Hello! New to the forum, have a Q about S3D and E-D glasses

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
anibanani
One Eyed Hopeful

Hello! New to the forum, have a Q about S3D and E-D glasses

Post by anibanani »

Hello!

I'm new here, discovered this forum today and what a great forum :D

I hope someone can help me out here, i've read alot of the posts around this forum but i can't draw any conclusion to my question from what i've read.

I'm not new to S3D, i used to game alot a few years ago when you had to use outdated drivers and so on. But as fun as it was, i gave up gaming as my computer got more and more outdated, and the whole S3D technology just seemed to have been left for dead by Nvidia. But now i'm doing a comeback in the S3D world as i just ordered a fresh new computer :D It has a Nvidia GTX260 GPU, so i want to use the new Nvidia stereo drivers for this. But the problem is that i can't get those new glasses from Nvidia where i live (Norway). And tbh i don't want to either since i think they're so overpriced, and i still got my old E-Dimensional glasses lying about. I'm still using an old CRT monitor, but it's a good one that can do better than 120hz.

So my question is this: Will the new stereo drivers from Nvidia work out with my CRT screen and E-Dimensional glasses?
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Hello! New to the forum, have a Q about S3D and E-D glasses

Post by chrisjarram »

The new drivers _will_ work with eDims and a CRT, but currently you DO need to own the 3dvision glasses as the shutter mode cannot be enabled unless the GeForce 3dvision dongle is plugged in (at which time, you can plug in your normal vga edim dongle also and this will work fine). Another solution is to use the iz3d driver in marked shutter mode, for which you will need a RealD Stereo Enabler - this is ok as you are using a single screen and have a high end graphics card.

I am in the UK and opted to have the 3dvision imported anyway, I really do think from what I have seen that it is worth the money at this time.
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

the problem (atm) with the iz3d drivers is that your FPS has to be higher than your refresh rate or your glasses will go out of sync- iz3d is working to fix this, so atm a CRT+shutterglasses solution isn't feasible- better go the good way and save up for an iz3d monitor or indeed the nvidia glasses.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
anibanani
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by anibanani »

chrisjarram wrote:The new drivers _will_ work with eDims and a CRT, but currently you DO need to own the 3dvision glasses as the shutter mode cannot be enabled unless the GeForce 3dvision dongle is plugged in (at which time, you can plug in your normal vga edim dongle also and this will work fine). Another solution is to use the iz3d driver in marked shutter mode, for which you will need a RealD Stereo Enabler - this is ok as you are using a single screen and have a high end graphics card.

I am in the UK and opted to have the 3dvision imported anyway, I really do think from what I have seen that it is worth the money at this time.

I see.. that really sucks :? Maybe i'll import them too, but which store can ship them to Europe? How much did it cost you in total with shipment etc?

For those iz3d drivers, do i need one of their monitors to get it working?
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

yuriythebest wrote:the problem (atm) with the iz3d drivers is that your FPS has to be higher than your refresh rate or your glasses will go out of sync- iz3d is working to fix this, so atm a CRT+shutterglasses solution isn't feasible- better go the good way and save up for an iz3d monitor or indeed the nvidia glasses.
Yuriy - you surprise me given you yourself have reviewed iz3d products and are so active in these forums - read the whole thread before you post! (in this thread there was only one other post, mine!) ;)

The sync problem is _not_ an issue with the stereographics stereo enabler, and you have frequently posted on threads where this has been discussed. A CRT+shutterglasses solution without using 3dVision is 100% feasible.. I know.. I use it with no problems, and so do a number of others.

You do need wireless eDims for this though as the stereoenabler outputs a 5v VESA square wave which is compatiable with the eDimensional IR emitter.
Last edited by chrisjarram on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

anibanani wrote:
chrisjarram wrote:The new drivers _will_ work with eDims and a CRT, but currently you DO need to own the 3dvision glasses as the shutter mode cannot be enabled unless the GeForce 3dvision dongle is plugged in (at which time, you can plug in your normal vga edim dongle also and this will work fine). Another solution is to use the iz3d driver in marked shutter mode, for which you will need a RealD Stereo Enabler - this is ok as you are using a single screen and have a high end graphics card.

I see.. that really sucks :? Maybe i'll import them too, but which store can ship them to Europe? How much did it cost you in total with shipment etc?

For those iz3d drivers, do i need one of their monitors to get it working?
No, you can use the iz3d drivers with shutters and CRTs. Get a stereographics stereo enabler (under $90) if you want to do this. Inition in the UK sell these also. This solution works 100% and will have no problems whatsoever if you have the kind of machine you say you do.

Chris.
anibanani
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by anibanani »

Ok let me see if i got it straight, if i want to use Nvidia drivers, i must have their googles, no way around. And if i want to use iz3d drivers, i must have a stereo enabler. Right?
If the stereo enabler cost 80-90$ anyways, i think i will go for the Nvidia googles.

This is how i got it by now: the iz3d setup seems to be a very good alternative, but the Nvidia setup tend to have less bugs, ghosting and take better advantage of the GPU and CPU? I may be waaay off here, so please correct me if i'm wrong. I've only been on this forum a day, and i didn't even knew iz3d existed before today :) So i'm trying to learn as much as possible here. As far as i get it, iz3d is great if you have an ATi graphic card, and the only alternative you have as well. If you have a Nvidia card, it's best to stick with their googles and drivers for the best performance and drivers. I may be very wrong here.

I think i'll go for Nvidia's googles, but will i have any problems with my CRT screen when using those glasses?

Have never bought anything from the states before, so don't have a clue about what stores that are good and so on.
I found them on Compusa and Tigerdirect. I couldn't find any information on how much they will charge me for shipping them to Norway, does anyone know roughly how much it would be?

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”