Here is my hardware; will it work?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
kashwashwa
One Eyed Hopeful

Here is my hardware; will it work?

Post by kashwashwa »

About 6 years ago I had a set of e-dimensional glasses which I used for awhile, and ended up selling. I used them with with a really old geforce video card, and a CRT monitor, with decent success.

Now, I'm interested in it again, but am not sure what my options are considering the hardware I have.

My video card is an ATI 4850.
Monitor: Dell 2005FPW
TV: Westinghouse 32" LCD HDTV (32W6)

By the looks of things, neither my TV or monitor can display 3d games, due to refresh rate being too low?

Do the edimensional glasses work well with ATI video cards?
And would it be possible to use edimensional glasses with a monitor running at 60hz?
Wouldn't it just mean the game runs at 30fps? That sounds ok to me, but in practice, I obviously don't know what it would actually look like.

Thanks!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Here is my hardware; will it work?

Post by yuriythebest »

right- the fact you have an ATI card means you can't use the nvidia 3d vision shutters/drivers
As far as I'm aware that LCD probably won't work if you are sure it's not some super new 100-120hz refresh rate monitor
do you already own the edimensional glasses?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hi! please don't cross post I replied to your thread on the other forum
kashwashwa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kashwashwa »

Perhaps you have my topic confused with another one? I only posted one thread.

No, I do not already have the edimensional glasses.
I kind of thought it might be possible to use them simply running at 30hz/eye, but like I said I've never experienced that before, so I suppose it's safe to assume it's unplayable like that...
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hI! sorry about the cross posting thing I think I accidentally opened your thread twice so thought it was a double post- silly me.

I can only speak from experience- so while using shutterglasses on a 60-75hz CRT monitor is possible, LCD's behave differently- most people, including me who have tried using the edimensional glasses on LCD's have failed miserably, just getting a 'mess' on the screen. I ended up getting a used 100hz CRT to use the edimensional glasses. But atm there are no usable modern drivers for the edimensional glasses unless you are using a DLP solution- then it can actually work using the iz3d drivers, otherwise I wouldn't recommend getting them unless you are content with using the edimensional "very old" drivers or the new iz3d drivers that have sync issues. In other words atm it's more trouble than it's worth- perhaps in the future better drivers will be released. I'd suggest another 3d viewing solution like the nvidia 3d-vision or IZ3d.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You are right in your assumption, your monitors are not made for 3d. You need either a dedicated 3d monitor like iz3d or the new 120Hz monitor that works with the Nvidia 3d vision. Currently there are not really any solutions that work with standard LCD screens.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”