Psychonauts 2

WickedScav
Cross Eyed!

Psychonauts 2

Post by WickedScav »

Psychonauts 2 just got released and being a huge fan of the first one, I had to try it right away :)

It seems to work fine, almost without any tweaks using Losti's UE4 Universal fix 5.22 but I have to admit, I only play like 5 minutes so far.

It does however require the UE4 UF crash fix mode 1 to start and I haven't found a way to apply crash fix 1 when starting the game using the STEAM UI, so far I have to manually start the config tool and select crash fix mode 1 to be able to play the game everytime I start it... maybe one of the gurus here, knows how to apply this permanently using "d3dx.ini" or "d3dx_user.ini"?

Also, the game start with a message, saying the driver I'm using (452.06) has some issues with the game and I should be using at least 471.11, although so far I haven't noticed any problem...
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Psychonauts 2

Post by Shift-E »

thanks for reporting, since its been getting glowing reviews and works in 3D I added it to my wishlist for any future sales. Let us know if the driver and perfect 3D hold up once you get much deeper into the game.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

WickedScav wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:10 am Psychonauts 2 just got released and being a huge fan of the first one, I had to try it right away :)

It seems to work fine, almost without any tweaks using Losti's UE4 Universal fix 5.22 but I have to admit, I only play like 5 minutes so far.

It does however require the UE4 UF crash fix mode 1 to start and I haven't found a way to apply crash fix 1 when starting the game using the STEAM UI, so far I have to manually start the config tool and select crash fix mode 1 to be able to play the game everytime I start it... maybe one of the gurus here, knows how to apply this permanently using "d3dx.ini" or "d3dx_user.ini"?

Also, the game start with a message, saying the driver I'm using (452.06) has some issues with the game and I should be using at least 471.11, although so far I haven't noticed any problem...
Crash Fix Mode 1 is nothing else than set the compatibility mode for the game to Windows 8 in the registry for a game exe. So once done with the config tool its permanentely set until you remove it with the config tool again. Steam may launches the game from the first exe in the game folder and not for the win64-shipping one in binaries/win64 folder located where you place the fix. So try to add the win 8 compat mode to the exe in the main game folder. If this still not works, ensure running the game in DX11 by adding -dx11 to the steam launching options for this game.

the driver message from the game is normal for some games because the producer wants to make sure using a sutitible driver that the game was tested with and confirmed working so they write this to not get massive replies if the user is using an outdated driver ^^ So if it wrks, just ignore this.
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

I have been playing for a couple of hours and performance in 3D is outstanding. This is actually one of the more hassle-free games to get working in S3D in recent memory - no worries about W10, compatibility, etc.

After installing Losti's universal fix, just add -dx11 to the game's Steam launch options and you are good to go! (game will default to DX12 otherwise and the game will crash at launch with 3DV enabled, and just ignore the driver notification)
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

oh, fantastic to have another modern title in 3D, thank you for letting us know! I hear it's a great game, too
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Losti

Post by Losti »

thebigdogma wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:08 am I have been playing for a couple of hours and performance in 3D is outstanding. This is actually one of the more hassle-free games to get working in S3D in recent memory - no worries about W10, compatibility, etc.

After installing Losti's universal fix, just add -dx11 to the game's Steam launch options and you are good to go! (game will default to DX12 otherwise and the game will crash at launch with 3DV enabled, and just ignore the driver notification)
Please still make sure running the config tool once until you reach the main menu to install AA fixes for any new game you use it, otherwhise you can run into issues with temporal effects or other issues caused by PP/AO or AA. This ensures max image quality in 3D
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

Sorry... forgot to mention that I did run the config tool the first time.
WickedScav
Cross Eyed!

