[OGL3DVision] Wolfenstein: The New Order & The Old Blood "Remastered" Stereo3D

helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

[OGL3DVision] Wolfenstein: The New Order & The Old Blood "Remastered" Stereo3D

Post by helifax »

Hello :) I did not want to post this in my Vk3DVision thread as it is not related to Vulkan, but rather to OpenGL, and since Nvidia Forums are now a mess... I decided to make a new thread for this game :)

If you don't already know, I have made a full Stereo3D fix for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, which you can find here: http://3dsurroundgaming.com/Vk3DVisionGames.html#wolf2. You can also check the video on Youtube (if you click on the image on my website it should take it directly there).

So, after playing Wolf II in 3D, I decided to try it the first part in the series: Wolfenstein: The New Order.
(This game originally came out in 2014 and unlike Wolf 2, it uses IDTech5 - and the notorious 60FPS cap).

So, I re-downloaded the game and booted up my "ancient" fix from 2016... It still works, but... Coming from the experience of Wolf 2, Doom Eternal, etc to Wolf 1 rendering at 30 FPS out-of-sync and those 15FPS Movies was a pretty game-breaker :(
Now, even in this state, I finished the game a long time ago: 0-100% complete according to Steam Achievements, so it is serviceable, but not a great experience.
The fix was also made on version 6.12 of the OGL3DVision wrapper and not the latest one.

Thus:

0. I decided to use ID5Tweaker to make the game render at 60 FPS in 3D!
This tool/hack appeared a few years after Wolfenstein New Order/Old Blood were released.
The problem with IDTech5, unlike IDTech6 - that powers Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolf 2, etc - is that in IDTech5 you would get a max of 60 FPS. The whole reason is because the GAME Time and speed of animation and game logic is directly TIED to the FRAMERATE.
At 120FPS basically the game would run at DOUBLE speed. This was the stupidest decision they ever made with IDTech5 and as we see with IDTech6 they completely changed it, where the game can now run at 1000 FPS but the game time and logic updates at 60 FPS!
ID5Tweaker unlocks the FPS and makes the game time also update at 120FPS instead of locked 60FPS. There are still issues even with the tool, but I will not go over them here.

So now, that we have 60 FPS in 3D - aka 120FPS in 2D:

I. I decided to update the fix from 6.12 to 10.1
This meant basically redoing the fix as I changed parts of the code and how I hash the shaders from 6.12 to 10.1. This more or less means redoing the fix :(
Once that was done, I noticed other issues that I haven't fixed before, so I had to fix those issues as well:
- Lights & Volumetric Lights
- Shadows
- Lots of decal types
- Reflections, but not Screen Space Reflections! I didn't even looked for them. Maybe I will in the future.
- Glass Reflection and Refractions
- UI at Depth & Crosshair at different Depth.
- Etc, Etc, Etc.

II. Custom Weapons Depth
Like Wolf 2, the game world is in a correct linear depth space. However, this means that if I want the world to look a bit more 3D, I need to pump a higher convergence value. This will apply a very big separation to hands & guns - since they are literally next to the camera and "not at depth". So, like before, I had to separate the Hands, Guns, Particles etc that are related to the weapons or player from the rest of the world and apply a different Stereo Depth.

III. Properly in sync Stereo 3D 30FPS cinematics!
The game uses A LOT of cinematics! Sometimes longer one between levels, but also a lot of short ones in-levels. Moving from a 60FPS 3D experience to 15FPS out-of-sync experience for 10-15 seconds felt like a "truck hit me in the face" feeling.
As a result, I have developed a new technique that will perfectly synchronize ANY video, at ANY Framerate for rendering in Stereo3D using sequential frames. Currently this is experimental in OGL3DVision but I plan to port it to Vk3DVision as well and this should be GENERIC to all games :!: :!: :!:
(Currently I only target Bink Player, but I am sure the same can be done for other players).

