Solar Ash

thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Solar Ash

Post by thebigdogma »

RAGEdemon brought his one to our attention a few months back... just released on Epic. It is developed by the studio that produced Hyper Light Drifter.

UE4... universal fix 7.32 kicks-in without any issues and the game runs very smoothly at 120 FPS with 3DV active and all settings at Ultra on my 2070.

But... lighting and shadow issues that the fix doesn't play nicely with... particularly this blue goo stuff that you find yourself skating across a lot.

A few screens so you can see what I am talking about.

Losti, as an FYI, I tried all of the different launch options regarding trouble-shooting these issues, but no luck.

When it's right, it looks great and gameplay is really cool, if you are interested in taking a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sgsrules
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Solar Ash

Post by sgsrules »

I gave this a shot as well. The issue that TheBigDogma is referring to is actually an issue with the Clouds (Blue goo) rendering at screen depth, which would mess up the shadows that are cast on it. Since this only affects the clouds, I'm pretty sure that the lighting and shadows are rendering correctly. I suspect that fixing the clouds rendering at screen depth would fix the shadows that are cast on it as well.
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

LOL... thanks for the clarification. It almost seemed to me like it was supposed to be some bouncy, floaty surface of some alien origin. I've never seen the clouds come down to earth quite like that before! :lol:
sgsrules
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sgsrules »

thebigdogma wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:07 pm LOL... thanks for the clarification. It almost seemed to me like it was supposed to be some bouncy, floaty surface of some alien origin. I've never seen the clouds come down to earth quite like that before! :lol:
I mean it could be blue goo, I just thought they were blue clouds (with some artistic freedom) :lol:
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

This game uses really REALLY strange shaders

//
vs_2_0
def c6, 0, 1, 0, 0
dcl_texcoord v0
mul r0, v0.y, c4
mad r0, v0.x, c3, r0
add oT0, r0, c5
mul r0, v0.xyxy, c1
add r0.xy, r0.ywzw, r0.xzzw
add r0.xy, r0, c2
add oPos.xy, r0, c0
mov oPos.zw, c6.xyxy

// approximately 8 instruction slots used
vs_4_0
dcl_constantbuffer cb0[10], immediateIndexed
dcl_input v0.xy
dcl_output_siv o0.xyzw, position
dcl_output o1.xyzw
dcl_temps 1
dp2 r0.x, cb0[5].xyxx, v0.xyxx
add o0.x, r0.x, cb0[6].x
dp2 r0.x, cb0[5].zwzz, v0.xyxx
add o0.y, r0.x, cb0[6].y
mov o0.zw, l(0,0,0,1.000000)
mul r0.xyzw, v0.yyyy, cb0[8].xyzw
mad r0.xyzw, v0.xxxx, cb0[7].xyzw, r0.xyzw
add o1.xyzw, r0.xyzw, cb0[9].xyzw
ret

never seen this before...

VS2 0 and 4 in one shader?? WTF...

i need some time to sort this out
sgsrules
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sgsrules »

That's odd. I'm assuming the dev copy pasted some old shader code and left the vs_2_0 profile text. The compiler probably ignores it and uses 4. Anyhow thanks for taking a look at this Losti. Cheers!
Losti

Post by Losti »

sgsrules wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:45 pm That's odd. I'm assuming the dev copy pasted some old shader code and left the vs_2_0 profile text. The compiler probably ignores it and uses 4. Anyhow thanks for taking a look at this Losti. Cheers!
Looks like DX9 and 11 in one file:-))
Losti

Post by Losti »

//
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

I've fixed those clouds and some related shadows and lighting. Also fixed the 2D lighting of the sky (by brute force in the VS, which leaves some dark clipping at the sides). Unzip these shaders inside "ShaderFixes", using the latest universal fix version you can: https://masterotaku.s3.amazonaws.com/So ... fixes_1.7z

I used max settings. I guess I'll discuss these fixes with Losti to see if they can be added to the universal fix at some point.

Proof:

This was done near the start of the game. I don't know if more things need fixing later on.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

lol, the idea gets mentioned in passing on Discord and he already fixes it :lol: what a boss!
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

Indeed! Just gave it a test run... problem solved, looks great! Thanks to both M and L!
Losti

Post by Losti »

masterotaku wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:20 pm I've fixed those clouds and some related shadows and lighting. Also fixed the 2D lighting of the sky (by brute force in the VS, which leaves some dark clipping at the sides). Unzip these shaders inside "ShaderFixes", using the latest universal fix version you can: https://masterotaku.s3.amazonaws.com/So ... fixes_1.7z

I used max settings. I guess I'll discuss these fixes with Losti to see if they can be added to the universal fix at some point.

Proof:

This was done near the start of the game. I don't know if more things need fixing later on.
WOOOW ill check this and add theeese new fixes to the universal fix, so even for this game, the later parts should be cool.

NOTE: Volumetric light bulbs are only fixed with the shipping of 7.40, not in 7.32. You needto be a bit more patient here ^^
Losti

Post by Losti »

I have fixed the horizon currently without the side boarders, it will be a part of UE4-UF2-V7.40, it also fixed glow things at horizon for other games. but you need to delete the masterotaku files if added, in case for solar ash than.
Losti

Post by Losti »

game is fixed now using latest universal fix for UE4.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”