Frame packing/sequential 3D on projector?

petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Frame packing/sequential 3D on projector?

Post by petermg »

Is there a way I can get full HD 3D going on my projector? I think the format would be called "Frame Sequential" or "Frame packing"? It's a BenQ HT2050. It's hooked up to my PC that has an RTX 3070. I can output it in SBS or TAB, but I'd like to be able to use the full HD resolution using the other methods but I don't know what to do? I've read about some people changing the EDID of their projectors to match a 3D Vision monitor, but also what mode does the output need to be set to? I've been using 3D Fix Manager which has all different kind of wrappers and fixes but maybe I also have some games that don't need fixes? I am still learning all of this. Please talk to me like I'm a stupid noob because I am. Thank you.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Frame packing/sequential 3D on projector?

Post by The_Nephilim »

man did you open a ball of wax.. most projectors will only do 1280x720 @120hz. I do believe it is also possible @1920x1080 @24hz tho which in most cases is unplayable..

maybe Geo-11 usage would be your best bet for playing games on the Projector..

The Projector itself would need to be capable of "Frame Sequential" to even consider getting an edid overide.. I had a optoma HD142 that I got working with an EDID Override and it only was @1280x720P@120hz.. I could have done 1080P but @24hz most games are unplayable that low..

Let me go find your DLP Manual and see what I can see. also there are a few 4K DLP PRojectors that can do 1920x1080@120hz but are pretty spendy if price is not a concern and you must game at 1080P.. ;)
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

it appears your Projector is 3D capable and here are the formats it can use: 3D Mode Auto/3D Off/Frame Sequential/Frame
Packing/Top-Bottom/Side-by-Side. now you might be able to get 3D vision working with an edid overide but you would need to use a DLP Projector EDID from a nvidia 3D vision certified projector not a monitor I do believe as the timings are different then from a monitor or something to that effect..

Let me check the edid I have and see if any could be compatible.. here are 3 good ones that might work as it is best to try one with a similar brand.. here are 3 EDID, just take of the TXT file extension and you will need to use the special menu to be able to install the EDID in Win 10..

Now Remeber if you use nvidia 3D vision capabilities you can ONLY do 1280x720@120hz and 1920x1080@24hz..I think you can also do 1280x800 but best to use 720P..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:37 pm it appears your Projector is 3D capable and here are the formats it can use: 3D Mode Auto/3D Off/Frame Sequential/Frame
Packing/Top-Bottom/Side-by-Side. now you might be able to get 3D vision working with an edid overide but you would need to use a DLP Projector EDID from a nvidia 3D vision certified projector not a monitor I do believe as the timings are different then from a monitor or something to that effect..

Let me check the edid I have and see if any could be compatible.. here are 3 good ones that might work as it is best to try one with a similar brand.. here are 3 EDID, just take of the TXT file extension and you will need to use the special menu to be able to install the EDID in Win 10..

Now Remeber if you use nvidia 3D vision capabilities you can ONLY do 1280x720@120hz and 1920x1080@24hz..I think you can also do 1280x800 but best to use 720P..
Thank you SO MUCH!!! Going to try to install these now. If successful, how do I tell Geo-11 to output in frame sequential? I don't right? I just tell it to output Nvidia 3D Vision? Will that work even though I am using a 3070 on that PC?
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

Also how do I install these EDID files? I tried the "have disk" method but it refuses saying it doesn't contain digital certificate information :\ What is this "special menu" I need to use? Thanks!
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

well with Geo 11 you can use TAB or SBS.. let me get you a link on how to instll the EDID

here you go seems easy enough to follow but this video will show you what you need to do to get the EDID installed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9M2l5vp5co
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:57 pm well with Geo 11 you can use TAB or SBS.. let me get you a link on how to instll the EDID

here you go seems easy enough to follow but this video will show you what you need to do to get the EDID installed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9M2l5vp5co
Thanks for that video, that allowed me to install the EDID files. I know I can do TAB or SBS, but I'm wanting to know if I can do Frame Sequential or Frame Packing to get the FULL HD resolution on my projector.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Your Welcome I had an triple projector setup some years ago so all this is old hat.. Hopefully one of the EDID's will let you use nividia 3D vision.. one of them should work..