IV. No Shaking & Accurate Blood & other Decals
If you remember the original fix, you will remember this one :lol:
The problem is quite simple to explain. The Stereo correction needs to happen in the Fragment/Pixel Shader. But this shader only have access to the inverse of the Model-View-Projection (MVP) matrix.
The correction needs to happen in Screen Space (so in MVP space).
Mike_ar69 helped me at at time to fix it and the approach was to compute the MVP from the Inverse-MVP by well.. inversing the matrix, applying the correction and then multiplying again with the Inverse-MVP to get it back in the original space.
However, when you make a Mat4 from 4 vec4's in GLSL then applying the inverse() function, you lose quite some precision. The result was technically correct, but some of that original accuracy was lost.
ALSO :!: :!: :!: Computing a matrix INVERSE in the Fragment shader (this means for every pixel on the screen) can lead to some huge computational times! Remember you don't have 1 pixel shader for a frame with this correction but 4-5-6-10 shaders! (I will let you do the math for 1920x1080p with 10 shaders doing this correction, how many matrix inverse operations will happen :lol: :ugeek: )

This is the correct Mathematical approach! But, in Real-Time Computer Graphics most of the times we don't apply the direct formulas, because we do get to know some other properties of these matrices and how space computation works.
As such I looked into fixing these effects without all the extra compute required: matrix inverse (which if you know from math is not a simple operation), 2x matrix multiplications and the regular stereo3D formula.
The result is I needed just 1 operation that can be applied directly using the Inverse-MVP and the correct Inversed Depth.
Result, fully accurate Stereo3D effects with no shimmering or shacking! (As seen in the video).

V. Input Synchronization for Mouse Movement
Synchronizing the game to re-draw the same frame twice (by making the game think no time has passed between L & R frames) can be done in various ways. Remember the game engine doesn't know it is rendering Stereo (same image from 2 perspectives). It still thinks is rendering consecutive frames and as such time passes between each frame.
The approach I use in Vk3DVision is to basically Assembly edit the game engine only to advance the "game time" after the Right Eye Frame is drawn and in time for Left Eye Frame.
For INPUT I have to do the same as it changes your perception in the game world and it is not tied to the game-world-time directly.
This again can be done from Assembly, but now I have prototyped a new mechanism that SYNCHRONIZES Mouse input between frames automatically! Currently this is experimental in OGL3DVision but I plan to port it to Vk3DVision as well and this should be GENERIC to all games :!: :!: :!: as well.
(I did not look at Keyboard input, nor XBOX controller input yet :ugeek: )

Lastly VI. Dominant Eye Rendering
I know I have talked about this feature for a long time now, but I realised I never properly showed it :lol:
In the below image: Dominant Eye is LEFT. Aiming and closing the Right RL eye will give you a perfect Aiming ability - EXACTLY LIKE YOU DO in REAL LIFE.
This image is EXACTLY as you would see a GUN in Real Life if you look down the Iron Sight with 2 eyes instead of the one 8-)

YOUTUBE Video of one of the later missions :) This is a full run of the full mission (40-ish minutes long).
===============================================================================================
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omY8oqy-40w
(And if you watched the video and liked, at least leave a "Like" on Youtube :D Thanks)
===============================================================================================

Please let me know in the comments bellow what is your take on all of this.
Unlike the Vulkan games, I cannot do proper Frame Synchronization here, due to how IDTech5 works - explained above - but I did try to synchronize all the components and part of the game that I could, namely video playback and input:) (I know keyboard is still pending)
Please WATCH the video in 3D and let me know, IN THE STATE showed in the video, would you play Wolfenstein: The New Order with this with new Stereo3D Fix?

Cheers,
Helifax

:!: :!: :!:
UPDATE: 15/04/2021 on Wolfentein: The Old Blood :woot
:!: :!: :!:

:!: All the features and improvements from the fix for Wolfenstein: The New Order ARE USED for the Wolfenstein: The Old Blood fix :mrgreen:

- Stereo3D rendering... OBVIOUSLY :roll:
- Custom Weapon Depth
- Dominant Eye - for aiming
- 30 FPS video cutscenes perfectly synchronized and in stereo3D.
- Mouse Input synchronization.
- All the Stereo3D fixes and improvements (like NO MORE SHAKING DECALS ^_^)
- etc, etc, etc...

Like before, here are a few screenshots, from the video below :)

YOUTUBE Video of one of the later missions called "Escape". (from Castle Wolfenstein, if you played the game before ^_^). :lol:
https://youtu.be/2Guwwu-JJpI
(And if you watched the video and liked, at least leave a "Like" on Youtube :D Thanks)

Hope you like it :)

Cheers Helifax
Last edited by helifax on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: [OGL3DVision] Wolfenstein: The New Order in 2021 [Work in Progress...]

Post by thebigdogma »

Oh, yeah!!! I've made good progress in Wolf 2 and am still so blown away... easily pumped for more/improved S3D Wolf goodness! :woot
Last edited by thebigdogma on Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Re: [OGL3DVision] Wolfenstein: The New Order in 2021 [Work in Progress...]

