The Evil Within 1 on Win10 3DV - does it work?

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

The Evil Within 1 on Win10 3DV - does it work?

Post by Lysander »

Hi,

I decided to start a thread because there are existing EW2 threads but my problem is with EW1.
So I still can't get this game to work. I got the demo to trigger the non-3DV modes (but not 3DV) and yesterday I bought the full game but I can't get past step 7 of the instructions in 3DFM - the game does indeed go to desktop, but it disappears from the taskbar and list of apps when I Alt-Tab - it's like it crashes but I still see it in Task Manager and I can't run it again until I kill it. So I cannot alt+tab back to it as per the instructions.

Has anyone had success with this on Win10 + 3DV? At least if I know it's possible to get it to run in this setup I know I'm not chasing some unreachable goal. My setup is in the signature.

thanks
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: The Evil Within 1 on Win10 3DV - does it work?

Post by Pauldusler »

Just tested and it still works. After the game minimized to the desktop it's normal that it's not shown in the taskbar. Then press and hold Alt + Tab and choose any other application currently running. Now press and hold alt + tab again and choose The Evil Within icon. Then press Alt + Enter.

This method only works if your desktop resolution is different from your ingame resolution. That's why Helifax instructs us to start the game in 2D first and choose 1680x1050 first. Probably he tested the game on a full hd display - so he chose the next lower ingame resolution which is 1680x1050. You can also set any other ingame resolution - for example you can leave ingame resolution at 2560x1440. But then you have to lower your desktop resolution to e.g. 1920x1080 to make it different from the ingame resolution. Maybe this is even easier because you can automatically lower the desktop resolution on game start via 3DFM profile settings.

Here's a video how it worked for me: http://fixmanager.markus-guendert.de/do ... within.mp4
The video unfortunately didn't record in stereo 3D - maybe the recording software got confused in this game but in the end 3D kicked in on my 3D Vision monitor.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Hmmmm, yeah, I did all that, my desktop is at 1080p. I simply dont see the app when i alt+tab :(
At least it's good that it works, I'll maybe turn some apps off, tinker more. U use steam version?

Thx
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

GOT IT!

I manually set these properties in the "the evil withinConfig.cfg" file to these values:

r_windowHeight "1080"
r_windowWidth "1920"
r_fullscreen "1"

and it works!

Original instructions in 3DFM did not work for me, when game minimized to desktop, I could hear the sounds and move around the menu but there was no picture - I just saw my Windows screen with the other apps. If I alt-tabbed to EvilWithin, Alt+Enter went into black screen but then back to the desktop. If I alt-tabbed to another app as per instructions, I lost the sound and app no longer appeared on the app-list BUT the process was still running. After updating the values in the cfg file to the above, the app no longer disappears and I can alt-tab back to it as per 3DFM instructions. Weird, but I finally got it, maybe it'll help someone else :D

cheers guys and thx for all the help

some other values just for reference:

win_ypos "0"
win_xpos "0"
in_joystick "1"
r_windowPosY "31"
r_windowPosX "8"
r_windowHeight "1080"
r_windowWidth "1920"
r_fullscreen "1"
r_mode "16"
r_screenGrainAmount "1"
con_IconWindowY "24"
con_IconWindowX "24"
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

Lysander wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:46 pm GOT IT!

I manually set these properties in the "the evil withinConfig.cfg" file to these values:

r_windowHeight "1080"
r_windowWidth "1920"
r_fullscreen "1"

and it works!

Original instructions in 3DFM did not work for me, when game minimized to desktop, I could hear the sounds and move around the menu but there was no picture - I just saw my Windows screen with the other apps. If I alt-tabbed to EvilWithin, Alt+Enter went into black screen but then back to the desktop. If I alt-tabbed to another app as per instructions, I lost the sound and app no longer appeared on the app-list BUT the process was still running. After updating the values in the cfg file to the above, the app no longer disappears and I can alt-tab back to it as per 3DFM instructions. Weird, but I finally got it, maybe it'll help someone else :D

cheers guys and thx for all the help

some other values just for reference:

win_ypos "0"
win_xpos "0"
in_joystick "1"
r_windowPosY "31"
r_windowPosX "8"
r_windowHeight "1080"
r_windowWidth "1920"
r_fullscreen "1"
r_mode "16"
r_screenGrainAmount "1"
con_IconWindowY "24"
con_IconWindowX "24"

I've had no luck with TEW to run in 3D, I use 3DTV Play. I have my desktop set to 1280x720, and I've tried changing windowHeight, windowWidth to match my desktop of 1280x720.

