A 3d add on device for any display.

tripletopper
One Eyed Hopeful

A 3d add on device for any display.

Post by tripletopper »

I have seen the Segascope 3d work on on multiple TVs.

I understand the most common tv type was CRT back in the days of the Master System. And the in game code divided the display into alternate frames.

I don't know what other types of TVs there were that worked with the Segascope.

If the unifying factor of incompatible tvs is ping time, and the unifying factor of compatible tvs is submicrosecond ping time, and if modern shutter 3d tvs work because it is model-specific, then in theory a "universal shutter 3d add on kit" could be made to fit all tvs and monitors. The major thing it has to be aware of is the ping time built into the tv.

So all you have to add is a flexable 3d processor, which can take various inputs, and convert them to progressive alternate frames. (As well as 2 separate outputs for polar projectors and capture cards) add an inaudible coded hum that is on the left speaker when the left eye is shown, and the same for the right.

It gets pumped into the tv and delayed fir so many milliseconds. And if that is captured when that hum exits the tv screen (or an audio feed lip synched with the material) then the hum will indicate left eye / right eye status live.

Most TVs from the 90s onward had a Stereo Audio out, a coaxial sound out, a toslink sound out, or an HDMI sound out. (Including HDMI ARC) you can use that to indicate to the syncher when to go left eye and right eye. Since CRTs default to submicrosecond timing, they might not need an audio out to sync it.

That would be the easiest way to add shutter 3d to ANY TV including 4k and 30 bit color tvs. Of course you're going to either need 120 hz tv or use 30 hz x 2 eyes on a 60 hz tv.

By the way, did the Sega Master Sysyem use 480i15fx2 or 240p30fx2? If the SMS used i15 x2, then the TV should look better with p30 x 2.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”