Post by Tullebob »

Congratulations on this fine work, Helifax! The video looks great. Will surely play. Have waited for many years to play this in 3dv :) Could not play the old fix due to strong motion sickness, but with this 60fps smoothness, that will not be a problem. Thank you!
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: [OGL3DVision] Wolfenstein: The New Order "Remastered" Stereo3D [Work in Progress...]

Post by Lysander »

O f course I would play it! You are again making something I thought was lost, possible again. I bought the bundle a year ago without realising it was stuck at 30fps, which I just couldn't stomach. But if I can get 60 - two amazing games added to the backlog?! Hell yeah!
The video looks amazing! I'm not too huge on the dominant-eye aiming, but whatever. This is amazing news!
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Re: [OGL3DVision] Wolfenstein: The New Order "Remastered" Stereo3D [Work in Progress...]

Post by Zappologist »

Wow, Helifax, this is so great to hear! (will check the video later)

New World Order and Old Blood are perhaps the only games I played in 2D these past decade, as I like single player games and there is such a scarcity of good ones nowadays. It would be quite exciting to play this saga in glorious 3D at some point.( I imagine your work on NWO will benefit Old Blood as well, right?)
It's also very interesting every time to read your take on all things 3D, and to be part of the design process via these "developer diaries" that you often share with us.

I have a general question for 4K OLED TV users. Anyone knows if the OGL wrapper, and the VK3DV wrapper have any way of upscaling, to avoid rendering at 4K resolution? I would hate to miss out on any of these fixes just because I use this TV.
The only game I was able to try so far was Kai's glorious fix for No Man's Sky (now broken by an update), and it was ok. I don't remember exactly, but I think I was able to set the resolution to 1080p and it was still working on the 4K TV, probably having something to do with how VK3DV works in windowed mode.
So for VK3DV we might be ok, but I'm a little worried about the OGL wrapper.

Thank you Helifax for your unparalleled work in this special sector. There are so few exciting things about 3D nowadays, and your updates are definitely the highlight of the day, I'm sure for many of us.
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

This would be great, never finished the game so I'll try it again for sure with all the improvements.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Zappologist wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 am ( I imagine your work on NWO will benefit Old Blood as well, right?)
All the new things should in theory work on Old Blood as well as any game, including Vulkan games. I want to port to VK3DVision some of the things from here.
This ofc means, I will have to update/redo that fix as well in the future at some point. But one game at a time :D
Zappologist wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 am I have a general question for 4K OLED TV users. Anyone knows if the OGL wrapper, and the VK3DV wrapper have any way of upscaling, to avoid rendering at 4K resolution? I would hate to miss out on any of these fixes just because I use this TV.
The only game I was able to try so far was Kai's glorious fix for No Man's Sky (now broken by an update), and it was ok. I don't remember exactly, but I think I was able to set the resolution to 1080p and it was still working on the 4K TV, probably having something to do with how VK3DV works in windowed mode.
So for VK3DV we might be ok, but I'm a little worried about the OGL wrapper.

Thank you Helifax for your unparalleled work in this special sector. There are so few exciting things about 3D nowadays, and your updates are definitely the highlight of the day, I'm sure for many of us.
OGL3DVision wrapper & Vk3DVision do not have any upscaling method. There is a SBS or TB format in both however. The Vk3DVision one is much polished with better results, than the OGL3DVision one, but both work.
As for this game, I am not sure why you would need to upscale. This game can work very well at native 4K. I haven't tried it, but based on the GPU usage, I don't think it will be a problem.
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Shift-E »

awesome news, excited that Custom Weapons Depth is being added! I poked around in the old fix's ini last week, and didn't see any options to customize convergence when aiming with a controller so was unsure how it might work - but now I know it will work like your Colossus fix. Excited to play through this franchise in 3D, thanks for revisiting these!
Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

Thanks for the reply, Helifax.
Indeed, totally forgot about the "good old" SBS/TB option which often comes to our rescue.

Regarding Old Blood, just to clarify I did not suggest/request anything. I am already too grateful for everything you do. I was just curious whether your work on revisiting New World Order might simply be "ported" to Old Blood, without any additional work. Seems it's not the case however, so forget about it. (also, cannot remember now, but there might be some of these Wolfenstein games which are not good enough to be worthy of a fix? Maybe even Old blood? and another one with women protagonists that did not get good reviews?)

Makes me laugh how you say: Hey, why not game in 4K 3D? You are of course correct, OGL and VK renderers have much less overhead, and do not suffer from the 3-core bug, but it's still funny to think about gaming in 4K 3D. In most of the cases it's simply impossible.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Zappologist wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am Thanks for the reply, Helifax.
Indeed, totally forgot about the "good old" SBS/TB option which often comes to our rescue.