Is tabbing out of the game what actually triggers 3D, or setting your resolution higher first then changing it to lower? This thread is a little confusing.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

It's confusing, but I guess those instructions worked for most people. My main problem was the app was just closing when I alt+entered, until I changed that file - not sure what did it, the resolution or fullscreen=1. I've been trying this game on and off for like 2 months now lol

What triggers 3D for me is the alt+enter, which makes it fullscreen. So right now I do:

1. Run 3D via 3DFM
2. When game goes to desktop, alt+tab to something else
3. Alt+tab to EvilWithin
4. Alt+Enter to fullscreen

But remember, what I'm doing is for 3D Vision. Looks like for SBS and other non-3D Vision modes you don't have to do the alt+tabbing. I'm not sure what 3DTV play is.
Feisty_Fernando

Lysander wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:07 pm It's confusing, but I guess those instructions worked for most people. My main problem was the app was just closing when I alt+entered, until I changed that file - not sure what did it, the resolution or fullscreen=1. I've been trying this game on and off for like 2 months now lol

What triggers 3D for me is the alt+enter, which makes it fullscreen. So right now I do:

1. Run 3D via 3DFM
2. When game goes to desktop, alt+tab to something else
3. Alt+tab to EvilWithin
4. Alt+Enter to fullscreen

But remember, what I'm doing is for 3D Vision. Looks like for SBS and other non-3D Vision modes you don't have to do the alt+tabbing. I'm not sure what 3DTV play is.
It's a tool from nvidia to play games in 3D on a 3DTV, but locked at 720p. I have a 3DV monitor but I can't sit too close to them or bad eye strain. I can get most games with fixes running in 3D just fine except a small handful like TEW
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Feisty_Fernando wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:56 am It's a tool from nvidia to play games in 3D on a 3DTV, but locked at 720p. I have a 3DV monitor but I can't sit too close to them or bad eye strain. I can get most games with fixes running in 3D just fine except a small handful like TEW
Sorry man, don't know what to tell you. This game was the biggest b**** to get running but when Pauldusler confirmed it works for him, I knew it was possible so didn't give up. Hope it runs for you eventually :D
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

The link to the original Helifax fullscreen thread
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... ith-dhr-f/

Feisty_Fernando wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:32 pm I've had no luck with TEW to run in 3D, I use 3DTV Play. I have my desktop set to 1280x720, and I've tried changing windowHeight, windowWidth to match my desktop of 1280x720.

Is tabbing out of the game what actually triggers 3D, or setting your resolution higher first then changing it to lower? This thread is a little confusing.
The main problem with this game is that it was using an IdTech Engine with A Hybrid renderer. Up until this time IdTech Engines were OpenGL only. With this game, the engine launched in OpenGL but rendered using both OpenGl/DirectX,
thus the exclusive fullscreen option needed for 3D Vision 120Hz displays was not being created properly during the game launch/window creation.

Helifax found a way to trick it, which is only needed for 120Hz 3D Vision displays.

The solution for you, would be to edit the d3dx.ini or to set the resolution as needed in-game
In the "Read Me" of the fix
DHR wrote:NOTE: THIS GAME WILL ONLY RUN IN NVIDIA CHECKERBOARD, SBS AND TB 3DMODE.
NOTE2: USE AC3 PROFILE TO ENABLE 3D
So set the ini to SbS or O/U or Checkerboard

; x7 is used by the 3DVision2SBS custom shader. To use, find the [Present]
; section below and uncomment the 'run = CustomShader3DVision2SBS' line.
; 0 = Regular 3D Vision
; 1 = Reversed 3D Vision
; 2 = Side by Side
; 3 = Reversed Side by Side
; 4 = Top and Bottom
; 5 = Reversed Top and Bottom
x7 = 5 <------ set to desired format here, press the key once while in game, 3DMigoto supports 1080 resolution, so try that

If you still have problems, list your display model, driver # and OS version
Feisty_Fernando

If I up the resolution to 1080p, 3D will drop to 24Hz with 3DTV Play. Believe it or not this game ran in 3D natively without any driver fussing/adjustment on the Avegant Glyph but I can't do optics that close to my eyes very often. If I install the game again I will give it a try. Thanks for the info.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Feisty_Fernando wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 am If I up the resolution to 1080p, 3D will drop to 24Hz with 3DTV Play.
Hmm, 3DMigoto should allow you to surpass the 24Hz limitation of 3DTV Play or if you have a Passive display, you should really be using an EDID override.
Feisty_Fernando

