Help - 3DTV play works with Nvidia test but NOT games!

LifePeace
One Eyed Hopeful

Help - 3DTV play works with Nvidia test but NOT games!

Post by LifePeace »

My 3DTV play won’t work with games, even though it works with Nvidia setup/testing. I have a Lenovo Y530-15CH laptop with GTX 1050 Ti and the correct legacy Nvidia 3D enabled drivers. The 3D works on my 3DTV with the Nvidia setup process, the 3D test and the Nvidia 3D photo viewer app, but it won’t work with games at all. It’s not recognized, even in games with internal 3D support. Yes, I enabled a 3D resolution and my TV says it’s running a 3D resolution, just no 3D in games.

I have tried 3D fix manager, different 3D supported drivers, setting my power settings to performance, setting physx on just the GTX GPU, setting up the global and game profiles’s preferred graphics processor to “high performance NVIDIA processor”, disabling the stupid Intel graphics card in device manager, trying my other 3DTV, different resolutions.. all with no success.

How can I get the obviously properly setup 3D that works with Nvidia programs to work with my games?? Why would it work one way but not the other? It used to work when I first bought the laptop in 2018. Some update broke this
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Help - 3DTV play works with Nvidia test but NOT games!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

Video card driver updates often break 3DV, but 3DTV will only ever work with the 3DTV being 1080p/48Hz or 720p/60Hz. You're trying to output laptop games to a 3DTV, is this correct? nvidia drivers can and should only be between 425.31 - 456.02. Outside of that range you're probably looking at a lot more work or zero 3D Vision. There is some rumored fix floating around in the wild which can in theory do 1080p/60Hz by overriding the EDID but I didn't test it out due to its age and my 3DTV play working fine without it. I just have a dedicated pc and video card.

The obvious: make sure the laptop screen resolution is the same as your 3DTV (either 720p or 1080p). Use CRU to get the resolution you want, if needed.
In then nvidia control panel, have you tried changing the option for dual display to single display? In the past for me, toggling which display is your main display seemed to do strange things with the nvidia 3D driver and sometimes produced the 3D on the correct display, and occasionally in 3D when it was set to a merged display like sometimes the nvidia driver just can't get it right.

There will be someone here who can help better than I can. These guys with the tools have taken most of the work out of it, they usually only battle against Win10 updates or DX12-only games now.
LifePeace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LifePeace »

Feisty_Fernando wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:39 pm
make sure the laptop screen resolution is the same as your 3DTV (either 720p or 1080p). Use CRU to get the resolution you want, if needed.

In then nvidia control panel, have you tried changing the option for dual display to single display? In the past for me, toggling which display is your main display seemed to do strange things with the nvidia 3D driver and sometimes produced the 3D on the correct display, and occasionally in 3D when it was set to a merged display like sometimes the nvidia driver just can't get it right.
Hey thanks for the reply. The laptop resolution is the same as one of the 3D TVs I used to test it. The laptop screen and the TV don’t show up on the Nvidia control panel. Just the TV does. The laptop screen only shows up on the intel GPU control panel. When I disconnect the tv, the Nvidia control panel shows the laptop screen as being hooked up to the the intel GPU and I can’t change that at all. Most likely part of the issue, but again, the 3DTV works properly with the Nvidia test and the picture viewer... so how come the games can’t follow the same path and work? Do the games try to use the Intel GPU first and interrupt the 3D from activating due to the Intel GPU’s incompatibility? Would the 3D fix manager team be able to fix/patch this?? (Please!)
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

LifePeace wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:33 pm
Feisty_Fernando wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:39 pm
make sure the laptop screen resolution is the same as your 3DTV (either 720p or 1080p). Use CRU to get the resolution you want, if needed.

Hey thanks for the reply. The laptop resolution is the same as one of the 3D TVs I used to test it. The laptop screen and the TV don’t show up on the Nvidia control panel. Just the TV does. The laptop screen only shows up on the intel GPU control panel. When I disconnect the tv, the Nvidia control panel shows the laptop screen as being hooked up to the the intel GPU and I can’t change that at all. Most likely part of the issue, but again, the 3DTV works properly with the Nvidia test and the picture viewer... so how come the games can’t follow the same path and work? Do the games try to use the Intel GPU first and interrupt the 3D from activating due to the Intel GPU’s incompatibility? Would the 3D fix manager team be able to fix/patch this?? (Please!)
If you have the integrated Intel video drivers from a factory restore CD, can you try completely uninstalling the intel graphics drivers so there's just a default generic svga display driver? If you don't have the drivers backed up I wouldn't mess with it but that's where I'd start. You have 2 different video drivers installed, it seems like where the problems would begin. I only have the 3DTV for a screen unless I plug in the Avegant Glyph or an Asus 27" 3D monitor where I have to juggle with displays within the nvidia control panel.

If you do completely wipe the intel video drivers out as a test, might have to block Win10 from bringing them right back. There are tutorials on here for blocking some of the stuff Win10 tries to rule over you with. Hang tight, someone else who uses 3DTV Play will be along here at some point.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LifePeace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LifePeace »

Feisty_Fernando wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:31 pm
If you have the integrated Intel video drivers from a factory restore CD, can you try completely uninstalling the intel graphics drivers so there's just a default generic svga display driver? If you don't have the drivers backed up I wouldn't mess with it but that's where I'd start. You have 2 different video drivers installed, it seems like where the problems would begin. I only have the 3DTV for a screen unless I plug in the Avegant Glyph or an Asus 27" 3D monitor where I have to juggle with displays within the nvidia control panel.

If you do completely wipe the intel video drivers out as a test, might have to block Win10 from bringing them right back. There are tutorials on here for blocking some of the stuff Win10 tries to rule over you with. Hang tight, someone else who uses 3DTV Play will be along here at some point.
The computer came preloaded without a backup disc. This light be risky. I did trying deactivating the intel graphics card in the device manager and the laptop screen wouldn’t work. But maybe that wasn’t enough? I will think about going further down the full removal road... Has anyone done this successfully?
LifePeace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LifePeace »

3DNovice wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:08 pm It might be due to Nvidia Optimus.

You might have to manually configure it per app/game.

3DTV Play will only work at 1080P 24Hz.

In a dx11 game, you cam use the SbS or O/U shader in 3DMigoto for 1080@60.

If a Passive 3D HDTV, use the Optomized for Nvidia GeForce EDID override for 1080@60
I agree this is a strong potential. However, I have already tried changing global and game specific “preferred graphics card” to “high performance Nvidia processor”. It doesn’t seem to fix it. But I wonder if this optimums process still causes issue regardless. Can I turn it off?

I haven’t been able to get any games to work SBS, that would be ideal but I’m not sure if that will even work if Nvidia doesn’t even activate 3D upon game launch. My 3D tv is active btw
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”