What 3D glasses do you use? :shutter
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:13 pm Your Welcome I had an triple projector setup some years ago so all this is old hat.. Hopefully one of the EDID's will let you use nividia 3D vision.. one of them should work..

What 3D glasses do you use? :shutter
AWESOME!!! Does this mean it should be possible?
I'm using a few different models but for example I just ordered these and they work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0893WFLS7?ps ... ct_details
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

For some reason it's show up as Anaglyph on my projector? :\ I'm using 3D Fix Manager do I need to change some settings in there?
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Well when I had my setup I used 3D vision 3D Glasses and emitter. I did try my optoma glasses and I think I was able to get it working in Frame Sequential. if you are not using 3D vision gear you should not need a EDID OVerride..

I thought you had 3D vision 3D glasses.. but it should just work out the gate but you will still ONLY be able to use 1920x1080@24Hz and 1280x720@120hz for Frame Sequential.. I am not remebring how the fram packed would work as I never used it..
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

petermg wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:23 pm For some reason it's show up as Anaglyph on my projector? :\ I'm using 3D Fix Manager do I need to change some settings in there?
well you need to get the remote for the Projector and put it in 3D mode, and dont forget to set your resolution up too
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:28 pm Well when I had my setup I used 3D vision 3D Glasses and emitter. I did try my optoma glasses and I think I was able to get it working in Frame Sequential. if you are not using 3D vision gear you should not need a EDID OVerride..

I thought you had 3D vision 3D glasses.. but it should just work out the gate but you will still ONLY be able to use 1920x1080@24Hz and 1280x720@120hz for Frame Sequential.. I am not remebring how the fram packed would work as I never used it..
Oh no :(
It looks like someone got their Optima projector working at FULL HD 120Hz on this post here:
viewtopic.php?p=179345
I was hoping to replicate that on my BenQ somehow :\
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:29 pm
petermg wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:23 pm For some reason it's show up as Anaglyph on my projector? :\ I'm using 3D Fix Manager do I need to change some settings in there?
well you need to get the remote for the Projector and put it in 3D mode, and dont forget to set your resolution up too
For some reason the only 3D options I'm allowed to pick is TAB or SBS. Frame Sequential and Frame Packing are only enabled when those signals are detected by the projector. For example, watching a 3D Blu-Ray from my PS3, the projector automatically goes into one of those modes and not SBS or TAB, of course. I was hoping I could somehow output a Frame Sequential or Frame Packing 3D SIGNAL from my RTX 3070 PC to get FULL HD 3D gaming working on it.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

no you will NOT be able to get 1920x1080@120Hz with your Projector thqat was a 4K Projector that just was able to do it your will not..but 1280x720 does not look too bad..
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

petermg wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:37 pm
The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:29 pm
For some reason the only 3D options I'm allowed to pick is TAB or SBS. Frame Sequential and Frame Packing are only enabled when those signals are detected by the projector. For example, watching a 3D Blu-Ray from my PS3, the projector automatically goes into one of those modes and not SBS or TAB, of course. I was hoping I could somehow output a Frame Sequential or Frame Packing 3D SIGNAL from my RTX 3070 PC to get FULL HD 3D gaming working on it.
Well when I used my old setup I had 3D vision glasses. I dont remeber how I got FS working without the 3D vision glasses. I can hookup my Optoma and run some tests if it would help me remeber how I did it.. or maybe I did use SBS or simialr..
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:38 pm no you will NOT be able to get 1920x1080@120Hz with your Projector thqat was a 4K Projector that just was able to do it your will not..but 1280x720 does not look too bad..
I am so sad to hear this, but I'm not entirely surprised. What were the other projectors you were saying worked?
Also I think I might be going about this whole 3D gaming thing wrong. I had been using TriDef but I wanted to play some games in 3D that didn't work with TriDef because it's outdated. I found 3DFix Manager, but is that even what I should be using? If I didn't have 3DFix Manager how would I go about playing a game in 3D? Like what if I want to play a game in 3D that doesn't need a "fix"? Does that mean it doesn't show up in 3DFix Manager? If not, how do I launch it in 3D? Sorry, see, I really am a stupid noob.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

well to get back to the Frame Sequential thing, ?I just reconnected my optoma Projector and I was able to manually select Fram Sequential manually. it did say Auto but I just move the cursor around in the Projector menu and select FS manually..