Regarding Old Blood, just to clarify I did not suggest/request anything. I am already too grateful for everything you do. I was just curious whether your work on revisiting New World Order might simply be "ported" to Old Blood, without any additional work. Seems it's not the case however, so forget about it. (also, cannot remember now, but there might be some of these Wolfenstein games which are not good enough to be worthy of a fix? Maybe even Old blood? and another one with women protagonists that did not get good reviews?)

Makes me laugh how you say: Hey, why not game in 4K 3D? You are of course correct, OGL and VK renderers have much less overhead, and do not suffer from the 3-core bug, but it's still funny to think about gaming in 4K 3D. In most of the cases it's simply impossible.
For Old Blood, most of the work can be ported. Only the shader hashes are different, so I will need to hunt them etc.
It is from scratch because I will start with a clean slate :)
I do want to fix it as well, so nothing to worry about.

The only Wolfenstein game that wasn't as great according to the media is Wolfenstein Young Blood - where you get to play the daughters of BJ :)
I want to fix that game as well, as it uses RTX :) It would be the first RTX 3D Vision game in existence :) now that I proved that DLSS could work in 3D (Wolf 2 doesn't uses DLSS, but another technique that still rely on the Tensor Cores - Nvidia Adapting Sampling).
I think all new Wolfenstein games are awesome, New Order, Old Blood, The New Colossus and even Youngblood for the Co-op part and some levels and designs and while the story is not as great it still is awesome.

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

It would definitely be interesting to check out ray-tracing in 3D. I don't really care that much about the bad story and acting in Youngblood if the gameplay is ok. What discourages me most is respawning enemies and silly bullet-type/armor-type matching but if it's not that bad, the 3D might entice me enough to play through it, or at least part of it.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Lysander wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:51 am It would definitely be interesting to check out ray-tracing in 3D. I don't really care that much about the bad story and acting in Youngblood if the gameplay is ok. What discourages me most is respawning enemies and silly bullet-type/armor-type matching but if it's not that bad, the 3D might entice me enough to play through it, or at least part of it.
It is still a Wolfenstein game in every aspect :)
But it will be a while until I will look at it :) In the meantime go and finish Wolf 2 :P or wait for New Order fix and then go Wolf 2 :P :lol:
I don't know how RTX will play in Stereo3D since no one has done it, not in VR, not on a monitor:D It is a BIG unknown currently :D Maybe it will work or maybe not ;)

helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: [OGL3DVision] Wolfenstein: The New Order "Remastered" Stereo3D

Post by helifax »

I forgot how awesome this game really is!

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
The "Remastered" Stereo3D (3DVision and SBB/TB) fix for Wolfenstein: The New Order is up!
http://3dsurroundgaming.com/OpenGL3DVis ... heneworder
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

This was not a very easy one to re-make, as stated above:) and mostly because of the very old ID5Tech engine and the limitations there.
However, what you saw in the video, is what you get :)

I have fully played the game again from 0 - 100% and fixed all the issues I encountered/saw.
Read theReadme.pdf as it should explain what is what :lol:

Give it a go and do let me know what you think ;)
Should I look at Wolfenstein: The Old Blood next? :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Last edited by helifax on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Even if i am completely NOT interested in WOLFENSTEIN as this is (yeah i am GERMAN) beyond my taste of a game content..... (there should be NO GAME using this "scene" or "motive" as base....(
https://youtu.be/lbB9NCYzQVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkuf3lXmopA))

YOU have done a REALLY great job on fixing things no one of us are able to, THNAK YOU!!!!!!!!!
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Losti wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:34 pm Even if i am completely NOT interested in WOLFENSTEIN as this is (yeah i am GERMAN) beyond my taste of a game content..... (there should be NO GAME using this "scene" or "motive" as base....(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkuf3lXmopA))

YOU have done a REALLY great job on fixing things no one of us are able to, THNAK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I can totally understand. What I like about the new Wolf games is the fact they managed to mix this bland of "seriousness" with "completely ridicule" :)
For the game characters it's all serious, but for the player it's all just funny. At least that's why I always saw the Wolf games - starting with the "1st" First Person Shooter - Wolf3D :)
I also liked the idea of an Alternative Universe and what If :)
In the end of the day, it's is another shooter with some interesting fictional concepts for story, but it's the actual Gun-play that I enjoy :) Wolf games are the opposite of what Doom games are :lol:
They have a lot in common, but one relies on fast pacing and shooting everything, while the other (Wolf) tackles a more methodical and stealth approach :)

