Acre 3D Monitor - NO GLASSES NEEDED!

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
Relaxndivs
One Eyed Hopeful

Acre 3D Monitor - NO GLASSES NEEDED!

Post by Relaxndivs »

Hi. I haven’t seen anyone posting about this online anywhere yet. I’m kind of surprised because in my opinion it’s one of the best things to happen to the industry in a long time. We all know people can be sceptical of 3D technology but this … let me tell you… this is what we have been waiting for. Please see my initial impressions below. Ps. I have returned to the MTBS3D forums after several years. I was here during the development of the Oculus dev kits, had them all, became obsessed with VR for the last decade… but now.. things are changing.

https://www.acer.com/us-en/monitors/spatiallabs

I just got my Acer 3D monitor yesterday and I used it for 9 hours straight!

First impressions: This is game a game changer. I am personally kind of tired of putting on heavy bulky VR headsets. It's taken lots out of me over these past few years to always have the best VR hardware, and to make sure I get consistent use out of it.

Even with the best VR hardware money can buy, it's still a bit of a hassle to set up and use.

Enter Acer's 3D display. The best part is that NO glasses are required to see the 3d effect. You just look at it and it works.

If you've ever tried NVIDIA's 3D vision - this is basically exactly like that except you don't need ANY glasses or special hardware (aside from the screen itself of course).

How's the experience ?

Well I don't see much of a reason to put on my VR headset anytime soon. I can actually play whatever game I want now in perfect 3D and I personally found the experience to be just as immersive as VR. Even though the image wasn't taking up my entire field of view like VR, it didn't really matter.

The 3D is pretty damn good on this thing. I wish there was a setting to control the convergence but other than that, I can't believe some of the things I saw yesterday during my gaming marathon. It changes the gaming experience completely for me, somehow my brain finds the gaming world easier to understand and navigate. It heightens my sensory stim and increases immersion and enjoyment. I just love looking at things, even the most basic textures like in Spyro for example, would POP and really look interesting. I would find myself just stopping and staring at the most mundane things like a wall or the grass. It's one of those things you have to try for yourself to believe, just like VR.

There is minor ghosting, depending on the title and how far you separate the stereo images, but I found keeping it at 20-30% is pretty optimal and results in a clean image.

Yes things actually do pop right out of the screen and I'm talking feet. It's unreal to see objects hovering over your desk in front of you… with NO glasses or bulky VR headset sitting on your face…

I had to check a couple times that I wasn't wearing glasses, such a surreal feeling ! My eyes did get tired after about 7-8 hours but that's probably to be expected on a 2D screen as well. I can't remember the last time I sat down and played games for that long. It was quite enjoyable. And again, you can play ANY game you want in full 3D. It doesn't have to be made for it like certain VR titles are. So it opens up a whole new range of gaming possibilities.

3D vision was what got me into VR back in the day. And it looks like we could be moving toward a passive, no glasses required 3D future in our displays. I really mean this, after playing games this way I don't want to go back to playing games on a traditional 2D screen anymore. And this is coming from a Samsung G8 user. 3D gaming needs this. People are severely underestimating this technology and how it's going to transform the industry.

What does it look like? It looks better than you are thinking. FULL 3D in 4K right in front of you with no glasses is a SIGHT to behold. It basically looks like looking into a window into another world.

I don't want it to seem like I am trying to sell this thing, I am not. I just really love the technology and I truly see this as the "next level" of gaming and display technology. The 3D affect doesn't need to be cranked for it to be extremely effective. The only downsides of this particular device are; it's size. 15.6" UHD (3840 x 2160) Display (2K per eye in 3D mode) is actually not too bad when you're sitting in front of it. The 3D mode really 'opens' up the world so it feels like the screen is allot bigger than it is, but you can't help but wish for a 21" or 27" version. After using this I thought to myself I would instantly buy bigger version if they were available.

The only other downside I see is that only one person can use the 3D mode at a time. Which, okay it's not a big deal for a device like this. I just wonder how the heck they're going to implement it into bigger screens for multiple people if it takes two cameras to track a single persons eyes. We're talking some tricky problems to solve. But that said I'm confident within the next few years this is the way people will be enjoying their gaming content.

There's a very cool 3d model viewer that comes with the software and this thing literally tracks your head. You can load up a model and literally move your head around, looking around the sides or top or bottom of the model, and the perspective changes accordingly. It's like looking at a hologram just floating right in front of you. These things literally POP out of the screen. It's very cool. The level of detail you see when viewing this kind of information in 3D is absolutely mind blowing.

RTX 4090 + this screen and you will understand. Excuse me while I go back to gaming. EDIT: The 30ms response time did not even bother me a single moment during gaming yesterday. Didn't notice it! As long as you have the hardware to power this thing and you get a nice consistent 60FPS the experience is awesome.

And oh boy let me say, the experience of Ray tracing + DLSS + passive 3D is totally and utterly surreal. Portal RTX oh my god. The lighting. You really see the power of what ray tracing can do when it's in 3D. Yes I had to turn down the settings to high and DLSS to performance to get it playable on my 4090. But... my god. Next level.

PS. Anyone want to buy an Aero ?
3dteevee2022
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Acre 3D Monitor - NO GLASSES NEEDED!

Post by 3dteevee2022 »

Hi. How do you activate the 3D? 3D vision requires a profile per game. Does the 3D automatically work and can you turn it off for 2D content? Does it need any kind of software or drivers?

Return to “3D Monitors”