Nvidia 3D Vision Bundle Review ...and Personal Experiance.

Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Nvidia 3D Vision Bundle Review ...and Personal Experiance.

Post by Recostar »

I ordered the Nvidia 3D vision Bundle ( Monitor + glasses) Jan/27/09/ around 4:36 pm. It arrived Jan/30/09 at 3:45 pm. It was shipped from Huston Texas. I was really surprised how fast shipping was actually more like astonished . It came 3 days after placing my order. I was expecting to wait at least a week and a half. It was shipped by fed-ex.

So Friday comes I get home from work and to my surprise there's this box shaped like a 22 monitor could be inside it and another little box sitting on the counter. That's when I think I gave the biggest smile I ever had in my life :D <----- even more then this guy !!. My wife was sitting at the table but to my surprise she had no smile (I wasn't surprised.Figures). Also she was flipping the little box around in what I can think was an attempt to " Find " The price tag. " Honey, don't worry.It was cheap" ... ..I lied. Obviously she would kill me if I told her it cost me 900 for the thing.Jeesh I actually got scared there for a moment. Ok so I rush everything down stairs and grab an exacto knife and slowly open up each box as if I was performing some kind of life or death surgery on them to wares one wrong swipe and the product was a goner. My wife was amused.. Carefully removing the out side box then gasping at the the little 3D ready logo . I was exited to say the least. I had a little trouble trying to get the stand to fit into the bottom part of the monitor. It was a really tight fit. The rest of the setup procedure was really easy, basically it was , plug this here and plug that there kinda thing..Easy. So everything all setup and ready to go so lets me just jump into the review part.....LOL..Scared yet !!.

The first game I played was Fallout 3. My separation was set to default 15%. The game instantly pulled me into the world. I didn't even realize at that point that I was only at 15% depth. I was in a trance like state .Amazed just walking around looking at the common background that I've been so familiar with as if I was seeing it for the first time. " Wide eyed " . That's what my wife said I was. Of course she immediately grabbed the Glasses off my head and put them on. Now that was strange to see . Looks like I infected her with geek . For a none gamer she was even impressed. The Game itself had changed yet stayed the same. It was a great experience. I found my self running back to earlier parts of the game just to see what they would look like in 3D. The Fallout world really gives you the feeling of being in a postapocaliptic environment. There was little to no " POP " out. But it wasn't really missed. It was the depth that drew me in. Things now have form to them. The grass and the surroundings appeared to be life like . I did notice that something seemed that it was a little off . Something wasn't right . I started to fiddle with the Convergence. After about 20 mins of tinkering I was able to figure out the best convergence settings for the game. It makes a huge difference when you do this. Everything lines up properly and now your really experiencing the environment.

My major concerns before making the purchase was Ghosting. I didn't want to buy any 3D product if I was seeing double images all the time. Im glad to report that fallout 3 with Nvidias 3D vision has next to no ghosting. After adjusting some convergence settings the fallout world was just "Amazing ". I did try to increase the depth to 50%. I know its a big increase from just 15% but I had to try it. Right away I had to tinker with the convergence again. It seemed that the separation points had increased and I had to readjust things again for that depth. When everything was setup that's when I started to see that I only scratched the surface of what to expect from 3D gaming. For someone that's new to 3D 15% was amazing 50% puts you living in the game.I can't even imagine 100% At this point IM going to get used to 15% then IM going to move up to 35% and up in increments of 15% till I get used to it. That's one thing that you have to realize that it took me time to understand to . You have to adjust to the 3D. It takes time. If you go from 15% straight to 100% or even 50% your going to be overwhelmed and because your not used to 3D your brains not going to adjust things accordingly and the image isn't going to come out looking right. Give it time. PLay at 15% and when your comfortable move up in increments of 5-15 %.

My final thoughts

This was a great purchase. I am extremely happy with the speed of the delivery the easy setup and the preconfigure profile settings Nvidia recommends to get the best 3D experience out of each game. For me it was a little pricey . Its 599 .99 on Nvidias website but for Canadians after exchange and shipping its actually around 900. I am new to 3D,as mentioned before and Im just walking into the 3D door and have only just begun to fully understand what this type of product is . For now all I can say that there are moments in the game that words can not describe.

I've been playing Video games back since commodore 64 was around and have been there threw all the gimmicks of every console you can think of.. This is no gimmick. I made the right choice in purchasing Nvidias 3D Vision bundle. I can see now even why they named it 3D VISION . It is a Vision. One for all of us to hopefully one day experience. There has been so many years of trials and failures with the 3D gaming industry that we have just now finally hit Everest. The technology to perfect it and make it seamlessly easy to be apart of is here now. Im truly one very happy camper..

