Thinking on HDM (not sure)

b4thman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Thinking on HDM (not sure)

Post by b4thman »

My english is not very good and I am reading things about head mounted displays (HMD is the hardware to experience VR, if I am not mistaken) and the possibility to play now games in 3D, but I am confused.

Right now I am playing with a Dell S2716DG monitor + RTX 2080 (no TI) + Ryzen 5800

It is crossing my mind the possibility to buy a HMD (Vive Pro 2 or HP Reverb G2 seems to be the two choices), but it depends on different things.

1) I don't know if, appart of the size, the experience of playing 3D games with a HMD is better/worse than playing with my monitor. I can not play flat games (2D), so HMD is only interesting (for me) if it is possible to play 3D games properly.

2) Another thing is the computer power needed. I don't know if it is possible to play properly using HMD with a lower resolution than the native (native, in both HMDs, is too high to manage with my RTX 2080). I think 2K (2560x1440) is the top resolution that my videocard can handle decently with most of recent games. I am not thinking on upgrading my videocard soon (maybe next year).

3) I am not sure, but playing 3D games using HMDs is only possible with DX12 games? All of them?

I suppose there must be an specific comparison (focusing on 3D experience) between playing with monitor vs playing with HMD.

Vive Pro 2 = 780 €
HP Reverb G2 + 2 controllers = 500 €

I think I did not enter in the VR experience (so far) because I am skeptical about using something unconfortable on my head. And of course because I thought it was not possible to play 3D properly. Maybe now is different.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver
b4thman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Thinking on HDM (not sure)

Post by b4thman »

Ok, I answer myself. I had the opportunity to use HP Reverb G2 (V2) for a couple of days, and I was suprised with the immersione effect. But I can not stand this kind of hardware in the actual state. My eyes do not tolerate the little distorsion of the image and not having the entire field of view with a perfect focus. I feel my eyes get tyred quickly. Also the cable is something that bothers, and the weight of the HMD. But I was impresed playing a little of Alyx, a ping pong game, and Beat Saber.

I think this hardware is very interesting if you do not have eye strain. I will wait until HMD have optical with no image distorsion.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Thinking on HDM (not sure)

Post by whyme466 »

Suggest you review this discussion thread - see viewtopic.php?t=23482. Both G2 and Vive Pro 2 really need 3080Ti to perform well at full resolution (especially VP2). With your current hardware, you might consider getting original Vive Pro, and replacing its Fresnel lens with GearVR lens mod kit (see Etsy). The GearVR lens mod provides a very large viewing sweet spot, without distortion. Note that Varjo’s Aero also has aspherical, non-Fresnel lens with MUCH higher resolution - but introduces distortion at edges of FOV. The referenced discussion thread also mentions a great setup for HMD cable management, rivaling or surpassing wireless connection.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”