3DNovice wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:49 pm
Feisty_Fernando wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 am If I up the resolution to 1080p, 3D will drop to 24Hz with 3DTV Play.
Hmm, 3DMigoto should allow you to surpass the 24Hz limitation of 3DTV Play or if you have a Passive display, you should really be using an EDID override.
I usually run windows and play games at 720p, so if I ever try 3DV I keep it at 720p for 60Hz with 3DTV Play. I didn't think there was a way to force 3DTV Play to run 1080p at whatever refresh rate you wanted, only 24Hz in 3D. It's an active plasma 3DTV.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Check your owner's manual for supported formats, it's possible that it might support Checkerboard, especially if it's a Samsung.
It might be called something other than Checkerboard, like pixel something or other.
If so, in NVCP 3D panel, use the drop down menu to choose Checkerboard.
You might even need to rename the HDMI input or use a specific input port. (again, check your owner's manual)

I know on my LG Passive 720P never looked very good, since it was converted to 1080i Line Interlaced.
Anyhow, with dx11 games, you can use 3D Migoto to get 1080i@60 SbS or O/U, which should be better than 720, but perhaps not on your Plasma? Dunno

There's also a hack that a user posted for 1080 above the 24Hz 3DTV Play limitation. I'll find the post and link it.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

24Hz 3DTV Play workaround for what I assume is 1080P Frame Packed? I haven't tried it yet

Do as this poster does
https://youtu.be/NFmdqSHH5R8

His reddit post about his method
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... hout_3dtv/

Found in this thread ----->> viewtopic.php?f=181&t=25191
Feisty_Fernando

3DNovice wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:28 pm
; x7 is used by the 3DVision2SBS custom shader. To use, find the [Present]
; section below and uncomment the 'run = CustomShader3DVision2SBS' line.
; 0 = Regular 3D Vision
; 1 = Reversed 3D Vision
; 2 = Side by Side
; 3 = Reversed Side by Side
; 4 = Top and Bottom
; 5 = Reversed Top and Bottom
x7 = 5 <------ set to desired format here, press the key once while in game, 3DMigoto supports 1080 resolution, so try that

I got it running in 3DTV Play, it was a process and separation/convergence was initially locked (both now set to 1 in d3dx). The d3dx doesn't have the 0-5 options listed above, it's an older version but it does have the uncommented CustomShader3DVision2SBS' line. My panasonic plasma was picky, I normally have to turn 3D on with the remote after enabling it in 3DFM, and it presents a 2D to 3D conversion option for ps3, switch,etc. My 3DTV would only permit me to engage 3D(tab/reverse/interlaced/sbs F11 options) if I turned on the 3D in 3DFM first whilst showing 3DTV Play listed in the nvcp and apply, then turn on 3D for tv with remote, and finally switch the 3D in nvcp to checkerboard and apply and clicking Play 3D in 3DFM. It's a strange process and it only works specifically in that order otherwise the tv only gives me 2D to 3D convert option.

When the game loads up a 2nd time, it keeps your F11 preset and I had full control over separation and convergence after the d3dx edit. One caveat, cycling through all the F11 modes and back to the start with TaB kicked 3DV out of checkerboard mode and back to 3DTV Play (remote no longer offers 3D, only 2D to 3D conversion) To get the 3D option back on the remote and full 3DV, I had to reinitialize the nvcp to 3DTV Play, and then again back to checkerboard after using the remote to engage 3D, then load the game up again.

I'd be curious on why this nvcp 3D toggle is necessary if anyone has clues other than some HDMI hocus pocus, just happy to finally be able to see this one in 3D with full separation/convergence control. Haven't figured out how to stereo screenshot yet (nvidia macro currently doesn't work), once I do I'll post them in the discord screenshots.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Feisty_Fernando wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:43 pm I'd be curious on why this nvcp 3D toggle is necessary if anyone has clues other than some HDMI hocus pocus
It's due to driver heuristics. The 3DTV Play 24Hz limitation is hard coded somewhere where no one has found it.
This limit was overcome when Checkerboard was added as a format, but is also hard coded where it can't be found.

Since no one has found out where to make the changes manually, the only solution is using a workaround/trick that combines
using the unlocked refresh rate of 1080I@60 Checkerboard in the Nvidia drivers and then substituting SbS or O/U in place
of the Checkerboard format in the rendering pipeline via 3DMigoto's custom shader.

Nvidia had promised to add SbS at one time, but sadly, they never did.
Feisty_Fernando

3DNovice wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:39 pm
Feisty_Fernando wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:43 pm I'd be curious on why this nvcp 3D toggle is necessary if anyone has clues other than some HDMI hocus pocus
It's due to driver heuristics. The 3DTV Play 24Hz limitation is hard coded somewhere where no one has found it.
This limit was overcome when Checkerboard was added as a format, but is also hard coded where it can't be found.

Since no one has found out where to make the changes manually, the only solution is using a workaround/trick that combines
using the unlocked refresh rate of 1080I@60 Checkerboard in the Nvidia drivers and then substituting SbS or O/U in place
of the Checkerboard format in the rendering pipeline via 3DMigoto's custom shader.

