[How-to] compress 3D screenshots losslessly to save up to ~50% file size without losing quality

3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

[How-to] compress 3D screenshots losslessly to save up to ~50% file size without losing quality

Post by 3DJ »

If y'all also like to take tons 3D screenshots, then chances are you might have over tens, if not hundreds of GBs, especially with PNS.
So I tested dozens of formats and got an idea of the pros and cons of each formats and made a couple scripts to convert PNS and JPGs into WebP and JXL, respectively. Both output formats are lossless and save around 25-50% of the original filesize.
So all you gotta do is download and extract the .bat and .exe into the 3D screenshot folder, and run the format you wanna convert and it'll make a new output folder, keeping the folder structure:
https://github.com/ThreeDeeJay/Lossless ... ses/latest

Note:
- I split the scripts because compressing PNS into WebP saves a lot more (~50% and is readable by sView tho not NVIDIA's viewer) than JPS into JXL (just %25, and takes longer, so it might not be worth, especially because JXL is rarely supported)
- Processing might only use ~15% of your CPU because even tho I enabled multithreading, it seems to use a single core so you can just split the folders into 2 or more and run the script in each to get simultaneous conversions to finish faster at the expense of higher CPU usage, of course.

To show the insanity of this compression, here's a 7680x2160 (4K per eye) screenshot that's actually under discord's 8MB limit (before compression, it was ~14MB)
Again, this is losslesss compression so no pixels were lost/smudged together like lossy/JPEGs.

3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: [How-to] compress 3D screenshots losslessly to save up to ~50% file size without losing quality

Post by 3DJ »

My apologies. I was just informed the repo/download was set to private so I fixed that.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”