What's the situation with updating Win 10 now? (been given a new motherboard for Christmas) :0)

P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

What's the situation with updating Win 10 now? (been given a new motherboard for Christmas) :0)

Post by P.C.Zen »

As per the title:

Is it still okay to update to the latest Win10 build, or better to use Windows Update Blocker?

I've been given a new motherboard for Christmas and I'm installing it today, so need to re-install Windows, but it's been a while since I looked at this stuff, so not sure if it's still okay to update Windows.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: What's the situation with updating Win 10 now? (been given a new motherboard for Christmas) :0)

Post by Lysander »

You can go ahead and get the latest updates. Merry Christmas
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
maurizioclaudio21
Cross Eyed!

Re: What's the situation with updating Win 10 now? (been given a new motherboard for Christmas) :0)

Post by maurizioclaudio21 »

I still have build 1809. I can upgrade safely, which build do you use?
Ho ancora la build 1809. posso aggiornare tranquillamente, quale build usate?

Buon Natale tutti voi
Merry Christmas to all
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Wow, brilliant, thanks, that's awesome, I've been running 1809 for months!

We're still limited to 2000 series cards for dx9, dx12 and Vulcan though right?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Wow, that's pretty cool.

And yeah, lets hope the 4000 series still works.

I've still been obsessing on putting together an SLI system to try and increase 3D Vision's longevity...

...I know: no one thinks it's worth doing but I just don't want to let go of 3D.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

The motherboard prices are insane.

In the past, higher end motherboards allowed better OC or SLi, and in some cases, better killer feature (DDR5).

1. Nowadays, OC doesn't really help as the CPU's are running max straight out of the box - so much so that SiliconLottery had to close.

2. SLi is dead.

3. DDR5 is the same performance in all games as decent DDR4. DDR5 prices are insane - I would personally stay with DDR4 because I already have a good kit.

For the first time in a couple of decades, I would honestly consider cheap 'standard' boards to be released soon, as they come with very good VRMs too.

The state of the PC market is insane right now. GPU's are triple price. Motherboards are > double price. DDR5 is selling for over $2500k when the equal performing DDR4 is selling for a couple of hundred dollars. It's a really bad time to buy unless one has deep pockets...
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

3DNovice wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:13 am If by chance that new motherboard is an ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 HERO, you'll want to read this...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/83664/as ... index.html

And BTW, F that stupid Asus update exe that auto installs without permission
lol, thanks, it's not. And yeah, I heard about that; pretty bad. I feel sorry for the people who got the bad boards.

RAGEdemon wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:31 pm The motherboard prices are insane.

In the past, higher end motherboards allowed better OC or SLi, and in some cases, better killer feature (DDR5).

1. Nowadays, OC doesn't really help as the CPU's are running max straight out of the box - so much so that SiliconLottery had to close.

2. SLi is dead.

3. DDR5 is the same performance in all games as decent DDR4. DDR5 prices are insane - I would personally stay with DDR4 because I already have a good kit.

For the first time in a couple of decades, I would honestly consider cheap 'standard' boards to be released soon, as they come with very good VRMs too.

The state of the PC market is insane right now. GPU's are triple price. Motherboards are > double price. DDR5 is selling for over $2500k when the equal performing DDR4 is selling for a couple of hundred dollars. It's a really bad time to buy unless one has deep pockets...
I know (re. the motherboard prices); MSI are even releasing a $2000 Z690 motherboard bundle (with an AIO and DDR4 RAM, in the box). I'm still on Z490 and it's a DDR4 board. I'm not giving up my DDR4 until I absolutely have to. DDR4 is actually better than DDR5 for some games, but I don't think there's a single game where DDR4 actually pulls ahead?

Also, DDR4 is going to be around for a little while longer yet...there's an interesting article about it here: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/ddr5-to-h ... d-of-2021/ (the chart on this page isn't % performance increase, it's predicted adoption rates for DDR5.)

But yeah, generally, I just get the best (generally mid-range) board I can find that's got enough on it to run my PC components properly; but it tends to mean I never really enjoy buying a motherboard; they're more like something I'm forced to have to purchase because I need my PC to work. As Buildzoid said in a recent video: "[motherboards are] just a very fancy cable"; you shouldn't pay more than you need to for them. Get just what you need and save your money for the next chipset that's just around the corner.

That being said, the motherboard I just got is actually really nice. It's three generations old (four if you count Ryzen) but I love it. I think it's the first time I've ever been psyched about owning a motherboard.

Also, yes re. SLI...I only just gave up on the idea. I thought I'd need it to keep running 3D vision when the games got more hardware-intensive. I thought we were all stuck on Turing and only just found out otherwise.

And yes re. the state of the PC components market at the moment; it's terrible. Hopefully it won't last too much longer.
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

P.C.Zen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:15 pm That being said, the motherboard I just got is actually really nice. It's three generations old (four if you count Ryzen) but I love it. I think it's the first time I've ever been psyched about owning a motherboard.
I get excited about a new motherboard even when it's a few years old. It's ok, we're all nerds here.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Feisty_Fernando wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:17 pm
P.C.Zen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:15 pm That being said, the motherboard I just got is actually really nice. It's three generations old (four if you count Ryzen) but I love it. I think it's the first time I've ever been psyched about owning a motherboard.
I get excited about a new motherboard even when it's a few years old. It's ok, we're all nerds here.
:lol:

Thank you...I needed to hear that: it's a safe palace.

:D
john105
Cross Eyed!

Post by john105 »

P.C.Zen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:15 pm I thought we were all stuck on Turing and only just found out otherwise.
We are in fact stuck on Turing because DX11 games won't work on newer cards. Unless playing only 7 VK3DVision games, 2 or 3 DX12 games and all old DX9 games is good enough for you.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”