Well the nVidia 3D vision certified where the only ones I know that did work unless you use an Edid or simialr.. let me try and load this game I will see if it will kick in..

If you are using a Projector I think Helixvision is what you need and Geo-11 maybe?? I am really unsure
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:56 pm well to get back to the Frame Sequential thing, ?I just reconnected my optoma Projector and I was able to manually select Fram Sequential manually. it did say Auto but I just move the cursor around in the Projector menu and select FS manually..

Well the nVidia 3D vision certified where the only ones I know that did work unless you use an Edid or simialr.. let me try and load this game I will see if it will kick in..

If you are using a Projector I think Helixvision is what you need and Geo-11 maybe?? I am really unsure
I am 100% good with purchasing HelixVision, but I was under the impression it was just for VR? Is HelixVision also used to make games 3D on 3D displays other than VR?
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

well I am currently trying to see how it works.. maybe postanother thread and ask for Helixvison assistance as I think the only way to get it working in Helixvision is to set the EDID for nvida 3d vision and use nvidia 3D vision just different glasses like you linked. I just trtied launching in VR Mode and it is anaglyph on my Projector??

Not sure how this is supposed to work in FS unless we can only use SBS or TAB.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

well I was able using 3D Migoto to put the game in FramSequential mode and it showed 2 images in the game and you can cycle between the different formats with F11 but my 3D Glasses did not make the FS image look 3D. I mean it appears the glasses turned on it just did not work so IDK what is going on here. but I can put it in SBS or TAB and it works perfectly..

If we use TAB and SBS in Migoto doesn't some of the image get halved in resolution, is that why you don't want to use thoise formats? Also I believe with GEO-11 those modes are in FULL HD IF I read the blog correctly..

I am going to mess around with this and see why the FS is not fully working altho the image on the screen I casn use the hotkeys to put more sepeartion and convergance but sometihing is not synced or similar..
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:26 pm well I was able using 3D Migoto to put the game in FramSequential mode and it showed 2 images in the game and you can cycle between the different formats with F11 but my 3D Glasses did not make the FS image look 3D. I mean it appears the glasses turned on it just did not work so IDK what is going on here. but I can put it in SBS or TAB and it works perfectly..

If we use TAB and SBS in Migoto doesn't some of the image get halved in resolution, is that why you don't want to use thoise formats? Also I believe with GEO-11 those modes are in FULL HD IF I read the blog correctly..

I am going to mess around with this and see why the FS is not fully working altho the image on the screen I casn use the hotkeys to put more sepeartion and convergance but sometihing is not synced or similar..
Yes TAB and SBS half the resolution of the image. It's not an issue on my 4K passive display because halving the 4K resolution gives me FULL HD in 3D. But on a display (my projector) that only does FULL HD, the only way to get Full HD in 3D is by frame sequential or frame packing.

I'll have to try that F11 trick. Am I doing this correctly using the 3D Fix Manager? How do you enable a game to work in 3D if not using 3DFixManager?
Last edited by petermg on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:01 am To get Frame Sequential working you'll need a 3D Vision emitter to unlock the driver output for this format.
You can use either Generic CRT or 3D Vision, but either will require an EDID override unless you use a VGA connection, in which case
Generic CRT will be available. But due to Analog Sunset, VGA might be worthless if your PJ has it.

3DTV Play might be the better option using your 1080ti, it's included for free in 425.31, beyond that, I've no idea if 3DTV Play can be made to work.
You can then try this method to get Frame Packed 3DTV Play at higher than 24Hz https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... hout_3dtv/

Geo-11 can work with your RTX 3XXX, just read the threads/documentation
Thanks! How do I launch 3DTV Play? I am using 3DFixManager, and it installed the last Nvidia driver that supported 3D. In the Stereoscopic driver tab is says version 425.31, and for the Video Driver tab, it says version 452.06.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

@petermg, do you have your Projector plugged directly into your PC with HDMI ?

