3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
john105
Cross Eyed!

Re: 7.1 Surround Sound when Gaming

Post by john105 »

I've been using different 5.1 sound systems for playing for many many years and found that 95% of games do support it natively. 5.1 is not 7.1, but it's close. I've been using an AV receiver connected to my video card via HDMI for the past 6 years and an analog 5.1 system connected to the sound card via 3 mini jacks before it. Both configurations worked fine in 95% of games without any tweaks whatsoever. I just needed to have the correct settings:
1. Select 5.1/7.1 in the Windows sound configuration
2. Select the correct setting in the game's audio options if such setting exists in a particular game (but most games without that setting still can autodectect surround and work correctly).

When I say "work fine", I mean if there's some source of sound in the game and I turn back, I hear its sound only from the back speakers, so it's native and not just 2.0 to 5.1 upmix (what you call "virtual surround" I guess). It looks like it didn't work as well for you, if you're looking for some compatibility list.

Alchemy is also a thing for old games that supported EAX, but it's a bit separate from surround sound, even though they can work together of course. Not sure why you mentioned needing a receiver that has analog inputs. Even Alchemy works fine for me with an AVR connected via HDMI.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”