Did you know that Wolfesentein:3D influenced a lot of games? Deus: Ex for example and many others:)
In case you haven't seen it. I highly recommend it as it very educational:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-0zvMry1Hc

For me personally, I don't care what the opposing force is: It could have been Aliens from Outer space, or whatever. I just like the action and the gameplay it provides ^_^
I don't know, I always like Wolf games since Wolf:3D was I think the second game I ever played :D The first being One Must Fall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15bvpznQP5M

(I wonder how many people here actually have played this game :lol: )

Cheers and Thank You!

thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

I started the Wolf franchise with the original, green-screen, Apple 2 game when I was a kid... it had actual voice synthesis!!! Blew my brothers and I away... played every game in the series since. :D
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

This "remaster" is awesome! Booted it up to test just now. Played for a good bit. No more motion sickness :) can finally play this in 3dv :) Will play this one before Wolf 2 :) Thanks so much :)
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

what the hell, this is already done?! LOL, Helifax, do you not rest??? :D I can't keep up! I will start the download now and check it out :D Thanks!
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

helifax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm I don't know, I always like Wolf games since Wolf:3D was I think the second game I ever played :D The first being One Must Fall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15bvpznQP5M

(I wonder how many people here actually have played this game :lol: )

Cheers and Thank You!
I have played it :-) :3D ^^
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Lysander wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:41 pm what the hell, this is already done?! LOL, Helifax, do you not rest??? :D I can't keep up! I will start the download now and check it out :D Thanks!
I was on vacation for the week :D
And after fixing Wolf 2 and playing it, I wanted to replay Wolf 1 :D So... I had to do it :D
I will take a look at Old Blood next, hopefully... but this will probably take a bit more time... Or who knows?! Depends how easy it is to redo that fix :lol:

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

That's great.

The fix is excellent. But I get significant frame drops in open areas - any tips on performance tweaks, as this game doesnt have too many graphical options? I guess it's the old engine. It's butter smooth indoors.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Lysander wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:36 am That's great.

The fix is excellent. But I get significant frame drops in open areas - any tips on performance tweaks, as this game doesnt have too many graphical options? I guess it's the old engine. It's butter smooth indoors.
That is the game and ID5Tech for you.
The bottleneck of that engine is the VT (Virtual Texture) Streaming Engine. The more textures it wants to use the bigger the CPU bottleneck will be.
I normally run it at 60 FPS with some dips to 45 in some locations, but 95% it is 60 FPS.
I don't know what else can be done about it sadly :(

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

It's ok, what I tried was great even with the dips. It's basically a game I can play now, thanks! 😁
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

I have played Wolf 1 now from the beginning until the end of the Asylum level, where I encounter this game breaking bug (https://steamcommunity.com/app/201810/d ... 766156365/), where the drones glitch so that it is not possible to progress further. I know this is not due to the 3d fix as such. I have not tried the suggested remedy yet. I assume that will have to be done by first deactivating 3d?

Otherwise this fix is very pleasurable. I game 3d using 1080p and so far it has been smooth as butter for me. Also very funny this game. LOL the Nazis are very Evil :)
Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

Just tested the fix now, wooow, nice feeling to finally play this great game in 3D for the first time.
Congratulatios Helifax on your fix, and really, on the OGL wrapper in general, incredible piece of software.
I've never used it successfully in the past due to eye desync issues, but messing around with it now makes me better appreciate the work behind it.

Now, some feedback, mainly focused on 4K TV owners:
- On my sytem (SLI 2080Ti, i9 10900kf, on 425.31 driver) playing in 4K is problematic, as the game only goes up to 45fps max, so there is some serious eye desync. I played the first 30 minutes like this, but I got a migraine.
- The alterate rendering modes come to our rescue: SBS/TB can be used, and in this mode plus changing resolution to 1080p, the game finally shows 60fps in the overlay, when not moving. When actually playing, this fluctuates a bit, so there is a little desync, but it approaches the near flawless situation of the VK wrapper without frame sync, as seen in No Man's Sky).
This makes the fix an utter success from my point of view, and Helifax deserves the highest accolades for this remaster, giving new life to these vintage games that don't seem to have aged a bit.