Post by WickedScav »

Losti wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:55 am Crash Fix Mode 1 is nothing else than set the compatibility mode for the game to Windows 8 in the registry for a game exe. So once done with the config tool its permanentely set until you remove it with the config tool again. Steam may launches the game from the first exe in the game folder and not for the win64-shipping one in binaries/win64 folder located where you place the fix. So try to add the win 8 compat mode to the exe in the main game folder. If this still not works, ensure running the game in DX11 by adding -dx11 to the steam launching options for this game.
Thanks for the explanation of crash fix mode 1. The game indeed had another executable in the main folder but setting it to win8 compatibility didn't help. As "thebigdogma" already reported however, "-dx11" did the trick, the game indeed starts in dx12 mode per default.
Losti

Post by Losti »

WickedScav wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:59 am
Losti wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:55 am Crash Fix Mode 1 is nothing else than set the compatibility mode for the game to Windows 8 in the registry for a game exe. So once done with the config tool its permanentely set until you remove it with the config tool again. Steam may launches the game from the first exe in the game folder and not for the win64-shipping one in binaries/win64 folder located where you place the fix. So try to add the win 8 compat mode to the exe in the main game folder. If this still not works, ensure running the game in DX11 by adding -dx11 to the steam launching options for this game.
Thanks for the explanation of crash fix mode 1. The game indeed had another executable in the main folder but setting it to win8 compatibility didn't help. As "thebigdogma" already reported however, "-dx11" did the trick, the game indeed starts in dx12 mode per default.
Many new games do this, as i wrote above, if you dont use the config tool to start games, add -dx11 to starting options of the launcher for any UE4 game. But make sure as written above starting the game once with the config tool to install AA/AO things to ensure not to run into temporal effect issues or other things related to AA.
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

SOLVED! I needed to apply driver hack. Did that using 3D Fix Manager (global) and now the game works just fine! :)

Guys, I need some help, please. :)
The game crashes with "D3D device lost: REMOVED" error when I enable 3D mode. I have tried toggling auto 3D mode but it doesn't do any difference.
Also, I have tried enabling/disabling Full Screen and have enabled the crash fix mentioned in the first post.
Would be very thankful for any help/suggestion :)
Thanks!

P.S. Running game on i5-8600K with 1080Ti on Win 10.
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Unfortunately, the game has lots of issues with shadows and some other (minor) elements, like text on sign-posts.
Tried alternate launch method #1 (the on related to broken shadows), but it actually made things worse.
Is there anything else left to try? :)
Thanks!
Losti

Post by Losti »

Serzhas wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:00 pm Unfortunately, the game has lots of issues with shadows and some other (minor) elements, like text on sign-posts.
Tried alternate launch method #1 (the on related to broken shadows), but it actually made things worse.
Is there anything else left to try? :)
Thanks!
Where do you encounter this issues? In my eyes its perfect except some issue in the main menu, so what play time you are on? First screenes with issues or later on? If later on, please provide a savegame.

Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Will do, Losti! :geek:
I'm about 5-6 hours into the game. Issues are mostly with various decay on floor/walls, and they are not so often, but whenever you see one - it's quite broken. There is one such issue in Atrium, to the right of the Otto-Matic machine on the floor, right in front of the passage to the adjacent room.
Will try to upload screenshots and savegame later today.
Thank you!
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Losti, here is my savegame: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dUQA9f ... sp=sharing
You can see the issue by doing Resume Game and then running to the steps on the left - the decay on the ground is broken.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take 3D screenshots. :? ALT+F1 simply doesn't do anything, nor any other button I assign to "3D Screenshot" via 3D Fix Manager.
If you have any ideas why 3D screenshot doesn't work - I would be grateful and would provide screenshots of any issues I find.
Thank you!
Losti

Post by Losti »

Serzhas wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:21 am Losti, here is my savegame: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dUQA9f ... sp=sharing
You can see the issue by doing Resume Game and then running to the steps on the left - the decay on the ground is broken.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take 3D screenshots. :? ALT+F1 simply doesn't do anything, nor any other button I assign to "3D Screenshot" via 3D Fix Manager.
If you have any ideas why 3D screenshot doesn't work - I would be grateful and would provide screenshots of any issues I find.
Thank you!
Before ill have a look, what UE4-UF2 Version are you using ?
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

I'm using v3.60, the one downloaded from HelixMod site :)
P.S. The guy in the first post mentions v5.22, but a quick search didn't yield any results.

