3080+1080ti in same PC - two different drivers possible or dual boot?

Kaizen777
One Eyed Hopeful

3080+1080ti in same PC - two different drivers possible or dual boot?

Post by Kaizen777 »

Hi friends. So I tried to move on from 3D vision gaming due to my 3080 being unable to run anything beyond DX9 games in 3D due to the newer drivers having broken the code. I figured the world doesn't care about it, why should I? 4k gaming is all the rage! Got a 65" TV to game at 4k on. Sure enough, it's beautiful. BUT IT ISN'T FUN. I can't go back to cyclops vision!!! Not even in 4K. ='( I game in 3D on my Sony projector at 720P/60hz. At 720P 3D gaming is MUCH COOLER and more fun than 4K. I'd choose it any day. But I can't play any newer games.
I love VR, the 3080 is still very helpful to drive the Reverb G2 headset. I actually like 3D vision gaming even more than VR. Such a shame 3D vision never really took off.
For now, I can probably enjoy good enough 3d vision performance with my 1080ti + 5950x cpu at 720p. Supposedly lower res is more CPU dependent anyway.
So my dilemma is, how do I get both the 3080 and the 1080ti running in the same PC?
I imagine that setting up a dual-boot on Windows 10 would work. One OS with the newest Nvidia drivers and one with most recent drivers before 3D vision broke.
But what a hassle for me, to need to switch back and forth. I actually considered building a 2nd PC with perhaps a 5600X cpu and my 1080ti. I may go that direction.
Is it possible to accomplish having both in the same system without dual-booting? Can each card use a different driver set, perhaps?
I suppose I could also manually switch between driver sets (hassle)... but I imagine that could cause me issues.
Thank you!!

P.S. I am grateful to this community for all the hard work, and to the great minds who have kept 3D vision alive and are trying to find a solution to this driver issue!
copter
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3080+1080ti in same PC - two different drivers possible or dual boot?

Post by copter »

Good evening

I see that your request will not have been very successful, I hope you have found a solution.
I am in exactly the same situation as you, I love 3D vision with my 1080ti even though windows 10 is causing me problems.
And I love my G2 reverb and I plan to take a 3080 someday when Nvidia decides to provide these cards to the gamer.
I believe the 3080 still has no solution for 3Dvision and it's cruel to have to choose between the 2 and I thought about putting the 2 GPUs in my PC or making a 2nd PC.
This is completely ridiculous and not sure if it will work but I don't see any other solution?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

I have a motherboard that allows me to individually turn the PCIe lanes on and off, this worked for my dual booting W7/W10. I do not know if they still make anything like this though.
The downside is the additional heat.

They do make an external graphic card housing for laptops and I'd imagine that there is something similar for desktops due to the coin mining craze.
Kaizen777
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kaizen777 »

Thanks to both of you who replied. I haven't solved the problem yet. I was planning to run my 3080 and 1080ti in the same rig, and have been waiting for a particular PSU to restock for months. I'm gonna get the PSU finally in a few days. Some time in the next few weeks I will try the dual boot setup, I think. That or I will build a 2nd rig.
Again, to all those who have been thinking about a solution to the driver issue, you're all heroes!
I wish I knew enough about the topic to be able to help.
BazzaLB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BazzaLB »

I just ended up biting the bullet and building a new 3080/11900K machine for my VR / Sim gaming and kept my old 1080ti/7700K for 3D gaming. Just have a switch for keyboard/mouse and optical speaker system so the 2 machines share these as well as my 3DTV as the monitor.

One sits under my desk, the other on top. Best of both worlds.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

link the switch please
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

3DNovice wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:10 pm link the switch please
Well, I bought these at a physical store IN Melbourne/Aus

I used a 3 way toslink switch for my optical sound https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-way-optical ... =relevance
and a 2 way usb switch for mouse/keyboard https://www.jaycar.com.au/dual-pc-usb-k ... =relevance

You should be able to get equivalents at any electronics shop/online retailer

as luck would have it, after mentioning my great 2 machine solution here, my new 3080 machine died today (about an hour later).. Only lasted 1.5 months! The nvme SSD has died. I hate reinstalling windows and all the relevant games/utils/settings/game saves.. GAH! At least its still under warranty.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Hmm, I thought you were using some type of docking station.

So you still end up having to swap your display cables between PCs?

I have a PC on my Desk and one on a shelf above. I'd like to move both above and not swap cables anymore.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:15 am Hmm, I thought you were using some type of docking station.

So you still end up having to swap your display cables between PCs?

I have a PC on my Desk and one on a shelf above. I'd like to move both above and not swap cables anymore.
My 3DTV has multiple HDMI inputs so its just a case of selecting the relevant input on the TV.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Just saw this on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1553 ... icity_KVM/

About This Software
Combine the power of multiple machines and shed the hassle (and cost) of traditional KVM boxes. With Multiplicity KVM, you can control up to 9 PCs with a single keyboard and mouse completely wirelessly, freeing up your workspace by removing the cables and extra hardware needed for a traditional KVM switch. This versatile, secure, and affordable software solution makes working across multiple computers a breeze.

If you are on the go and remoting into other PCs, or simply require the power of a seamless connection of up to 9 machines, Multiplicity KVM is the best application to get the job done. You can lock and unlock all of your PCs at once from one keyboard, listen to audio from multiple PCs without having to switch headsets and speakers, and drag and drop files and folders of any size between PCs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I use Fences from them
https://store.steampowered.com/app/607380/Fences/

It seems that they have a Wallpaper Engine competitor now
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1027220/DeskScapes/

Wallpaper Engine, in case you never heard of it
https://store.steampowered.com/app/4319 ... er_Engine/

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”