLI
----=|@lph@One|=----
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome! :D

Nice rig! Do you have the iz3d drivers in mind for testing? It looks like you're having a planar rig in mind.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”