P.P.S. Any tips on why I can't make a 3D screenshot? I found quite a few broken effects, but can't show them... :(

UPDATE: Just got to the Questionnable Area in game, and things are quite different in there - everything looks pink and overburn. :shock: Without the fix, game looks properly.
Here is saved games where I'm in Questionnable Area: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fIrPoG ... sp=sharing
Losti

Post by Losti »

Serzhas wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:06 am I'm using v3.60, the one downloaded from HelixMod site :)
P.S. The guy in the first post mentions v5.22, but a quick search didn't yield any results.

P.P.S. Any tips on why I can't make a 3D screenshot? I found quite a few broken effects, but can't show them... :(

UPDATE: Just got to the Questionnable Area in game, and things are quite different in there - everything looks pink and overburn. :shock: Without the fix, game looks properly.
Here is saved games where I'm in Questionnable Area: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fIrPoG ... sp=sharing
3.60 is often not working perfect for the latest games.

5.22: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=25844
Last edited by Losti on Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Oh, I see! Thank you very much, Losti!

UPDATE: Just got my hands on Unreal Engine Universal fix v5.22 and man, it's awesome! Psychonauts 2 is now a 3D Vision Ready title! Yay!!! Thank you so much again, Losti!!!
lukafercec
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lukafercec »

I have been recently playing this game Psychonauts 2, and indeed, with UE4 Universal fix 5.22 it looks fantastic in 3D. There are a few glitches here and there (like some dialogue skits over gameplay later in the game), but nothing major and deal breaking.

But I have however one really annoying issue. The fix works great with AntiAliasing setting set to "Temporal". Unfortunately this setting can be really demanding in some areas, dropping to only 12FPS in the main hub area for example.
Psychonauts2-Temporal.png
But if I change the AntiAliasing setting to "FXAA" or "Off", the FPS counter goes up to 40FPS, but the shadows of characters become completely broken.
Psychonauts2-FXAA.png
I tried all the options in UE4 Fix Config (alternate start options, disable AA in fix etc.), I tried completely removing and reinstalling the fix, in case I messed up something, but no luck. No matter what I try, only the Temporal setting works.

I also attached the save of the hub area.

Does anybody have an idea what is going on or is it just supposed to be like that and I am out of luck because I have too weak PC?

I have Intel i7-3770K with GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM, running Win10 20H2 and NVidia driver 452.06 with hack.

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Losti

Post by Losti »

Ok this is the second game having this issue turning AA off causes issues. Ill have a look in some days. Currently i am not available for a PC some days.
lukafercec
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lukafercec »

Losti wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 pm Ok this is the second game having this issue turning AA off causes issues. Ill have a look in some days. Currently i am not available for a PC some days.
Thank you, just take your time, no hurry. I'm happy if you take a look at all.
Losti

Post by Losti »

lukafercec wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:23 am
Losti wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 pm Ok this is the second game having this issue turning AA off causes issues. Ill have a look in some days. Currently i am not available for a PC some days.
K i have fixed this issue and check other games and some little issues to make a UE4-UF2 update with new things.
Losti

Post by Losti »

Should be fixed now, using UE4-UF2-5.30

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=25844

Cheers!
lukafercec
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lukafercec »

Losti wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:50 am
Should be fixed now, using UE4-UF2-5.30

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=25844

Cheers!
Wow, I have checked it now with V5.30 and it is fixed indeed! Thank you so much for dealing with this issue. A small donation is on my way to you. I can't do much at the moment, but I hope it will serve as a a small but genuine thank you.
Losti

Post by Losti »

Yeah have fun with the game. :shutter
WickedScav
Cross Eyed!

Post by WickedScav »

Losti wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:27 pm Yeah have fun with the game. :shutter
Thanks you very much for the update! :D Danke

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”