Thanks go's out for those who took the time to read this review/personal experience with The 3D Vision bundle.

If you enjoyed it I will gladly make updates and more intensive reviews of individual games . I have a limited number of games .I do want to post my thoughts on Assassins Creed. I found it to be one of my favorite 3D game experiences of them all.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Bundle Review ...and Personal Experiance.

Post by pixel67 »

Congrats on your new purchase! Sounds like you were smiling more like this guy! :mrgreen:

Good to see the conversion of a 2D Gamer! One down, millions to go!
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

What's the name of the monitor in that bundle?
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Congratulations on your recent purchase. Another happy 3D camper.
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by johnoliver »

glad to hear that another fellow Canadian joined the 3D world :D

~I am getting my classes from NCIX it's 239.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36080

& too bad to hear about the currency conversion news, it's sad for Canadians :cry:

I have the 61'' Samsung 3D-DLP tv, which would work with the glasses according to other members' reviews :)

If you are interested, you should be able to get one of thoes TV from Costco(either online or in-store), or Visions(just in store), the price was around 2000 CND (after tax) when I purchased, think it should have gone done now(again, it is much cheaper on the US Amazon site compares to Canada...)
GPU: nVIDIA 8800GT 512MB
PSU: Corsair 550W
RAM: 2GB
CPU: Intel Core 2, 2.13 GHz
Display: 61'' Samsung 3D-Ready LED DLP TV (HL61A750) + 22'' Samsung 2233rz for PC
Glasses: Nvidia 3D Vision kit
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hi! glad to hear about your positive experiences. keep in mind that more separation isn't always good- you have to find the amount where it gives the most 3d yet is still 'easy' to watch.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Post by Recostar »

Tril
What's the name of the monitor in that bundle?
Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ 120Hz LCD display
johnoliver
too bad to hear about the currency conversion news, it's sad for Canadians

After Tax and conversion it was 924.00 to be exatc. Not a very cheap way to get you 3D on. Im just glad it turned out to be such a worth while purchase. It must look just amazing on a 60" TV. I would love to have that kind of setup.For now I'll have to do with my 22" . I just got my wife liking it so who knows it might give me the leverage later on to be able to get one of these huge TVs.
distantreader
Cross Eyed!

Post by distantreader »

Congrats on the new toys. Good post of sharing your experience with the purchase. I'm also testing 3D Vision out with Windows 7 on a separate partition hoping to get a few more FPS on my aging rig by just adding couple more GB of RAM. So far the move to W7 is pretty painless. 3D Vision works with Windows 7 people!
Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Post by Recostar »

yuriythebest
hi! glad to hear about your positive experiences. keep in mind that more separation isn't always good- you have to find the amount where it gives the most 3d yet is still 'easy' to watch
Thanks for pointing this out for me.I was haveing a hard time trying to figure out why with some settings it was easyer to watch but hardly any 3D. In left 4 Dead i have it so the 3D effect is so strong im actually getting POP OUt. But its not all that easy to watch. There has to be a good medium here. Is there a guide that may give me more information about this Or is there any advice you can give me.

Thanks
Neil

Post by Neil »

You need to understand how the 3D experience works.

Here is a guide that works for both NVIDIA and iZ3D solutions:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newslette ... ews_id=44/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun!

Regards,
Neil
Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Post by Recostar »

You need to understand how the 3D experience works.

Here is a guide that works for both NVIDIA and iZ3D solutions:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newslette" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ews_id=44/

Have fun!

Regards,
Thank you for the link Niel.
Im going to read it threw and see if i can get some better results.

My review was more of my personal experiance with the product and what to expect from the 3D experiance. Its So others who are curious about 3D can have some insight on the type of effect it has on there gaming environment. There isent much of a technical aspect to this review but that was intended. Being new to 3D there wasent much info i could offer anyways. I see your looking for Reviews of this product your more then welcome to use mine and i would be happy to help you and your community members out anyway i can.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Recostar,

Read through the game reviews we have published so far. More are on the way shortly.

At MTBS, we purposely don't do official hardware reviews because we are an advocacy group, and I think it would put us in a conflict of interest. With the exception of giving strategic partners promotional benefits, we don't play favorites here.

However, game reviews are different entirely on condition that we don't review the display hardware that makes the game possible (e.g. ghosting, color balance, etc.). We want to motivate game developers to implement proper S-3D support and set gamer expectations from their favorite driver solution.

Read through our game reviews from the front page, and see what you think. This is the kind of content we are after.

Regards,
Neil
Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Post by Recostar »

exilant guide Neil very informative.
I see now that the reviews are for 3D advocacy and not product advocacy. I completely understand and will keep that in mind.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”