Oblivion setting question

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Oblivion setting question

Post by johnoliver »

Hi,
I just played Oblivion in S-3D with my Z800 visor that just arrived, it wasn't working until I found the thread that I have to disable my dual core.~ looks amazing, but not as impressive as Painkiller that I tested, which has real depth in the game.

So I am just wondering what's the best setting to use? I looked at other game set-up threads, and it seems to be if the "bloom" and "shadow" effect...etc are disabled, the S-3d will look better?
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by johnoliver »

and how about "antialiasing" and "HDR" effect?
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

I have bloom and some shadowing while in 3D. I can't enable too many shadows as it take a big hit on my system right now. I have tree canopy shadows on, self off, grass off, and the general shadow setting set on low.

HDR won't work at all.
Isei
One Eyed Hopeful

Oblivion settings

Post by Isei »

To get "real" deep 3d with oblivion you have to go to
My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini

set bDoImageSpaceEffects=0

I don't think Bloom or HDR will work at all after you set this.

also check out this thread, http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=210
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by johnoliver »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have set bedoimage to 0 as I read the long 13 pages disscussion on the stereovision forum, and it's just that I didn't see a big difference between 2d and 3d in this particular game.(or is it because I am still in the dungeon and now outside in the forest?! :roll: )

~right now I am running everything at its highest video setting: bloom, shadow, grass, tree detal, distance ...etc and everything seems to be alright on my new upgraded pc:
core 2 E6400, 2gb ram, + nvidia 7600 gs 512mb
(and i guess it runs smooth because I am using 800x600 resolution...as it's the max for Z800 visor)

~and how about the antialiasing setting?

~thx for your suggestion!
Isei
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isei »

After changing the Oblivion.ini stereo3d looks very deep and nice no matter what in-game settings I use. It's one of the best stereo games I've tried.

Bloom/No bloom doesn't seem to make any visual difference. Anti-aliasing makes my PC lag very badly in stereo so I don't use that, it does not change the stereo effect though.

I use about 60% separation, pretty high convergence, weapon is at screen depth or so. This is with shutterglasses and a 24" CRT monitor, the effect is probably very different with z800.
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by johnoliver »

I see, I set mine to only 10% separation...i guess I should try changing it. also any difference between separation and convergence?! and the thing you do with the CTL+F3 & CTL+f4 ; also the CTL+F5 & CTL+F6 hotkey combos?
Isei
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isei »

Separation will make the image look more 'deep', convergence will move the game 'inside' or 'outside' the monitor(ctrl f5 and f6). I recommend setting separation (using ctrl f3 and f4), as high as possible without causing too much strain on your eyes. For me, the best 3d effect with Oblivion is with high separation and convergence.

Example: when I focus on the world around my character, the weapon I'm holding will be separated.. And when I focus on the weapon I'm holding I can't see the world around me because the difference in depth is too great. This feels pretty realistic, sort of like in real life.

Now I'm not sure how these things work with z800 because the method for stereovision is different than with shutterglasses. You will have to experiment with ctrl f4-f5 and f5-f6 to find settings that look good.

Good luck~
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

johnoliver wrote:...and it's just that I didn't see a big difference between 2d and 3d in this particular game.
I had the same trouble. Try this:
1. Hold down Ctrl+F4 in 30 sec (= max seperation).
2. Hold down Ctrl+F5 in 30 sec (= zero convergence).
3. Hold down Ctrl+F6 in 30 sec (= max convergence).
4. Hold down Ctrl+F3 in 30 sec (= zero seperation).
5. Tab Ctrl+F4 6 times (giving You 6% seperation).
6. walk Your character up to an object 0.5 meters away in the game.
6. Use Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 to adjust so that the object 0.5 meters away from Your character "are aligned as an single object" or just adjust to Your liking.
7. Hit Ctrl+F7 to save setting.
I find this gives me the best possible real 3D. And it's awesome.
I use bloom and antialias.

And watch out for this fella :) :

ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohgrant »

Thanks for the detailed instructions Freke1, I just got a Z800 myself and was setting up my games the other day to find the same problem with Oblivion. I shall give that a try.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”