Is VR safe to the eyes, or we are test mice?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
b4thman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Is VR safe to the eyes, or we are test mice?

Post by b4thman »

I suppose this is not the 1st time somebody ask this question:
Is there any studies or something that garanties that the use of VR headsets does not hurt the eyes seriously?

I am thinking on the possibility to buy either Quest 2 or Pico Neo 3 Link, but the principal doubt I have is about eye care.

VR products are not a normal monitor separated 60 cm away from the face, but a source of light just a couple of cm to the eye. If anybody likes VR, I suppose he is going to use for hours, not 15 minutes. I can see vendors that try to sell adapted lenses to reduce blue light in VR headsets. Do not the optics of VR products try to reduce the possible damage? or the only thing that matter is the "wow" effect.

Is there any serious control about the possible damage that VR headsets may cause to the eyes?, or people who buy VR are the perefect test mice?
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”