Also when I was toying around with my Projector last night I tried Metal Gear revengeance and it looked perfect in the Projector but when I switched back to my headset some shadows were broke. Was wondering If I used SBS on the Projector should that make picture look perfect or was it a fluke?
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

The_Nephilim wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:19 am @petermg, do you have your Projector plugged directly into your PC with HDMI ?

Also when I was toying around with my Projector last night I tried Metal Gear revengeance and it looked perfect in the Projector but when I switched back to my headset some shadows were broke. Was wondering If I used SBS on the Projector should that make picture look perfect or was it a fluke?
What do you mean you switched back to your headset? Like a VR headset?
I have my PC HDMI going into a Yamaha TSR-5790. It should pass along the 3D signal directly to my projector. At least that's how it works when I play 3D Blu-Rays from my PS3 which is connected to the receiver and my projector is connected into that.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

petermg wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:50 pm
The_Nephilim wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:19 am @petermg, do you have your Projector plugged directly into your PC with HDMI ?

What do you mean you switched back to your headset? Like a VR headset?
I have my PC HDMI going into a Yamaha TSR-5790. It should pass along the 3D signal directly to my projector. At least that's how it works when I play 3D Blu-Rays from my PS3 which is connected to the receiver and my projector is connected into that.
Yes a VR Headset the ReverbG2 sorry bout that ;)

I think somehow the signal gets broke when plugged into a Reciever you need to plug your Projector directly to the Video card to get it too work properly.. well if you plan on using thenvidia 3D vision stuff and 3DTV Play. but if you are not using 3D vision and 3D TV Play don't worry about it but that is why 3D TV Play did not show up..
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Just to fill in some gaps here- geo-11 is very new and will be fiddly, so put on your modding hat because it will get complicated fast. Also I think that no one else has tried to get frame-sequential output to a projector yet, so you are breaking new ground. For this projector frame-packing is not very interesting because it's the same resolution as frame-sequential.

Most likely mode to work with your 3070 is the nvidia_dx9 output mode. That will output as normal 3D Vision frame sequential from the game. You then also need to get your projector somehow happy with the idea of getting frame-sequential, either from 3D TV Play output, or EDID override. I can't help there, I've not used either.

3DFM is fine to use for setup and running, and it knows about 3D TV Play if it is setup. In top right you can change output modes, and under Settings you can tweak some output modes for different devices. HelixVision is based on 3DFM code so it does all the same jobs, but is focused on outputting to VR headsets by default.

I think your best bet would be to focus on getting the 3D slide show working on your projector. That will use a full screen output, and still works on drivers past 452.06 as long as you set it full screen. Until you can see this working in 3D on the projector, the other parts are possibly interesting but won't matter.

Also worth noting that it may or may not be worth the trouble. If you use 1080p, in frame sequential mode you will be stuck at 24 Hz, which is not particularly great for gaming. If your projector can do faster modes, like 120Hz at 1080p, then you could use TAB (better horizontal resolutinon) and get a better experience. Even though you lose half the pixels, the added frame rate might be a better experience. And compared to 720p@120Hz, you have 1.84M pixels for both eyes. And with a 1080p screen you have 2.07M pixels for both eyes, so it's roughly comparable.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Hey Bo3b,

I tried to get Frame Sequential to my Projector it showed two images like it should I just could not get my Optoma Glasses to work with it. theu turned on it just dint look in 3D not sure what was wrong but it did not work. IF I were to use FS with a projector would I need to use the nvidia 3D Glasses?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Hi the glasses I have are not DLP Link Glasses the are RF Controlled. I had 3D vision glasses before and I used a EDID override for the Projector to get the nVidia 3d Vision glasses working..

I just thought I could get the Sequential working with my current Optoma Glasses but something did not work even tho the glasses turned on, I even had a double image so sometihng was not working properly..

When I did use the nVidia glasses I did not need to use them upside down on the Optoma HD142x projector they worked like normal..
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”