Now, there are a few small caveats, probably owing to the fact that Helifax does not own hardware with SBS/TB capabilities. I had to spend a few hours to get this alternate mode working, and I think there is something wrong with how this mode has been developed.
I'll try to give some details, in case Helifax wants to do something about it:

1. Default 3D values are totally wrong for my setup, and it would be good to change them
When starting the game in alternate mode (I used 1, and 4, to test) the game appears totally flat. (It just hits me! This problem might have prevented me from playing the Doom game, I thought the wrapper/fix was busted in SBS mode and at that time I did not have time to investigate further. Ended up playing it in 2D :( )

2. The step/multiplier for changing separation/convergence are wrong/too low
When using Ctrl+F2 to increase separation, or Ctrl +F4 to increase convergence, nothing seems to happen. I finally confirmed via the overlay that the values are changing, but it takes too much time. I think the multiplier should be increased, so that it does not take 5 minutes to go from the default convergence of 0.06 to 16.

3. The separation and convergence categories might have been mixed up
It feels like increasing separation had the most effect on the 3D strenght, and that usually is the case with the convergence not depth. Also "separation" goes up to 1000, while "convergence" I could only get to 16 I think, it took too long and it did not seem to change much. (the ini calls the first value "separation", but the overlay calls it "depth")

4. Upper limit is not enough for a TV setup
I was only able to increase "separation" up to 1000. It started to be ok, but nowhere near enough. If "separation" is indeed in fact "convergence", we need to increase the accepted value.

5. F1 hotkey for cinematic toggle resets the "convergence" to 16
This is probably less important, if "convergence" is in fact the separation/depth setting. If 16 is 100% depth, then it's no biggie.

I will continue testing, to see what happens if I manually chose some values directly in the ini, to break the 1000 separation, and 16 convergence, limits.
If I can get more convergence somehow and find a sweetspot, I will finally enjoy this game in glorious 3D.
And that means that I can return to Doom as well, which would be extra gravy (unless Doom does not benefit from the ID5Tweaker technique used in the remaster, in which case we should wait to see if it gets the same treatment at some point - altought between me, you, and the rest of us poor schmucks, don't waste your time Helifax with anything that is not RDR2 ... LOL)
Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

UPDATE: The 1000 limit was just something happening in the overlay, if you start with a low value. If I start from a higher value (like 1200) in the ini, manually changing this value past 1200 is allowed and visible in the overlay.
The main thing is that the values can be manually set in the ini, once you find some good ones, which can be a bit tough in-game, due to the very low step/multiplier, and the confusion about which value is the depth and which is the convergence. I've found that about 1100 and 19 is strong enough for my setup.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Tullebob wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:46 am I have played Wolf 1 now from the beginning until the end of the Asylum level, where I encounter this game breaking bug (https://steamcommunity.com/app/201810/d ... 766156365/), where the drones glitch so that it is not possible to progress further. I know this is not due to the 3d fix as such. I have not tried the suggested remedy yet. I assume that will have to be done by first deactivating 3d?

Otherwise this fix is very pleasurable. I game 3d using 1080p and so far it has been smooth as butter for me. Also very funny this game. LOL the Nazis are very Evil :)
Did you check the Readme? I already say about it this and other issues I''ve seen.
You can use numpad * to disable ID5Tweaker in that scene. The game will go back to 30FPS ofc... But it's one fight that you can do in 2D :)
Last edited by helifax on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Zappologist wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:15 am UPDATE: The 1000 limit was just something happening in the overlay, if you start with a low value. If I start from a higher value (like 1200) in the ini, manually changing this value past 1200 is allowed and visible in the overlay.
The main thing is that the values can be manually set in the ini, once you find some good ones, which can be a bit tough in-game, due to the very low step/multiplier, and the confusion about which value is the depth and which is the convergence. I've found that about 1100 and 19 is strong enough for my setup.
Yeah, I never actually tried this in SBS mode. I remember SBS mode being very experimental. I don't have an actual display to test it with:)

For the sync issue that you are seeing in this mode use the F11 key to flip the sync. See if this makes a difference. You should get good Synchronization even at 30 FPS. I can play the game at 30FPS with the new sync mechanism and I don't have any synchronization issues.
As for what values should be in SBS/TB I have no idea :D Try and see what works for you :)

Also I bet the bug comes from the Dominant Eye. Try to set it MONO_EYE and see if it fixes the low values that you are seeing ;) I think the 3D values should work fine for both 3DVision and SBS

There is a reason Vk3DVision works a ton better and OGL3DVision doesn't ;) And that is because all the lessons learnt here were applied there. Vk3DVision was developed with 3D/SBS/TB/VR in mind from the beginning. In OGL3DVision SBS/TB mode was slapped on top with duct-tape :D :lol:
To fix all the bugs that I know of, I should basically re-write it from zero and change the design of the software. However, I don't think I will do that as there aren't newer games released in OpenGL since now we have Vulkan ;)

PS: As for DOOM(2016) you should definitely grab the Vulkan version of the fix 8-)

PPS: Separation = Depth. Convergence is convergence and the values are not flipped.

Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

Ah, sorry. Must have missed that in the readme. Great stuff, thank you. Will resume killing Nazi robots tonight then!
Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

Helifax, thanks for the tip about the Dominant Eye setting. Indeed, putting it back to Mono/Default changed the depth/convergence behaviour (and allowed me to start headshooting nazis when zoomed, as I'm used to aim between the iron sights). Now, the "separation" value I feel good with is about 500 instead of 1000.
However, I'm still not sure about the depth/cenvergence terms. It sure looks to me like what you call "depth/separation" actually changes the convergence.

Another hint of this, besides merely my feeling, is that your default ini file mentions the below:
AlternativeView_Separation = 100 ; Separation as percentage 0-100%
Now, when I read this, before starting to mess around with the setting in game, what I understood was that the default value "100" is equivalent to Nvidia 3DVision depth slider being fully on, 100% depth. But if you leave this at 100 and you use one of the alternate modes, the game is totally flat. It needs a value of about 500 when using StereoDominantEye MONO_EYE, and about 1000!!! for the other eye settings.
Another hint is the fact that the convergence value does not seem to impact much. I spent 2 minutes to move it manualy from 19 to 16 and I did not perceive much difference, maybe a bit more flatness but it's very hard to say because the changes are too slow.
I will make more tests, and I think if other SBS users try this they might have the same feedback.

Is there any way to change the step/multiplier value assigned to the manual hotkeys? It would be much easier to set things up if it went faster. Or even better: if I tab out and change the values in the ini, can I apply them on the fly by pressing F11/F10 or something? It takes a while to restart the game.

In any case, I found great values in 500 depth and 19 conv, and will not spend more time now, because the game is too awesome and I just want to keep playing. I cannot believe how you worked your magic and leveraged the ID5Tweaker to give us this incredible remaster. Now this game is mandatory playing. And such a great game!
Thank you Helifax for your skill and generosity. You are a boss!
VegetaSuperSaiyan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by VegetaSuperSaiyan »

Nice greatly appreciated!
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Zappologist wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:20 am Helifax, thanks for the tip about the Dominant Eye setting. Indeed, putting it back to Mono/Default changed the depth/convergence behaviour (and allowed me to start headshooting nazis when zoomed, as I'm used to aim between the iron sights). Now, the "separation" value I feel good with is about 500 instead of 1000.
However, I'm still not sure about the depth/cenvergence terms. It sure looks to me like what you call "depth/separation" actually changes the convergence.

Another hint of this, besides merely my feeling, is that your default ini file mentions the below:
AlternativeView_Separation = 100 ; Separation as percentage 0-100%
Now, when I read this, before starting to mess around with the setting in game, what I understood was that the default value "100" is equivalent to Nvidia 3DVision depth slider being fully on, 100% depth. But if you leave this at 100 and you use one of the alternate modes, the game is totally flat. It needs a value of about 500 when using StereoDominantEye MONO_EYE, and about 1000!!! for the other eye settings.
Another hint is the fact that the convergence value does not seem to impact much. I spent 2 minutes to move it manualy from 19 to 16 and I did not perceive much difference, maybe a bit more flatness but it's very hard to say because the changes are too slow.
I will make more tests, and I think if other SBS users try this they might have the same feedback.

Is there any way to change the step/multiplier value assigned to the manual hotkeys? It would be much easier to set things up if it went faster. Or even better: if I tab out and change the values in the ini, can I apply them on the fly by pressing F11/F10 or something? It takes a while to restart the game.

In any case, I found great values in 500 depth and 19 conv, and will not spend more time now, because the game is too awesome and I just want to keep playing. I cannot believe how you worked your magic and leveraged the ID5Tweaker to give us this incredible remaster. Now this game is mandatory playing. And such a great game!
Thank you Helifax for your skill and generosity. You are a boss!
I assure you that Convergence and Separation work as intended. They aren't flipped and they work as they should.
That is correct if you use a regular binocular projection starting from the centered view - aka 3D Vision you need half of the displacement to the left and half to the right. For a dominant eye you need full displacement either to L or R based on the Dominant Eye.
I kinda expected a bug to be present there for SBS.
I think there are other bugs here... Because you should get the same results in SBS as you do in 3D Vision, as you have seen in Vk3DVision.
I will check the SBS mode later and see where the bug is ::)

Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

Thanks Helifax. No need to spend time on this on my behalf. This wrapper is used for just a few games I think, and the SBS/TB users are rare. WIth my findings posted here people will have enough to solve this issue themselves I think.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how you managed to develop this alternate mode, perfectly functional with just a few quirks, without being able to test it properly. You truly are a 3D guru, man!
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

@Zappologist
I pushed a new version that should fix the problem in SBS. There was a bug in the formula there. I did fix it for Vk3DVision, but never for OGL3DVision.
I correctly set the values the fix should use for SBS or TB. All you have to do now, is simply enable it and it should work out of the box.
Once in-game you should also FLIP the Synchronization with F11 for the Mouse. I have no idea why, but for 3DVision I need to flip it :)

Please give it a test and let me know :)
It is the same link:)

Cheers!

thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

Thanks Helifax! I did a quick check through the first area and it is so smooth!

And, in answer to your Old Blood question... "Yes!" :D
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Zappologist wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:13 pm Thanks Helifax. No need to spend time on this on my behalf. This wrapper is used for just a few games I think, and the SBS/TB users are rare. WIth my findings posted here people will have enough to solve this issue themselves I think.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how you managed to develop this alternate mode, perfectly functional with just a few quirks, without being able to test it properly. You truly are a 3D guru, man!
Did you manage to try the new updated fix with the new version of OGL3DVision? I think I have fixed the issue you were having :) All you need to do is to change the "AlternativeMode" in the ini file.
From my brief testing and comparison, 3DVision and SBS generates the same Stereo3D Image now ;)

The way I did it was to take a screenshot in 3DVision and then use my brain and math to implement SBS until I get the same exact result ;) I still don't have hardware for SBS but I can view images from full SBS (3DVision) and my implementation and compare :D
That's how I did it :D

Please do let me know, if the new version works "out of the box" :D
Cheers!

Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

Helifax, thanks for the new version. The default values are much better now. The separation is changing a little faster now, or so it seems to me. I decreased it, and now it's clear that it is indeed separation/depth, not convergence.
The convergence setting however still moves too slowly to be useful, so I left the default value then tweaked the separation to adjust 3D strength to my liking.
Normally, for 3D Vision it's the other way around, I leave separation at 100% then tweak the convergence. But who the hell cares, the game looks spectacular and I cannot stop playing. That's saying a lot, from an old fart like me who's seen everything.

Thank you for this remaster. It has gave me the opportunity to lay this game in 3D for the first time.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Zappologist wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:30 pm Helifax, thanks for the new version. The default values are much better now. The separation is changing a little faster now, or so it seems to me. I decreased it, and now it's clear that it is indeed separation/depth, not convergence.
The convergence setting however still moves too slowly to be useful, so I left the default value then tweaked the separation to adjust 3D strength to my liking.
Normally, for 3D Vision it's the other way around, I leave separation at 100% then tweak the convergence. But who the hell cares, the game looks spectacular and I cannot stop playing. That's saying a lot, from an old fart like me who's seen everything.

Thank you for this remaster. It has gave me the opportunity to lay this game in 3D for the first time.
Very Happy to hear this! :woot

The problem with convergence is that most game use a World Depth between 0 and 1 or 10. This game has a depth between 0 and 1000 :mrgreen:
I agree that the slider increments very slow for this game :( Unfortunately, there is no way for me to predict how the game handles the World Depth (I can do this by adding code and such), but I opted for a more generic approach as I have only seen this in this game & Old Blood.
However! Once you find out the convergence you like you can Edit "3DVisionWrapper.ini" and change either "AlternativeView_Convergence" for SBS or "DefaultConvergence" for 3DVision.
The value should be used on the next run ;)

Hope this helps you don't go through all the hassle of changing it every time ;)

Cheers!

PS:
I am looking into decreasing the CPU overhead OGL3DVision adds and maybe getting a few EXTRA frames. Not sure how much I can do here, but I think I have a few tricks remaining ;)
Will have a new version for PERFORMANCE testing shortly :D :geek:
Remember, OGL3DVision was the most Experimental thing ever ;) Adding Stereo3D Rendering to an API that had no support ^_^, so Performance was never the FIRST thing to consider :) (Unlike Vk3DVision, where I wanted Performance and correct Stereo3D, above else ^_^).

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Oh, awesome, I will check it out once you release. Any extra frames are welcome!
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

So... Doing a bit more testing and debugging and "crunching some numbers", I found a few issues with the current fix :(
I will publish a new updated FIX very very sooon!

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”