Nvidia had promised to add SbS at one time, but sadly, they never did.

Appreciate the info! That link for the EDID registry workaround - looks like it's only for passive 3DTV's. Anyone ever try it with an active 3DTV? My 3DTV maxes out at 60Hz, if I set it to 120Hz I get an error signal.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Nvidia has never resolved their issues with interlaced vs progressive resolutions.
I personally have never been able to use the interlaced option in their custom resolutions configurator.

But there are existing interlaced options available in default drop down menu in some instances. Perhaps, this is what
he is selecting.

Interlaced resolutions can often be found and selected in the Microsoft display settings desktop options.

At least, this was my experience when using Windows 7. I'm still pretty new to W10.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Feisty_Fernando wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:14 pm That link for the EDID registry workaround - looks like it's only for passive 3DTV's. Anyone ever try it with an active 3DTV? My 3DTV maxes out at 60Hz, if I set it to 120Hz I get an error signal.
It's not for the EDID, it's for Nvidia registry settings.

He is setting the viewer type.

Code: Select all

@echo off
cd /d %systemroot%\system32

set path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D"
reg query %path%>null
if %errorlevel%==1 set path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D"
reg query %path%>null
if %errorlevel%==1 (
echo NVIDIA Stereo3D is not found!
pause
exit
)

reg add %path% /v StereoViewerType /t reg_dword /d 0x1 /f
pause
I suppose you could choose a different viewer type easily enough and it would still work? Dunno

I can't remember the viewer type corresponding entries, but they haven't changed since the pre 3D Vision days.

I'll look for the thread I'm thinking of, I looked through some old notes and could only find what I think was old Quadro stuff, but it shows that Nvidia supported a diverse array of stuff

Code: Select all

Enumerator: 
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_SHUTTER_GLASSES   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_VERTICAL_INTERLACED   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_TWINVIEW   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_NV17_SHUTTER_GLASSES_AUTO   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_NV17_SHUTTER_GLASSES_DAC0   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_NV17_SHUTTER_GLASSES_DAC1   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_COLOR_LINE   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_COLOR_INTERLEAVED   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_ANAGLYPH   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_HORIZONTAL_INTERLACED   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_SIDE_FIELD   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_SUB_FIELD   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_CHECKERBOARD   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_INVERSE_CHECKERBOARD   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_TRIDELITY_SL   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_TRIDELITY_MV   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_SEEFRONT   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_STEREO_MIRROR   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_FRAME_SEQUENTIAL   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_AUTODETECT_PASSIVE_MODE   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_AEGIS_DT_FRAME_SEQUENTIAL   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_OEM_EMITTER_FRAME_SEQUENTIAL   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_USE_HW_DEFAULT   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_DEFAULT_GL   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_NUM_VALUES   
WKS_API_STEREO_MODE_DEFAULT 

They can be found in some of the old Windows XP threads on the Nvidia forums
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

I found the thread I was thinking of, but I do not see the listings there. I forget where I saw them all.

But a few are documented
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... d-3d-regi/

I checked the Driver settings wiki, no luck there
http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=Dr ... e_Settings
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Fantastic news for 3D Vision monitor users...

masterotaku has updated the fix for W10 users to take advantage of the Flip Presentation mode so that the fix works without jumping
through any hoops anymore. It should also apply to W8/8.1 users.

Those of you that have been around for awhile might recall that this game uses the idTech Engine which had always been OpenGL, but
for this game they wrapped it to dx11. So 3DMigoto couldn't force Fullscreen, so the fix was made for SbS, Checkboard and Line Interleaved only.
But Helifax found a way to trick the game into fullscreen mode for 3D vision monitors.

Now it easy peasy, just drop in the fix
https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2021/09/t ... -dx11.html

Huge thanks to masterotaku for updating this

I'm guessing he leveraged this DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL, dunno.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

3DNovice wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:41 am I'm guessing he leveraged this DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL, dunno.
"He" isn't me. It was Kai who compiled 3Dmigoto with the ability to force flip model, after I noticed in some games that flip model was able to trigger 3D Vision in borderless mode (games that use flip model natively).

The new fix for The Evil Within 2 (https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2021/10/t ... -dx11.html) includes the same 3Dmigoto dll, because it had the same problem as the first game about not triggering 3D Vision.

Thanks to flip model, I was able to fix The Evil Within games with the ability to alt+tab (which I needed to do A LOT). Without that, trying to alt+tab always crashed the game (with the old method to launch it).
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

This is awesome, I played the first game on my TV.

Now I can enjoy the 2nd game on my monitor.

Yah, at first the Flip Presentation was confusing me, since I only recently started using W10.

The benefit of seamless alt tabbing is fantastic and very welcome, if it wasn't for it, I'd stay on W7

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”