Pinball FX3 in cabinet question

Axhillock
One Eyed Hopeful

Pinball FX3 in cabinet question

Post by Axhillock »

So I have built a virtual pinball cabinet where I run Visual pinball X, Future Pinball, and Pinball FX3. I have a 42" passive 3DTV as the playfield. I am able to play VPX in 3D since it has a stereoscopic option built in along with the ability to invert the Y-axis so I can see the 3D effect in vertical orientation. The same for future pinball when I use BAM (which looks amazing since FP is completely designed with 3D objects). However I have researched and tried relentlessly to get Pinball FX3 to run in stereoscopic form in vertical orientation however I have been unable to do so. Here are the problems I run into:

1) NVIDIA 3DTV Play does not allow vertical orientation.
2) NVIDIA 3DTV Play does not allow 1080p 60z. I have not tried switching EDID yet since it would be for nothing anyways if I cannot get it in vertical orientation.
3) I've tried to use Reshade however the depthmap is not able to be read by Reshade. I heard that it does work with Pinball FX2, however I tried that as well and I can confirm it does not work. Plus, to my knowledge, I do not see an option to invert the Y-axis on Reshade as well.

This might be fool's errand, however I really would like to see if I can get Pinball FX3 (or even FX2) to work on a 3DTV on portrait mode. The game looks so amazing with NVIDIA 3D Vision on a PC monitor and I would really like to replicate that on a 3DTV. The only reason I believe it could be possible is because Zen Studios released a cabinet version of Pinball FX2 way back that had the capability of 3D in portrait mode. Check out this clip I found on YouTube: https://youtu.be/MHhbygjySIU

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has any solutions or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Pinball FX3 in cabinet question

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

Have you tried something like iRotate?

https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/irotate.shtm

Haven't used it myself but years ago I had to rotate a display 180 degrees for a DIY planar build.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

I do not think it will work.

The problem is that the film pattern retarder is installed in a horizontal orientation, you need a
vertical orientation.

When you launch the game in portrait mode, the game has gone from rendering 1920x1080 to 1080x1920.
So it is effectively rendering cross grain, so to say.

I believe the only option would be to use a Ultra Short Throw Projector beamed onto a rear projection screen.

Plus only Quadros support a vertical interlace output format. TriDef or iz3d might, I can't remember

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Nvidia only officially supported portrait orientation on consumer GPUs via projectors and 3D Vision.
You can see in some of their early 3D Vision promo videos running 3 Acer HD 5360 projectors in portrait mode for a racing sim.

You can run 3DTV Play at 60Hz, there is a post somewhere on here and Reddit about doing so.

3DTV Play also supports Checkerboard 1080i@60 via a drop down menu in the control panel

But on a Passive display you can use the Optimized for Nvidia GeForce hack to get 1080i@60
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

For those not using a Passive display or a 3DHD TV that supports checkerboard, here is the Reddit thread I mentioned for 3DTV Play at greater than the 1080P@24 limitation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... hout_3dtv/

The posters original post
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=25191&p=175430&hi ... te#p175430
Axhillock
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axhillock »

I don't know if iRotate would work because as 3DNovice pointed out, the the stereoscopic orientation would still be at a horizontal orientation instead of a portrait one. As pointed out, NVIDIA does support 3D vision portrait mode on projectors. Would it be possible to use the EDID of a projector for a 3DTV to force portrait mode? What I find also interesting is that Zen Studios was using Pinball FX2 with 3D portrait mode on their commercial pinball cabinet as shown in the youtube clip I linked on my previous message. I wonder if they were running a special build of Pinball FX2 for the cabinet?

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”